to join the Xbox community. Not a member yet? Join now!

Skyrim DLC: eight things we want

Your comments on our articles.

How Bethesda should pad out the biggest RPG on Xbox 360

Skyrim's been out for a while, and while the idea of cleaning out the disc still prompts hysterical laughter round the office, we've begun to wonder about the contents of those timed Xbox exclusive expansions.... read more

Skyrim DLC: eight things we want

Postby EdDeRs1 » 05 Dec 2011, 19:23

personaly, i think that when you complete the Imperial or Stromcloack questline you should get orders from high command to go to the Summerset Isle strat a gurrilar resistance movement against the nast elves, and then with a secret unit of the re-established Blades/Stromcloack elites, you take a few fortress cities and lead the great armys of The Empire/Stormcloacks to victory and restore worship of Talos!!
rule 1: im always right
rule 2: if im not, rule 1 applies
EdDeRs1 39

Re: Skyrim DLC: eight things we want

Postby phil1777 » 05 Dec 2011, 19:51

A trip to the khajiit homeland, as there aren't enough in the game for me and they are without a doubt the best characters and classes.
phil1777 5

Postby falcon » 05 Dec 2011, 20:35

I'd love the chance to take it to the Thalmor, either by invading the Summerset Isles or by trying to liberate areas they've conquered, which I think includes Elsweyr and a bit of Hammerfell. Seems like the logical progression of the civil war quest line no matter which side you choose.

I also like your idea of improving smithing - It'd be good if you could mix and match materials and style, as in make a dagger with the shape and style of an elven one, but have it the colour of ebony but with the stats of daedric.
falcon 16

Postby dragonheartbe » 05 Dec 2011, 21:58

the last dwarf alive was in morrowwind he gave you a mission en the main quest
dragonheartbe 29

Postby smjenkins77 » 06 Dec 2011, 02:59

Isn't 2012 the 10th anniversary of Morrowind? Hmm.
smjenkins77 14

Postby Gazisdaman » 06 Dec 2011, 08:53

you can actually go to morrowind granted it's not properly animated nor has it any occupants but if you travel further enough to the east you'll eventually hit a huge grey spread of land, morrowind
Gazisdaman 35

Postby Grummy » 06 Dec 2011, 09:56

Yagrum Bagarn, the only (known!!) living Dwemer still on Nirn. He survived the Dwemer rapture because he was currently on holiday in another plain of existence. As you do. There's nothing to say there aren't other Dwemer still around, or other dwemer who dodged the rapture, but it is highly unlikely as Bagarn only lived for so long because he is immortal (thanks to having Corpus disease), not too likely any other dwemer around in his position.

But I wouldn't be at all surprised to see them make some sort of return, this is the second in 3 games where they've played a major role after all, and noone really knows where they went, so there is no reason why they can't return again at some point.

Interesting side note about the Dwemer, for those of you unaware of the history, they're the Elder Scrolls version of High Fantasy Dwarves, however they technically weren't Dwarves, they were just another race of elves who were just as tall as the others, they were first called dwarves by Giants because, lets face it, to a giant, they ARE dwarves. But here's an interesting idea, in real life, it's generally accepted that people are taller today than they were 2000 years ago. Using that logic, its been over 2000 years since the Dwemer were raptured, if they came back today, it is distinctly possible they WOULD be Dwarves by comparison. They'd be the same height as they were when they left, but everyone else is much taller.

The horse combat, I'd love to see, but I doubt it will happen as it would require a complete rework of the whole game engine to fit it in, it would be a LOT of work. Same goes for my desire to see more comprehensive combat with blocking and countering etc, it would work, and work well, just like Horse combat would, but it would require a lot of changes to the engine.

Again, in a similar vein we have new weapon types, Spears, Crossbows and throwing weapons. A friend raised a very good point the other day, Spears are one of the very first types of weapon, a long pointed stick, around long before swords and axes, why leave them out? Put them in now, they need to be there. Crossbows I want because I like to differentiate between them and bows. I always feel like bows are for professional skilled archers who use bows as their primary primary where as a crossbow is for someone who wants to add some powerful ranged attacks to his arsenal, but is not his primary source. Granted, that's only a roleplaying thing for me, but even so, the option would be very welcome. Similarly for throwing weapons. They don't need to be a primary weapon needing carfeul aim etc. Just let us carry 3 or 4 of them at a time, and make them retrievable at all times, then when we use them, just give them a quickfire button. It would feel so much better playing as a barbarian if I can launch a small dagger at an enemy charging towards me, or indeed launch one at an enemy I am charging at to give me bit of an advantage. It would really change much but it would add a certain depth to the experience.

Smithing is one they can fix though. As much as I love the smithing, it hasn't changed anything, all you do is improve weapons instead of repair them. I was hoping that taking up smithing would allow me a chance to really pick and choose my own equipment, work my own styles of armour and weapons, and most importantly, choose one or two particular types to specialize in. When you get to 100% in smithing you can upgrade everything really high and make everything on offer. Great, but at the end, your best armour is still Daedric and Glass on either side (well Dragon for light armour, but I'm discounting that for now), no difference to how it has been previously. Why can't I take it one step further and choose one particular material of armour and weaponry to specialize in? Break it down further and make it so you, as a master smith, can choose 1 material for weapons and 1 material for armour to specialize in, meaning you can improve them to levels even better than the best daedric or glass available. Yes Daedric armour is cool, but what if you really prefer good old Steel plate? You should be able to become a master with it. Also, what if you're using light armour and take up smithing to improve those armours? Your best weapons are still DAedric, so if you want the best weapons you need to plow points into smithing on the heavy side just so you can make the best Daedric dagger possible. It would be infinitely better if you could just pick elven weapons and improve them to levels better than the best Daedric dagger.

What I want to see mostly is Bethesda do more than just 3 or 4 bigger DLC packs. Yes for new story content, its great, but I'd like to see some more little additions like new creatures. An average of 35-40 varieties in the last 2 ES games, and approx 25 varieties this time around. Definitely need some more. Perhaps give us the ability to pick a plot of land to build our own home on like we had in Morrowind. I'd love to have a house in Riverwood because it's one of my favourite places. What about horses, they just stand around not doing anything, why not give them some armour or something, make them look like warhorses instead?

Also, for the love of god, PLEASE give me permanent enchantments, make them expensive and rare and difficult to acquire. It would give me something to use all my gold on and would be much better to have than poxy charges that I have to top up all the time.

How about letting us rebuild Helgen? Everyone wanted to rebuild Kvatch, and they never let us, so why not let us rebuild Helgen now. Make a little sub game out of it where we can choose what to place and where like a mini city builder. Make it so we can only access it after completing the civil war quest line so then we can design it to suit whichever side we chose.

Also, the Thalmor, we NEED some DLC exploring that side of things. the civil war only deals with the civil war, the Thalmor, despite being a huge part of the history and current political struggles of Tamriel, play a very small part during Skyrim. Lets explore it further.
One. Warrior. Nation.
Grummy 66
OXM Moderator

Postby comabob » 06 Dec 2011, 10:26

Grummser - dooes the Dragon Armour count as Light Armour?

Ive focused on Lihght ARmour and have stopped smithing now that im wearing glass - figured Dragon Plate was Heavy Armour...

It would be cool to build your own house/village - i quite like he surrounding areas around Whiterun myself...
"The boy said he's from hell. Maybe that's where we're going..."
comabob 52

Postby CunningSmile » 06 Dec 2011, 11:08

comabob wrote:Grummser - dooes the Dragon Armour count as Light Armour?

Ive focused on Lihght ARmour and have stopped smithing now that im wearing glass - figured Dragon Plate was Heavy Armour...

It would be cool to build your own house/village - i quite like he surrounding areas around Whiterun myself...

Although I'm not playing it yet (and Grummy might know better) I've been told that you have an option for dragon bone and dragon scale armours. The bone is the heavy plate armour and the scales can be used to make a light armour equivalent.
I dream of a world in which a chicken can cross the road without someone questioning his motives
CunningSmile 72
OXM Moderator

Postby Worthies » 06 Dec 2011, 19:35

Firstly, I think the ability to become a Jarl would be much appreciated, considering you are Dragonborn, Skyrim's new found agony aunt/living disaster who singlehandedly changed the course of the civil war, only to be cast a side with some mild sympathizer who happens to live in each city become the new Jarl. It makes me feel unappreciated.

Secondly a return to Cyrodill might be welcomed, considering Cicero's Journal paints a picture of a chaotic province greatly parallel to First World War Russia. It would be interesting to see how much has changed. The same with Morrowind applies.

Rebuilding Helgen would be cool, because in Oblivion, Kvatch just became an eyesore with its eternal fires. Even building your own home and arranging the furniture because the are so few in the vanilla game. I love the new bookshelves and weapon racks by the way.

Improved smithing, enchanting and spell making would be appreciated. You have modding software, it maybe possible to integrate the customization ability with the actual game.

And to maybe actually bring the fight to the Thalmor, or even side with them would be greatly accepted.

Or even a Daedric plane and a return of the Dwemer, like some kept by a Daedra lord suspended in animation reawaken would be nice.

But most of all make them substantial and worthwhile, no more being ripped off for just a small house or some horse armor for a good few quid for something I could make in a day on the modding software.
Worthies 30

Postby comabob » 06 Dec 2011, 20:39

i wan some actual bosses -

dragons are all well and good - but what about a minotaur? a huge kraken? after 112 dungeons cleared im geting ired of the usual enemy with a little extra health im fighting at the end of each one...

i cleared a random dungeon that had a bunch of mages trying o raise Poletma the ancient god - i stopped the ritual and later was given a mission to take down Poletma

Get o the end of a an hour and a half dungoen - eager to see what the big deal is - and what do i find? a skeleton... This one had a name though - Poletma...

wheres the huge enemies? Oblivion didnt have any either but im growing bored of killing skeletons, draugr, mages, bandits etc

even mammoths are going down in a couple of arrows/swings now im at level 50 - and ive still got the majority of sidequests/DB/Theives/Civil War/Main Quest (just found Esbern)...
comabob 52

Postby Baron Chronus » 06 Dec 2011, 21:22

i think you guys have pretty much nailed it with what we all want horse combat especially
Baron Chronus 4

Postby Grummy » 07 Dec 2011, 10:38

The accountant has it right, Dragon Armour can be either heavy or light.

Interesting you say about the bosses Shan, I was having this conversation a few days ago.

A criticism was raised that even though all aspects of melee, magic and stealth are improved, their function is still pretty bland. A boss character would amount to only the same enemy but a lot harder to kill. What it really needs is a much stronger AI system to make intelligent enemies, but then they would also need to improve the combat mechanics to compensate. The magic, for example is a lot more fun, but it still feels like a high fantasy FPS at times when you just fire off spell after spell. What it needs is a reason to think your way through an encounter, put your defences in place, and use different spells to different effect, and most importantly, for stronger enemies and boss enemies to react accordingly, so if they see you are constantly using a fireball spell, they raise a fire shield and counter with a lightening bolt for example. Similarly with the melee, at the moment a boss battle would be an enemy who hits harder and takes more damage, what we need is an enemy who defends and reacts better to make us do the same, but again the melee, though a lot more fun, is flawed. It comes back to needing a block and counter system again, a reason to pick and choose your attacks and blocks etc.

Gotta say though, its situations like the one you're finding yourself in at level 50 that makes Oblivions level scaling make a lot of sense. At level 30 or so in Oblivion you still had tough enemies that could match you. In this you can plow through to level 50 or more with relative ease and not be even close to finishing a single run through, and at that point all the enemies are much weaker than you are. They seriously needed to include some high end boss monsters for you to go out and fight. The problem there though is that fighting them would serve no real purpose. Sure you could get some 'phat lewts', but what use does that actually hae in ES games? None at all. I've been saying they need some permanent enchants that are tough to get, so why not couple the two? Have scaled enemies that are deliberately higher level, no matter your level, guardinig a rare permanent enchant recipe. It's a simple solution I believe. Perhaps not ideal, but it covers a couple of necessary bases.
One. Warrior. Nation.
Grummy 66
OXM Moderator

Postby comabob » 07 Dec 2011, 12:04

The fact tha every enemy is so easy to kill now im level 51 - kinda makes me want to plough through the main quest and civil war with his character - give it a break for a while - and then start a new build for the theives and DB and Daedra quests (ive already done 8 with his build bu i only have 7 artifacts...
comabob 52

Postby Funkcase » 08 Dec 2011, 11:27

A Vampire clan to join! Really this is the one thing I felt was really missing in the game abd hope they put in DLC. If not I guess I will need to buy Skyrim for PC when the toolkit get's released and make a mod.
Funkcase 26

Next