to access exclusive content, comment on articles, win prizes and post on our forums. Not a member yet? Join now!

The introductions thread!

Anything that doesn’t fit anywhere else

The introductions thread!

Postby Murphy1978 » 11 Sep 2011, 23:06

Couldn't see a live thread on this, so thought I'd get an introductory thread here. Obviously only share as much information as you feel comfortable doing!

My name is Paul, 32 years old from Essex, and my gamer tag is Murphy1978.

I have had a 360 for 3 years. Prior to that been a largely Nintendo gamer but sold it all for the 360. Married with three children between 1 and 7, work full time as a Store Manager in McDonald's, and I also foster a 15 year old lad.

Outside of work and games I support Tottenham Hotspur and don't really have a lot of time for much else :P

Mainly play Gears and Fifa, with a smattering of Battlefield but will probably buy most games that come out this Autumn!
Last edited by Murphy1978 on 11 Sep 2011, 23:22, edited 1 time in total.
Murphy1978 30

Re: The introductions thread!

Postby KernowDevil23 » 11 Sep 2011, 23:19

New forum, new introductory thread. Good idea mate.

For those that don't know me, here's the run down.....

My real name is Gareth, I am 29 years old and I'm married with two children, a boy aged 8 and a girl aged 16 months. I have been a moderator with OXM for about 5 years, mainly under my previous username of VRossi46.

We live in a tiny little fishing village in Cornwall (hence my shocking online speeds....) and I work as an Area Sales Consultant for Wurth UK.

I own pretty much every game system on the market because I'm a bit of a tech geek at heart but most of what little time I have for gaming is spent on the 360 and PS3. My username/gamertag is derived from the Cornish language version of Cornwall (Kernow) and the devil part refers to my love for Manchester United (yeah, yeah I know.....glory hunter, don't go every week, not a proper fan etc...etc...).

I think that pretty much covers the main points!

:D
I don't care if a game is "the same every year." So is pizza. Stop buying the bad pizza. Buy the good pizza.
KernowDevil23 56

Postby Decent_Jam » 11 Sep 2011, 23:31

Woah an introductions thread, this takes me back...

I'm James, 23, and a relative Xbox newbie having originally purchased a Wii, so I've only been Xbox gaming since about 2008...I think.

Anyway, I'm a fairly terrible gamer, as I frequently point out, to the extent that I have only just achieved level 22 on Battlefield:BC2 and have completely barely any games ever (quite shocking to be honest).

I'm a fan of RTS but have yet to buy one on the 360 which I have really fallen in love with (Red Alert 3 was closest, and very good). Otherwise I play FPS, can't really do RPGs.

Otherwise I'm generally a massive geek and a journalist, in which I often write about games, and do all manner of that kind of stuff. I write a blog called This Is Entertainment (http://jamesmparry.wordpress.com if you are interested) about film, TV, games, music and cyberculture.

I have a standard HDMI Xbox 360 with a 250GB HDD and no Kinect at present.
Decent_Jam

Game: GT - "Decent Jam"
Tweet: @James_Parry
Email: jamesmparry87@gmail.com
Site - This Is Entertainment: http://jamesmparry.wordpress.com/

Xbox One : Titanfall, Battlefield 4, Killer Instinct, Forza 5, head to OXM Nights for a meet up.
Decent_Jam 58

Postby Murphy1978 » 12 Sep 2011, 00:33

Decent_Jam wrote:I have a standard HDMI Xbox 360 with a 250GB HDD and no Kinect at present.

Oh, good remind. I have Kinect, but either it's rubbish or I am (probably the latter, barely enough room in my lounge...)

Using the 360 S with the 250 HD. Originally had the 60G pro. I'm a terrible gamer too, but love playing nonetheless. :lol:
Murphy1978 30

Postby Guilty Sparks » 12 Sep 2011, 09:51

Formerly known as IIFBDIIRaz on these forums.... I've been on here for around five years and still no job offer !

My real name is Ryan, a few people prefer using my middle name - Adam, i'm 20 work as a QA Manager at a security company (Security gates,CCTV Etc.)

Own a 360s w/kinect, wii and formerly a ps3, support Manchester United as i live in manchester and theres only one true team up here :)

When i'm not out with my lass or mates, i'm either watching my beloved team or playing on the 360.

Feel free to add me - Guilty Sparks

Kernow is that winzer wurth you work for ? we buy quite a lot from you guys.
Oracle? Great Journey? Why do you meddlers insist on using such inaccurate verbiage?
Guilty Sparks 37

Postby CunningSmile » 12 Sep 2011, 10:51

Hi. My real names Ben, but I've been using CunningSmile online for so many years it almost feels more natural. I'm also terrible with names, so even after reading your intros I'll still refer to you by user name.

I'm a 34 year old accountant and economist (hence my rather wordy explanations for business decisions like whether or not companies release games) working for the University of Southampton.

I'm a terrible gamer more interested in story then challenge which is why most of my games are played on easy and I'm hardly ever seen playing multiplayer. In my spare time between work, study for professional qualifications and reading I also study Kendo and enjoy hitting my heavily armoured girlfriend with wooden swords :lol:

Gamertag is CunningSmi1e, feel free to add me.
What do you get when you cross a joke with a rhetorical question?
CunningSmile 68
OXM Moderator

Postby KernowDevil23 » 12 Sep 2011, 15:35

Guilty Sparks wrote:Kernow is that winzer wurth you work for ? we buy quite a lot from you guys.

Indeed, although Winzer Wurth is no longer a going concern. All divisions are now under the Wurth UK banner i.e Automotive, Cargo, Wood & Metal, Construction and Solar. Let me know if your consultant is a nob! :lol:
I don't care if a game is "the same every year." So is pizza. Stop buying the bad pizza. Buy the good pizza.
KernowDevil23 56

Postby Guilty Sparks » 12 Sep 2011, 15:40

KernowDevil23 wrote:
Guilty Sparks wrote:Kernow is that winzer wurth you work for ? we buy quite a lot from you guys.

Indeed, although Winzer Wurth is no longer a going concern. All divisions are now under the Wurth UK banner i.e Automotive, Cargo, Wood & Metal, Construction and Solar. Let me know if your consultant is a nob! :lol:

Well he staples the bottom of his pants because there too long, other than that he seems to be a pretty decent guy :)
Oracle? Great Journey? Why do you meddlers insist on using such inaccurate verbiage?
Guilty Sparks 37

Postby Decent_Jam » 12 Sep 2011, 21:10

Interesting how many of us have said we're terrible, British modesty/pessimism at its finest!

I know what you mean about usernames, people call me DJ even when chatting on XBL, even people I know in the 'real' world, it's bizarre.

My username was chosen by Microsoft chat (well back in the day!) when I put in my full name it came up with a few possibilities and this is the one I've gone with ever since.
Decent_Jam

Xbox One : Titanfall, Battlefield 4, Killer Instinct, Forza 5, head to OXM Nights for a meet up.
Decent_Jam 58

Postby Bezza89 » 13 Sep 2011, 10:39

My real name is Tom, I am currently an unemployed Forensic science graduate.

I have had an eggbox then a 360 since crimbo 2001 (when splinter cell came out), before that the only game worth playing (to me) was MGS on ps1. Play games for their stories, but I do like a challenge and playing online with my mates and forum friends is also pretty good. I'm online every evening from 7 till around 10 (no headphones).

My gamertag is derived from my surname, where my mothers maiden name is 89. Ha ha, I'm also evidently hilarious.

Add me if you want to volunteer to be one of the 17 peeps needed to be blown up in a building in BFBC2 as it is the only achievement I have left, or to play it normally online along with GoW3, Halo Reach and MW2.

PS I am not going to add you if I don't have a clue why you're adding me.

Fav games - Mass Effect, Dragon Age, GoW, Halo, MGS, KotoR and Scrolls. Although I like a lot of others.
It's all in the game...
Bezza89 65

Postby jarvo » 13 Sep 2011, 15:25

Hi my name is Dave and I'm an alcoholic......... shit wrong place.
I'm 35 and and I have 3 kids 7,11 and12. As a result of my last boss being a dick I am currently unemployed.
I'm from Middlesbrough but I live in Queensbury in Bradford now.
I didn't post much on the old forum but I like this one a lot more so I'll be sticking around.
My GT is BigFatHairyDeal. It comes from something me and my mates used to say to each othr back in Boro, if one of us had some news or some gossip we would say it. It was a humorous way of saying we dont care. Funny I know.
I've had a 360 from day one and I had a xbox and Gamecube last gen. I also have a PSN acount but I'm without a PS3 for now.
I'll be getting Battlefield 3 and Skyrim for definate but I'll have to see what else I can get closer to release dates.
I only have BFBC2 and FIFA 11 at the mo due to trade ins.
Thats enough about me, what about YOU?
GT: BigFatHairyDeal
jarvo 25

Postby Cdr JamesCool » 13 Sep 2011, 18:36

Hello. My name is James, hence the gamertag Cdr JamesCool (feel free to add me if you want), and I'm 18 years old and I'm soon to start a University course.
I currently reside in the south of England but I'm actually from Oxfordshire. Despite that I support Derby County F.C since I have family from there aswell as Real Madrid C.F since I also have family in Madrid.

I have an Xbox 360 slim 250gb without Kinect (as it's too pricey for me) and tend to play RPGs like Mass Effect and Fallout 3, and do play some shooters, mainly Halo Reach and the Battlefield games, so I'll be getting Skyrim, Saints Row 3 and Battlefield 3 plus some other games. Might get Gears 3 but unsure.

(Also I don't word things properly, or at least I don't think I do). :?
Skyrim and Saints Row 3 means no more social life.
Cdr JamesCool 25

Postby Decent_Jam » 15 Sep 2011, 18:32

Perhaps stickying this might be an idea? Just a thought....
Decent_Jam

Decent_Jam 58

Postby KernowDevil23 » 15 Sep 2011, 18:40

Decent_Jam wrote:Perhaps stickying this might be an idea? Just a thought....

Done. :D
KernowDevil23 56

Postby VirtualCynic » 16 Sep 2011, 00:29

Hey Everyone,

I'm Shaun, 43, and I work as a Theatre Nurse in Staffordshire, have two boys aged 6 and 3 1/2.

Been a gamer since my parents bought me an Atari VCS back in 1979, since then owned various consoles and computers such as a Sega Master System, Mega Drive, ZX Spectrum 48K, N64, PS1 and 2. Been playing World of WarCraft exclusively for the last four years, eventually gave up on it due to its repetative nature and an appalling experience with Blizzard's customer service.

So my 250Gb XBox 360 is my first console since 2005, bought one six weeks ago after a work colleague (thanks Dan!) lent me his to try out. Immediately hooked. Now got the hang of playing with a controller again after so long with a mouse/keyboard combo. Must say the 360's controllers are the most comfortable I've played with, make Sony's controllers look cheap and small.

I like to try out most types of games, though I tend to favour 1st/3rd person shooters and action games; currently playing Assassin's Creed, COD: Black Ops and MW, Halo Reach, and Bulletstorm (which I bought based on OXM's review and recent Games on Demand news item, and it was £20 well spent, thanks). Have just finished Portal, and have completed my first run through of Mass Effect, fantastic game. Will get ME2, might wait for it to come out on GOD first. I do tend to buy all my games on GOD due to a lack of space. My two boys, C and H, love any Lego game (currently on Batman and POTC), ilomilo, Bastion, and Portal.

No Kinect yet, hopefully get one for (or before) Christmas.

I picked up issue 75 of OXM with my console. Great read, informative and well laid out, despite the odd missing page... :wink:

So my gamertag is VirtualCynic, because I am a cynic by nature, and because my avatar is, you know... virtual. :oops:
(I drew the line at TiredOldFart - or is it taken?)

Anyway I've rambled on long enough. See you on the forums or on Live. :D

Shaun.
Gamertag: G4m3r D4d
VirtualCynic 27

Next