to access exclusive content, comment on articles, win prizes and post on our forums. Not a member yet? Join now!

id Software's John Carmack targeting 1080p on Xbox 720

Your comments on our articles.

Because current displays "screw with 720p"

id Software's John Carmack has revealed that he's aiming for 1080p resolution games as standard on next generation consoles.... read more

id Software's John Carmack targeting 1080p on Xbox 720

Postby buckleboff94 » 22 Dec 2011, 12:31

id take better gameplay and storyline over a few more pixels. ;D
buckleboff94 27

Re: id Software's John Carmack targeting 1080p on Xbox 720

Postby CunningSmile » 22 Dec 2011, 12:38

Carmack worships at the altar of technology so anything from id will always place story a very distant second to the soft and hardware considerations. It is starting to make them seem less and less relevant in the modern industry.
What do you get when you cross a joke with a rhetorical question?
CunningSmile 68
OXM Moderator

Postby Mendes » 22 Dec 2011, 12:58

CunningSmile wrote:Carmack worships at the altar of technology so anything from id will always place story a very distant second to the soft and hardware considerations. It is starting to make them seem less and less relevant in the modern industry.

Excellent comment Cunning, although I will say I think the Carmacks of the world do have an important place in the modern industry, from a marketing point of view at least, to paraphrase an old marketing term, "Eye-candy sells". Unfortunately the industry is driven by marketing and shareholders. I will also say his like do have a important roll to play in technology.... they certainly hold sway over GFX chip companies.

I'll admit to being a complete graphics ho, but like these two posters I'd also like to see gameplay and for me more importantly, story at the forefront.... but above that in the 'next-gen' I'd love to see a concentration on improving AI.... if we have to keep getting endless FPS franschise releases then I want to see enemy with hundreds of different behaviours, not just a handful. Unfortunately at the moment, I think being an AI programmer is not seen as being the 'cool' job or giving the correct level of importance in the industry.
Mendes 34

Postby mistergrimm » 22 Dec 2011, 15:28

I don't know if I'd completely agree on the importance of story. On a personal level, as a consumer, I think I'd be interested in seeing more games with intelligently written, compelling storylines. However, I look back at some of the games I have enjoyed recently and not many had a story which particularly intrigued me. Skyrim, Dragon Age, Saint's Row, Mass Effect, Conviction... In fairness some of these games either have immersive worlds or well-written characters which draw the player in, but I didn't play any of them because I was actually interested in whatever half-baked central narrative the developers had puked out. I just wanted to stab/shoot/unlock cool stuff.

The only games which spring to mind where I actually enjoyed the narrative for the narrative's sake are Deus Ex: HR and Alan Wake, and both of these fell flat on their face for me towards the final act.

Now let's look at Rage. No pretense at a story, not really an immersive world, no chracters you really connect with... But it looks bloody gorgeous. And it doesn't pretend it needs anything more than good looks and old-fashioned mindless violence to reel you in. And if we look at the sales of games such as CoD and the profits that Hollywood action films make... Maybe that's enough. You can't argue with sales. Maybe we just need to stop pretending we want gaming Shakespeare and just accept that we like seeing people's heads explode. And if heads explode in 1080p?

You won't find me complaining.
mistergrimm 33

Postby techn0t0ne » 23 Dec 2011, 16:12

I really dont think having such a strong focus on graphical technology is a bad idea at all. Perhaps if it was coming from someone else. But this is iD software we are talking about here.

I will always have time for carmack and co...they were responsible for one of the greatest multiplayer experiences of my life in Quake 3 arena and their tech is still used in some form or other in all the Call of Duty games.

I think it would be fair to say that if there was one developer who could consistently get away with graphical muscle over gameplay it would be iD software.
techn0t0ne 17