to access exclusive content, comment on articles, win prizes and post on our forums. Not a member yet? Join now!

2011 game developer casualties

Playing them, beating them, moaning about them, celebrating them

2011 game developer casualties

Postby Carpet Monkey » 02 Dec 2011, 23:45

I think this is important and something that shouldn't be forgotten this year. It's easy to forget during this christmas season of gaming with all these huge games coming out that the games industry is really struggling on the one hand. Here are a selection of 12 developers that have gone under this hear - includes makers of some genuinely fantastic games that didn't get the attention they deserved.

http://uk.games.ign.com/articles/121/1213678p1.html

I hope this doesn't happen to developers of games like Enslaved and Rayman - it's these games that are going to really push gaming forward and raise the bar in some aspects (enslaved for it's genuine fully acted and voiced characters like never done before, and rayman for it's utterly and fully convincing world, character and charm).
Gamertag : Carpet Monkey
Carpet Monkey 42

Re: 2011 game developer casualties

Postby Decent_Jam » 03 Dec 2011, 10:29

Sad times indeed, in a way I feel even worse for the developers that are still here but are being crushed underfoot by publishers and their work suffering as a result.

This is a hard time for the industry, as it is for us all, but the fact that quality games such as the ones we've had this year, particularly in the past few months, can still exist, gives me hope for the future.

Any predictions on who might fall in 2012?
Decent_Jam

Game: GT - "Decent Jam"
Tweet: @James_Parry
Email: jamesmparry87@gmail.com
Site - This Is Entertainment: http://jamesmparry.wordpress.com/

Xbox One : Titanfall, Battlefield 4, Killer Instinct, Forza 5, head to OXM Nights for a meet up.
Decent_Jam 58

Postby KernowDevil23 » 03 Dec 2011, 11:58

Decent_Jam wrote:Any predictions on who might fall in 2012?

EA and Activision.......... :D
I don't care if a game is "the same every year." So is pizza. Stop buying the bad pizza. Buy the good pizza.
KernowDevil23 56

Postby Decent_Jam » 04 Dec 2011, 16:13

KernowDevil23 wrote:
Decent_Jam wrote:Any predictions on who might fall in 2012?

EA and Activision.......... :D

If that happened, we'd pretty much be left with Capcom and find ourselves buried in HD remakes of everything....possibly even HD remakes of HD remakes...
Decent_Jam

Game: GT - "Decent Jam"
Tweet: @James_Parry
Email: jamesmparry87@gmail.com
Site - This Is Entertainment: http://jamesmparry.wordpress.com/

Xbox One : Titanfall, Battlefield 4, Killer Instinct, Forza 5, head to OXM Nights for a meet up.
Decent_Jam 58

Postby Grummy » 04 Dec 2011, 18:16

Silicone Knights. Possibly the absolute worst dev studio still actively destroying games and setting the industry back by years. I almost hope they DO go under next year. I'll be sorry for those who have lost their jobs, but at least we won't have to suffer any more of those abominations they try to pass off as games.
One. Warrior. Nation.
Grummy 64
OXM Moderator

Postby KernowDevil23 » 04 Dec 2011, 19:23

Decent_Jam wrote:If that happened, we'd pretty much be left with Capcom and find ourselves buried in HD remakes of everything....possibly even HD remakes of HD remakes...

Not a lot different from what EA and Activision churn out each year then! :lol:
I don't care if a game is "the same every year." So is pizza. Stop buying the bad pizza. Buy the good pizza.
KernowDevil23 56

Postby Carpet Monkey » 04 Dec 2011, 20:05

BOOM!
Gamertag : Carpet Monkey
Carpet Monkey 42

Postby SidTheSloth » 04 Dec 2011, 20:09

Does anyone know what happened to Mistwalker studios - the guys who did Lost Odyssey? Nowhere can i find news that they've gone and their website still exists, but with bugger all on it and no mention of any upcoming games?

I don't think they will go under but I'd nominate THQ as one who should watch themselves. Not sure if they're not more of a publisher than a developer nowadays but codemasters (and i think they publish saints row?) titles aside they've got some dodgy games despite some good licenses (warhammer/wwe/ufc). Darksiders 2 is due next year i think which i'm keeping an eye on but otherwise i can't see anything really big coming from them.
Sid is waving. Waving goodbye. It means he's leaving now. He's going. His final message to you, dear reader, is to always wash your hands after making a big pooh, and to remember that Hyrule Warriors is a thing…!
SidTheSloth 53

Postby CunningSmile » 05 Dec 2011, 12:13

Grummy wrote:Silicone Knights. Possibly the absolute worst dev studio still actively destroying games and setting the industry back by years. I almost hope they DO go under next year. I'll be sorry for those who have lost their jobs, but at least we won't have to suffer any more of those abominations they try to pass off as games.

I wouldn't mind so much if it wasn't for the fact that each mediocre game seems to take them five years during which time they never shut up about how it will be the greatest game ever. How do these guys keep getting the money?
What do you get when you cross a joke with a rhetorical question?
CunningSmile 68
OXM Moderator

Postby comabob » 05 Dec 2011, 12:52

Grummy wrote:Silicone Knights. Possibly the absolute worst dev studio still actively destroying games and setting the industry back by years. I almost hope they DO go under next year. I'll be sorry for those who have lost their jobs, but at least we won't have to suffer any more of those abominations they try to pass off as games.

Whgile i can comment on Xmen Destiny or Eternal Darkness - Too Human was ok imho

Ive still go a save game file for the highly doubful sequel...

sorry bout any typos ive been posting lately - my keyboard is on the fritz and i dont have the patience o spellchek
"The boy said he's from hell. Maybe that's where we're going..."
comabob 52

Postby SidTheSloth » 16 Jan 2012, 08:15

SidTheSloth wrote:I don't think they will go under but I'd nominate THQ as one who should watch themselves. Not sure if they're not more of a publisher than a developer nowadays but codemasters (and i think they publish saints row?) titles aside they've got some dodgy games despite some good licenses (warhammer/wwe/ufc). Darksiders 2 is due next year i think which i'm keeping an eye on but otherwise i can't see anything really big coming from them.

Still a bit premature - but you heard it here first, and i assure you, if it happens you'll never hear the end of it! :wink:

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/33 ... eneral-RSS

Seriously, i'd rather they didn't even come close to going under but they've been releasing dodgy game after dodgy game for a while now (although my pc playing friend assures me dawn of war 2 is excellent - although read a post by grummy yesterday which suggests its console counterpart is anything but?!) so hope if nothing else this wakes them up!

As ever with the internet though, it's far from certain - THQ's (alleged) response:

"THQ has not cancelled its 2014 line-up, and has not made any decisions regarding the planned MMO. As part of the ongoing review of our business, we have made decisions to ensure that the company is strategically addressing the most attractive markets. As we have previously announced, we have dramatically reduced our commitment to the kids' boxed games sector which leads to a significantly more focused release schedule moving forward. Our slate for calendar 2012 and beyond is focused on high-quality core games and continues to build our digital platform and business. We are excited for our pipeline of original and high-quality content along with our relationships with some of the best talent in the industry."
http://games.on.net/article/14672/THQ_Not_Actually_Cancelling_Dark_Millennium_Online_or_Anything_Else_Thanks
Sid is waving. Waving goodbye. It means he's leaving now. He's going. His final message to you, dear reader, is to always wash your hands after making a big pooh, and to remember that Hyrule Warriors is a thing…!
SidTheSloth 53

Postby schwepterbrowser » 09 Nov 2012, 16:44

Your hopes are getting closer to being realised: Silicon Knights ordered to cease production, recall and destroy every single copy of every game they’ve ever developed using the Unreal Engine

Pick up a copy quick if you want to play any of 'em.
schwepterbrowser 54

Postby Grummy » 09 Nov 2012, 17:01

Yup, I just pm'd a link to that to Ed a few minutes ago, thought it might be something worth them writing about considering the bonkers order to destroy the game.

Hey, I'll be glad that they go under and can't inflict their games on us anymore, and I hate Dyack just for existing, but this ruling is too far imo.
One. Warrior. Nation.
Grummy 64
OXM Moderator

Postby schwepterbrowser » 09 Nov 2012, 20:45

I've actually just ordered X-Men: Destiny new for £9 as I wouldn't mind giving it a go. Can only find Too Human used at a reasonable price - is it worth giving it a go at £4, or is it truly terrible? Then would it be worth getting anyway as somewhat of a collector's item as the number of copies will no doubt plumit?

*Edit: Ordered it anyway, nothing to lose really at £4. If you're right I may have just purchased the worst pair of games I ever have, Grummy...
schwepterbrowser 54

Postby Grummy » 10 Nov 2012, 00:01

Too Human wasn't awful, but it was bland and average, and fairly ugly. The real problem with it though is that dying regularly is part of the experience, which is difficult to adjust to with modern games and their 'never die' gameplay style. Now this wouldn't be so bad, except every death is coupled with its very own death animation that takes about 40 years to complete. Every single time, and it is unskippable. It becomes outright infuriating. Bottom line for the game is that its poor, simply because it has nothing really positive going for it. It's a big bowl of 'meh' with a side of crap.

X-Men destiny is an easy 1000, I knocked it out in a couple of days rental. Not a terrible game actually, but nothing special either. It's different though, so it has that going for it, but its a small redeeming factor really.
One. Warrior. Nation.
Grummy 64
OXM Moderator

Next