to join the Xbox community. Not a member yet? Join now!

Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Playing them, beating them, moaning about them, celebrating them

Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim

Postby jarvo » 19 Dec 2010, 00:37

I know this place is dead but someone has to do it. The trailer is on the main page. This has to be my most anticipated game of all time ever in the world ever of all time ever of all my life ever on any console ever i realy cant wait for it. Is there anyone out there that may also be interested in Skyrim. I might get it when it comes out, if I can be arsed :D
jarvo 25

Postby Spiderless » 19 Dec 2010, 20:09

ELDER SCROLLS V WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just about sums up how I feel, should be amazing.
Spiderless 25

Postby jarvo » 19 Dec 2010, 20:23

The game is less than a year away, so hopefully we should be seeing some gameplay vids soon.
jarvo 25

Postby TinnoUnited » 21 Dec 2010, 14:35

It's funny how most people (including me) got more excited by the trailer of Skyrim, than they do with playing most games!
TinnoUnited 29

Postby DOGOFWAR » 29 Dec 2010, 12:34

I cannot wait for Skyrim, I want it now, just hope bethesda doesn't let us down but we know they won't, their gonna snatch Game Of The Year once again,I think.
I'm Scottish... so it's natural for me to offend you...
DOGOFWAR 15

Postby jarvo » 17 Jan 2011, 21:20

http://www.gameinformer.com/games/the_e ... ageIndex=1
This is going to be a long 10 months.
jarvo 25

Postby SolaceConquest » 18 Jan 2011, 01:47

TinnoUnited wrote:It's funny how most people (including me) got more excited by the trailer of Skyrim, than they do with playing most games!

Thats because in some cases the trailer can tunr out to be the best thing about a game lol. Rare but it happends.
Skyrim, if it makes the controls of Elder scrolls IV a bit better then I may consider it, it probably took me about twice as long for me to get about 75% through the game as it'd normally take me on those sorts of games.
SolaceConquest 9

Postby flemingstuart » 18 Jan 2011, 11:29

i am looking for some more games related to the fightings. i am very much interested in playing games for it...
flemingstuart 1

Postby Grummy » 18 Jan 2011, 20:58

I read that article too Jarvo, and now there are a few questions that I'd love to see answered. I'll post them here in the off chance the oxm guys happen to stumble in here, see them, then get to talk to Todd howard one day and get me my answers.

With these random missions, just how random are they?
Will the same person ALWAYS be giving this quest?
What if the person doesn't have any family in game, If they're dead, does the game generate a fresh NPC to act as a sibling who then takes on the job of quest giver instead?
I know that some quests are character specific now such as the 'mage will only give quest to another mage situation', in those situations will THAT mage always be the one to provide that quest?
Or will the quest float around, and could I get that quest from a different mage in a different city?
Expanding on that, do characters give specific quests, or can any random NPC give any random quest?
If the objective of the quest is to rescue someone, will that someone be a freshly created NPC just for this quest who is then removed from game once you have rescued him/her or will it be someone already in game who is then placed in the dungeon or cave of choice?
One. Warrior. Nation.

"The PS4 reminds me of a Kit-Kat, and I like Kit-Kats" as spoken by the Hetty.
Grummy 67
OXM Moderator

Postby Spiderless » 19 Jan 2011, 18:28

In response to Grummy's post.

I think if any random character were to be able to give any random quest things would get a little out of hand. Especially mage (or whatever) specific ones, imagine if a tramp asked you to collect the blood of a unicorn and was going to pay you 8000 gold, I would be a little suspicious... getting side tracked. It probably wouldn't work.

However I think the idea of taking pre-existing NPCs and placing them in caves so you can rescue them and then find them in a town later, is a cool one. It would just add a little extra realism and make the quests feel less pointless.
Spiderless 25

Postby Grummy » 19 Jan 2011, 23:56

Spiderless wrote:In response to Grummy's post.

I think if any random character were to be able to give any random quest things would get a little out of hand. Especially mage (or whatever) specific ones, imagine if a tramp asked you to collect the blood of a unicorn and was going to pay you 8000 gold, I would be a little suspicious... getting side tracked. It probably wouldn't work.

However I think the idea of taking pre-existing NPCs and placing them in caves so you can rescue them and then find them in a town later, is a cool one. It would just add a little extra realism and make the quests feel less pointless.

You misunderstood, I wasn't suggesting that at all. Basically what I'm asking is if specific NPC's have specific quests or if they can select from a pool that other similar NPC's can pick from. Example, will Mage A always give the same quest, or 1) is the quest he gives random, 2) could I get that same quest from a different mage?
With casual NPC's can any NPC provide a quest or is it only a select few? And same sub questions as with the mage, is it always the same quest or is it random and could I get that same quest froma different NPC.

At no point did I ever think or even suggest the possibility that Begger 1 could give me a mage quest to reward me 8000 gold or anything similar. I didn't think I'd need to spell that out as it is pretty much a given that that wouldn't be the case.
One. Warrior. Nation.

Grummy 67
OXM Moderator

Postby Spiderless » 20 Jan 2011, 18:28

"At no point did I ever think or even suggest the possibility that Begger 1 could give me a mage quest to reward me 8000 gold or anything similar. I didn't think I'd need to spell that out as it is pretty much a given that that wouldn't be the case."

I did wonder as I wrote my previous post, but you never know with the internet, there are some real idiots around. Still, my bad.

I still think the idea would only really work with fetch quests and other very simple ones, and I really hope there aren't too many of those. Otherwise it could get really complicated with who you can get what quests off.
Spiderless 25

Postby OXM Jonty » 20 Jan 2011, 19:37

Since you mention it - we've got Skyrim on the cover next month as readers will have hopefully noticed. We've also got some extra bits and pieces we'll be doing online - can't talk about it in detail, yet, because there's an embargo, but we'll try and answer as many of your questions as possible.
Editor

Email: jon.hicks@futurenet.com
Xbox Live: OXM Jonty
OXM Jonty
OXM Staff

Postby Grummy » 26 Jan 2011, 09:55

OXM Jonty wrote:Since you mention it - we've got Skyrim on the cover next month as readers will have hopefully noticed. We've also got some extra bits and pieces we'll be doing online - can't talk about it in detail, yet, because there's an embargo, but we'll try and answer as many of your questions as possible.

Cool, thanks Jon, I'll keep an eye out for that then. You can use my slew of questions to start off with :D

On top of my previous batch of questions, I also have these:

What else can you tell us about the combat, stealth and magic system?
Is stealth basically the same as last time? Improved? If so, how?
Is Magic still a button mash fest, or has it had an overhaul to make it worthwhile?
How do these 'fatalities' work?
Can we get one hit stealth kills as a higher skilled sneak/blade fighter?
Do we get magic 'Fatalities' of any kind?
How do they work in combat exactly?
Is combat still essentially a button mash fest but with added fun of these fatalities or does it have more substance?
Can we, for example, block and counter, then get in a our fatality, or do we still need to whittle down their health first?
Do we get a little voice that says 'Fatality' every time we use one?
What kind of age rating are they aiming for this time?
Still a pg/12 rating like they tried to get in Oblivion, or are they just throwing caution to the wind so to speak and going all out 18 like they have one with Fallout?
With that in mind, has that affected how the combat/magic/steal/archery/fatalities have been designed?

Feel free to work through those and pick the ones you liek (or aren't blocked from addressing atm) or just answer them all :D

Spider, I don't see why it would only work with fetch quests. Take the example of the woman asking you to rescue her daughter (if I remember correctly), the game then tracks your progress and sends you to a dungeon you've never explored before. Why couldn't that work elsewhere? (We don't know what cities are in Skyrim yet, so I'll use Oblivion for this example) If you got that rescue quest from a woman in Imperial City, why couldn't you get the same quest from a man in Anvil? There's no reason I can see that it wouldn't work.

Same for the mage example. Perhaps the destination could be fixed, but you could get the mission from any mage, I don't see why that would be a problem either.

When you consider how the game is supposed to track your progress, it's not unreasonable to assume it could track the quests its given you as well as the places you've been and the things you've done to further make your experience unique.
One. Warrior. Nation.

Grummy 67
OXM Moderator

Postby Spiderless » 27 Jan 2011, 18:50

Thinking on what I just wrote (and subsequently deleted) I believe I'm missing the point entirely... A random person comes up to you and asks you to rescue their daughter, could be anyone. So it would work with small, helping-people-out quests.

I thought you meant with quests that would get you somewhere, like climbing up the Guilds quests. That wouldn't work so well.

Don't worry, I'll slap and facepalm myself from here till next week.
Spiderless 25

Next