to access exclusive content, comment on articles, win prizes and post on our forums. Not a member yet? Join now!

Dragon Age 3 hiring begins - BioWare seeks "exceptional

Your comments on our articles.

Environment artists needed for unannounced next chapter

Sun gotta come up, rain gotta fall, BioWare gotta keep making fantasy RPGs. The studio's senior director of creative development Alistair McNally is looking for new blood to work on Dragon Age 3.... read more

Dragon Age 3 hiring begins - BioWare seeks "exceptional

Postby Bezza89 » 20 May 2011, 10:01

Better story, more environments, better ending, an option to have an automatic attack, story includes something of merit about the grey wardens rather than a 'Oh... Hi... Bye'.

The characters from the first game, I missed them in DA2, cameos or not.

I suppose all I want really is an actual sequel rather than a vaguely related spin-off!
Bezza89 65

Postby OXM ETboy » 20 May 2011, 10:28

No stupid real-time attack commands. You're not making an action game, BioWare, so don't bother pretending.
OXM ETboy
OXM Staff

Postby CunningSmile » 20 May 2011, 11:16

How about a plot? DA2 wasn't a story, it was three short stories packaged together.

And some choices would be nice. It's what Bioware are famous for, and I know I keep banging on about it but whether or not to side with Genocide ISN'T A CHOICE!!!!

In fact, looking at what most of us are asking for on this and other threads is simple: We want a game made by Bioware and not just a company with the same name.
I miss my care free youth when my biggest concern was where to hide the latest body
CunningSmile 68
OXM Moderator

Postby Alaric14 » 20 May 2011, 13:03

What everyone above said, with some emphasis on EA not screwing the pooch on this game.
Animator, writer, and NPC molester.
Alaric14 35

Postby Grummy » 20 May 2011, 13:40

No, definitely not, although they can go hump a dragon if they like...

Anyway, I like this announcement, sounds like they really want to make some great looking, diverse environments. That's definitely a great step forward.

I like the real time commands, prefer it vastly to the command list style from DA1/KoToR. I DO think there should be an option for both though.
One. Warrior. Nation.
Grummy 64
OXM Moderator

Postby Baryonyx » 20 May 2011, 14:31

Hopefully they'll build on the inroads made in Dragon Age II. They need to retain the taught, character focused story which Origins didn't have (because you could choose what, six different characters to be the hero?).

I'd perhaps like to see the game taken to Orlais now, maybe with a trip to the Anderfels as an excursion. If the designers are focused, they can create a great spectacle of Orlais as they did with Kirkwall, where Kirkwall was an integral element of the character of the game.

I wouldn't mind seeing a couple of more darkspawn this time too, because I love fighting them!
Excalipoor
Baryonyx 37

Postby Grummy » 20 May 2011, 15:12

I think you're on your own there Bary, loving Kirkwall, preferring the single character to the Origins.

Kirkwall was terrible, bland, ugly, repetitive, and the origins stories were the best part of the whole 2 games so far.

DA2 was just plain BLAND, a seriously average RPG experience.
One. Warrior. Nation.
Grummy 64
OXM Moderator

Postby msbhvn » 20 May 2011, 16:22

I wonder if they'll prioritise people who have something like "can work well under pressure to meet tight deadlines" on their CV? :lol:

Dragon Age II is now one of those things I will choose to pretend doesn't exist, like that terrible third X-Men film. Er, I mean, what third X-Men film? :D
msbhvn 66

Postby mistergrimm » 20 May 2011, 21:21

Face facts guys, Bioware struggle to make a decent sequel. DA2, KOTOR 2, and arguably Mass Effect 2 all broke the hearts of fans.

Let's just wait for them to come up with a new IP, because at least we know that will be awesome.
mistergrimm 33

Postby MutantMeteor » 20 May 2011, 22:19

Those complaining about lack of auto attack, you do know that this function can be turned on in the options menu.
MutantMeteor 34

Postby Alaric14 » 20 May 2011, 23:39

mistergrimm wrote:Face facts guys, Bioware struggle to make a decent sequel. DA2, KOTOR 2, and arguably Mass Effect 2 all broke the hearts of fans.

Let's just wait for them to come up with a new IP, because at least we know that will be awesome.

That's a bit harsh, isn't it?

Dragon Age 2's development team was being whipped into a two-year cycle by EA; had BioWare been an independent developer they could have made it the sequel it should have been.

KOTOR 2 was handed over to Obsidian for major development decisions, so while BioWare played their part it wasn't a large one.

As for Mass Effect 2, the so-called 'fans' who complained are in a minority; it scooped up multiple awards including best game of the year, and was recognised by critics and players alike as a nigh-on perfect experience.

Speaking of fans in general, it seems to me the best thing they do is complain about EVERYTHING, from comic book fans to video game and cult TV series fans, it's the same story every time and nothing is ever good enough to satisfy all of them. The sooner people stop listening to fans the happier they'll be for it.

While BioWare can't seem to make a perfect sequel, this is hardly unique to them alone. Who has made the perfect sequel (apart from Godfather Part II, obviously)?
Alaric14 35

Postby Bezza89 » 21 May 2011, 14:18

MutantMeteor wrote:Those complaining about lack of auto attack, you do know that this function can be turned on in the options menu.

What? Since when? I didn't know this, obviously, but my other points are still valid, and yes it is (all my previous points) all down to a short development time which was pressured by EA.
Bezza89 65

Postby mistergrimm » 22 May 2011, 20:17

Alaric14 wrote:That's a bit harsh, isn't it?

Dragon Age 2's development team was being whipped into a two-year cycle by EA; had BioWare been an independent developer they could have made it the sequel it should have been.

So how will the situation for DA3 be any different?

KOTOR 2 was handed over to Obsidian for major development decisions, so while BioWare played their part it wasn't a large one.

Wasn't aware of that, I retract my statement.

As for Mass Effect 2, the so-called 'fans' who complained are in a minority; it scooped up multiple awards including best game of the year, and was recognised by critics and players alike as a nigh-on perfect experience.

Seems to me like there's still a half and half divide between fans. Admittedly I only played the first game and am basing this on the debates I hear between friends and read on the web.

Speaking of fans in general, it seems to me the best thing they do is complain about EVERYTHING, from comic book fans to video game and cult TV series fans, it's the same story every time and nothing is ever good enough to satisfy all of them. The sooner people stop listening to fans the happier they'll be for it.

trufax, but I'll still complain about every Dragon Age sequel.

While BioWare can't seem to make a perfect sequel, this is hardly unique to them alone. Who has made the perfect sequel (apart from Godfather Part II, obviously)?

Can't be bothered to give you a mahoosive list, but pretty sure every Final Fantasy game was an improvement on the original, as an example. Also Battlefield: Bad Company 2.
mistergrimm 33

Postby Alaric14 » 22 May 2011, 21:04

Come on, now, the Final Fantasy series doesn't count as a sequel-based franchise! Each game is set in a completely different world, albeit with the same goals (off we go with the plucky princess and brooding hero to defeat God).

The only actual Final Fantasy sequel released to date (FFX2) was generally regarded as being...well, awful. Maybe FFXIII2 will be better received, but I doubt it.

Perhaps you're right about DA3, but I have a feeling EA may have to back off a little and let BioWare do their jobs a touch better. I can be optimistic, I suppose.

And you should play Mass Effect 2 if you haven't already; most of us who obsessed over Mass Effect (all 1200 gamerscore is mine, I'm proud to say) liked it a lot.
Alaric14 35

Postby Bezza89 » 23 May 2011, 11:44

Alaric14 wrote:And you should play Mass Effect 2 if you haven't already; most of us who obsessed over Mass Effect (all 1200 gamerscore is mine, I'm proud to say) liked it a lot.

Have you the 1355 from ME2? How did you find acquiring that? Was brutal for me, had to employ some numerous retracting and juggling of squadmates and guns to take.

And to that dude who hasn't played ME2, you cannot form an opinion on something if you haven't played/used it yourself. First hand facts are better than hearsay ALWAYS.
Bezza89 65

Next