to access exclusive content, comment on articles, win prizes and post on our forums. Not a member yet? Join now!

New Mobile Phone. Any Ideas?!

Anything that doesn’t fit anywhere else

New Mobile Phone. Any Ideas?!

Postby KernowDevil23 » 16 Nov 2011, 20:15

Once again I am coming to the guys and girls of this community to assist me in making a life altering decision!

My current phone contract ends this month and I now have to decide what to get next and I would love to hear your ideas. Before anyone screams "it has to be an iPhone" at me, I'm not interested as I've had every iPhone apart from the latest one, added to the fact that I'm getting an iPad 2 as a Christmas bonus from work.

I have also had the HTC Desire HD, so any other suggestions are welcome, especially if anyone has had any first hand experience of Windows Phone 7.5 (Mango).

I'm currently looking at the Nokia Lumia 800 (Windows phone) and the Samsung Galaxy Nexus (Android 4.0).

Cheers all! :D
I don't care if a game is "the same every year." So is pizza. Stop buying the bad pizza. Buy the good pizza.
KernowDevil23 56

Re: New Mobile Phone. Any Ideas?!

Postby Decent_Jam » 17 Nov 2011, 01:23

I currently have an HTC Desire S, which is almost the same as the HTC Sensation, just a slightly lower pix camera.

Frankly I love it, love android and all and the phone itself is very sleek, easy to use, reliable, decent battery considering. Had to download a different keyboard just because the placing of the talktext button was inconvenient for me but dead easy to do, would highly recommend it. Unless you have trouble with screens or are going to take a lot of pictures there's no need for an HD.
Decent_Jam

Game: GT - "Decent Jam"
Tweet: @James_Parry
Email: jamesmparry87@gmail.com
Site - This Is Entertainment: http://jamesmparry.wordpress.com/

Xbox One : Titanfall, Battlefield 4, Killer Instinct, Forza 5, head to OXM Nights for a meet up.
Decent_Jam 58

Postby CunningSmile » 17 Nov 2011, 10:05

Regardless of the phone I would suggest going to Carphone Warehouse to get your contract. I've never met such friendly staff as when I went in a few months back, and I managed to get the Orange contract I was already on for a fiver a month less then going to Orange direct, and they threw in a free 360 slim with Kinect. My girlfriend is already eyeing up a free laptop when her contract's up in a couple of months.
What do you get when you cross a joke with a rhetorical question?
CunningSmile 68
OXM Moderator

Postby kryptonick » 18 Nov 2011, 00:56

I recently got a motorola Atrix on T-mobile. Its certainly not top of the range now (that'd surely be the Galaxy S II) but it's everything I wanted and at an amazing price. In my experience going to the service provider via quidco is the best option. I got £160 cashback when I got my Desire on orange, and got £80 cashback + £5 a month discount on this recent contract. I'm getting the same as I did before for £15 a month, I was paying £30 on Orange - mental considering they are both part of the same organisation.

I'm actually looking at phone contracts again, for my girlfriend this time. I really can't see past the Atrix on Tmobile - £20 for 600 mins, unlimited texts and 500mb data usage, with £80 cashback. A fiver more than I'm paying but still great imo.
kryptonick 10

Postby SidTheSloth » 18 Nov 2011, 09:30

The Lumia looks really good both aesthetically and functionally - but then i got a 4s on Monday so what would i know (first one since the 3g, can't believe how much it's improved in some places and completely not changed in others - contacts?!! :roll:

Seriously, im a mac/ipad etc user so 'app-investment' & music wise there was no point changing for me, but if you can get away from the dark side i urge you to do so!

The mango setup is designed in the style of the new 360 dashboard (which i think i read you've got now on the beta?) so if you like that then you should be ok with the phone! My colleague is due an upgrade and this is the one im pushing him towards anyway just so i can have a look at it! :D

I was in the carphone wh last time i was back over there and those free laptop/console deals cunning mentions are pretty awesome too, not sure if they'll be on a brand new handset like the lumia - but they were on the Galaxy S2 i think? But then pretty sure you already have a ps3/360 so not sure you need it! :wink:
Sid is waving. Waving goodbye. It means he's leaving now. He's going. His final message to you, dear reader, is to always wash your hands after making a big pooh, and to remember that Hyrule Warriors is a thing…!
SidTheSloth 53

Postby KernowDevil23 » 11 Dec 2011, 21:30

Well I thought I'd let you lot sleep easier by letting you know what I've finally decided!...... :lol:

I've plumped for the Nokia Lumia 800. My decision was based on being sick of iPhones (and also having an iPad 2 on the way!) and being bored of Android phones, hence why I've gone with the Windows Phone 7 option.

The amount of reviews I've read over the past month is bordering on perverse and not one of them was able to come up with any real negative points about the phone so I thought I'd give it a go. :mrgreen:
I don't care if a game is "the same every year." So is pizza. Stop buying the bad pizza. Buy the good pizza.
KernowDevil23 56

Postby KernowDevil23 » 17 Dec 2011, 02:58

I'm sure I would enjoy it if I had it but the bloody thing is on back order for "10-15 days" according to my order status..... :(
KernowDevil23 56

Postby KernowDevil23 » 22 Dec 2011, 20:54

Well I finally had my Lumia delivered a couple of days ago and must say that I am properly impressed with it. I know that we all get a little gooey eyed with a new toy but I can honestly say that I have not been this impressed with a new bit of tech since the original iPhone.

The Windows Phone OS is bloody amazing and everything is structured to make the phone user friendly rather than a total geek fest (ahem....Android....).

If anyone is looking for a new phone and would like something that's out of the norm, look no further. Nokia are back in the game and have scored a cracking goal!!! 8)
KernowDevil23 56

Postby STE MO » 10 Jun 2012, 21:18

KernowDevil23 wrote:Well I finally had my Lumia delivered a couple of days ago and must say that I am properly impressed with it. I know that we all get a little gooey eyed with a new toy but I can honestly say that I have not been this impressed with a new bit of tech since the original iPhone.

The Windows Phone OS is bloody amazing and everything is structured to make the phone user friendly rather than a total geek fest (ahem....Android....).

If anyone is looking for a new phone and would like something that's out of the norm, look no further. Nokia are back in the game and have scored a cracking goal!!! 8)

Now you've had the phone for a good few months how is it? I was looking at one the other day as the wife had her iPhone stolen and needed to get her a new one, what with fathers day coming up, thought I could wrangle a new phone out of it. Lol
STE MO 49

Postby KernowDevil23 » 10 Jun 2012, 21:57

Still love it mate. The Lumia is a fantastic phone and one that I won't be upgrading unless something amazing comes along. Plus because it's not a "new" phone now, some of the deals available are cheap as chips. You won't regret it in my opinion.
KernowDevil23 56

Postby STE MO » 10 Jun 2012, 23:12

Is it still really easy to put music on, like it used to be, I've had enough of the iPhone/iPod syncing crap to last a life time.
STE MO 49

Postby KernowDevil23 » 10 Jun 2012, 23:31

It uses Zune software which in all honesty is pretty simple to use. Not too dissimilar to iTunes though but to be fair, like I said, it's simple.
KernowDevil23 56

Postby Decent_Jam » 15 Aug 2012, 23:34

jasonmilsont wrote:We also see the use of videophones quite easily on information programming. This is another advancement that is probably now taken for provided in the mobile cellphone market. We are also beginning to see more public media programs appear on their mobile mobile phones.

It's that time again Mr K...
Decent_Jam

Game: GT - "Decent Jam"
Tweet: @James_Parry
Email: jamesmparry87@gmail.com
Site - This Is Entertainment: http://jamesmparry.wordpress.com/

Xbox One : Titanfall, Battlefield 4, Killer Instinct, Forza 5, head to OXM Nights for a meet up.
Decent_Jam 58

Postby KernowDevil23 » 16 Aug 2012, 21:55

:lol:

Done.
KernowDevil23 56

Postby KernowDevil23 » 19 Nov 2012, 02:32

*BUMP*

Just getting used to my new "dog & bone" *(Galaxy Note 2) and so far, I can quite comfortably say that it's hands down the best phone I've ever owned.

Thank you and good night!
KernowDevil23 56

Next