to join the Xbox community. Not a member yet? Join now!

Rate the last game you played.

Playing them, beating them, moaning about them, celebrating them

Rate the last game you played.

Postby Grummy » 24 Dec 2011, 17:00

Always a favourite of mine this, I love seeing what others have been playing and what they think of them.

So I'll start and hammer out a few

Obvious one this.....Skyrim 10/10, simply as good as it gets.

Assassin's Creed: Revelations. 8/10. The gameplay is back to its best, and traversing constantinople and getting into random little fights is as flawless a piece of entertainment as can be had anywhere. Game is slightly marred, though, by the drawn out Meditteranean Defence mode and the utterly pointless andshambolic Den Defence game.

Call of Juarez. 0/10. Seriously, everything about it is awful. Incredibly boring play, ugly as sin to look at, ridiculous voice acting, horrible sfx, terrible level design, poor checkpoint placement, unreliable (and in some cases non-existant) explanations and game assistance in the early levels. An utter abortion of a game. I'd rather be playing Dark Souls, or a Cabela's game, or Hannah Montana or Leisure Suit Larry.

Tropico 4. 10/10. Perfect game. Like the genre or don't like the genre, its down to you, but if you like the city builder style games, then there are few that can even match it.
One. Warrior. Nation.
Grummy 67
OXM Moderator

Re: Rate the last game you played.

Postby golliwoza » 24 Dec 2011, 17:32

Ill give out 3 of my most recent played games.

Batman: Arkham City (360) 10/10
I am still loving this and I am still finding loads to do even now. Although most people dont like the challenge maps I still am enjoying them and I have played through them umpteen times theres only the occasional map which I dislike or cant get along with.

Killing Floor (PC) 8/10
I love the updates for this game and especially christmas updates. Great zombie survival game with *us* brits as the heroes yeah, as well as all the interesting fan made maps. Occasionaly spoilt by the matchmaking system which can be awkward and kick people out along with the occasional buggy games where no enemies appear on the map at all.

Return to Castle Wolfenstien (PC) 9/10
Im going back to a classic here. I still find it one of my favourite first person shooters, all the levels are varied enjoyable as well as the nazi, zombie and super soldier sandwhich. The only sad thing with this version I am playing is that it has the Egypt missions cut out which I remember in the console versions.
Where we are going we wont need eyes to see.
golliwoza 56

Postby Bezza89 » 28 Dec 2011, 13:41

Skyrim - no explanation needed for its 10/10.

Splinter Cell Conviction - 8/9/10 out of ten... I can't decide... the single player is great - but it is short and not the Sam Fisher I know and love, I took pride in going through every mission without contact with enemies or shooting anything - basically being a ghost. This game you are encouraged to kill people with your hands to get magic Jesus-aim mode. It looks great, it is great, but it's not splinter cell. 8/10. Jade Raymond(?) of Ubi Toronto bring back the knife and spandex please in SC6!
The co-op though is absolutely brilliant because of this mechanic, it's really cool synching executions and going through the really big levels, 10/10.

GTAIV - 10/10 - I know people don't like it - suck it! It takes ages to get going but the latter third mission wise is brilliant, the dlc the BEST out there and the best game engine ever created - euphoria - along with the most detailed world outside of the elder scrolls. Getting drunk and trying to shoot someone/drive a car/use phone is priceless every time. Pushing fat people over... even better.
...and if you tell that to the kids of today, they wont believe you!
Bezza89 68

Postby KernowDevil23 » 28 Dec 2011, 14:01

Batman: Arkham City 7/10 (not completed)

A little controversial maybe but I couldn't get in to this as much as I would have wanted to. Even though it was "free roaming" I still felt restricted in some ways. Graphically it was superb but I'm glad I rented it rather than buying it. I just expected so much more.

Assassins Creed: Brotherhood 8/10 (so far)

Loving this so far. Nothing too different from the amazing AC:2 but that's the beauty. It's a lovely continuation of the story and I can't wait to get more play time on it to see where Ezio's story is going. I'm only on the third sequence out of nine but already, for me, this is the best in the series so far. When I'm done with this, I shall buy AC:Revelations with the hope that it finishes the story off in a worthy fashion.

Super Mario 3D Land 10/10 (again, so far)

As the title doesn't state "Rate the last 360 game you played" I thought I'd add this little gem to the mix!
Let me make this crystal clear. If you are someone who appreciates genius level design alongside amazing graphics, top notch sound and amazing game play, you owe it to yourself to at least try and play this game, if not to buy a 3DS for it!

I wasn't sold on the idea of a 3DS until I tried this on a demo pod in Asda, which then made me walk straight to the counter to buy one! It's that good. Certainly the best Mario game on a handheld system since the original Super Mario Land on the Gameboy from the early nineties and that's high praise indeed.
I don't care if a game is "the same every year." So is pizza. Stop buying the bad pizza. Buy the good pizza.
KernowDevil23 56

Postby Bezza89 » 29 Dec 2011, 18:31

I'd give 8/10 to Batman, great first time round but the challenge maps, riddler stuff and city all got frustrating and a little repetitive, I found this with Arkham Asylum too though.
...and if you tell that to the kids of today, they wont believe you!
Bezza89 68

Postby CunningSmile » 03 Jan 2012, 13:09

Hi guys, I'm back and hope everyone had a good Holiday season.

My last three games:

Skyrim: 10/10. As Bezza says, no explanation needed.

AC:Revelations: 8/10 Looks fantastic, plays the beautifully but seems to have really lost sight of what the series is about. The Den defense is a mess, the economy seems to have taken over and where were the assassinations?

Plants vs Zombies 10/10: My girlfriend bought it when it was on Xmas discount and I lost days playing it. I hate Tower Defense games, but this I couldn't put down. Pop Cap have discovered the computer code for Crack, between this and Peggle they are stealling my life!!!!
Do you ever look at some of the other people on the internet and wonder if you missed the sign that says "You must be this dumb to ride"?
CunningSmile 73
OXM Moderator

Postby SidTheSloth » 03 Jan 2012, 15:25

Having bought a few cheap classics i hope to add a few different titles to this over the next few weeks but (somewhat predictably):

Skyrim - 10/10

Batman: AC - 8/10
Played it religiously and even completed the over the top riddler stuff but at no point did i ever 'love' the game. I'd happily recommend it to anyone, but there are moments of frustration for me that maybe don't spoil it but certainly frustrate - hence the two dropped points: knife wielding enemies, respawning/endless enemies, the design of the 'city' itself, putting the big complex in the centre of the map and having to fly around it everytime instead of being able to go directly from a to be bugged the life out of me!

Portal 2: 10/10
I played the SP a long time ago and loved it, easily one of the best of the year despite some of the middle sections feeling a little padded and unnecessary. Having played the (local) co-op and seeing the same level of attention and detail paid to it, i can only increase the score to a maximum. I haven't enjoyed a co-op game on 360 anywhere near as much as this (well, maybe crackdown), it was like the good old n64 days!

Saints Row 3: 8/10
SR is a bit of a marmite game it seems in that you either like/accept its humour or you don't. I actually think the dildo bat & fart in a jar weapons go a bit too far and are unnecessary but it doesn't exactly break the game and i can ignore it. Engine wise it's a step up from SR2, but it's still buggy: allies are retarded and will happily chase an enemy you've just thrown a grenade at, will look at you like clueless idiots when you jump into a car to make a getaway from the 20 guys shooting at you, and good luck on the couple of missions where they are in control of the car - even the 'car delivery' homies seem unable to drive in a straight line!! Fallen lamposts are still impossible to step over it seems which is unforgivable, occasionally your car will spin out for no real reason at all too which can be infuriating.

To focus on the negatives though would be a grave disservice to one of the more enjoyable games i've played recently. The way the game empowers you with ridiculous weapons and batman style gadgetry is immense. Pinned down? No worries, just get your mobile and call a friend to deliver a tank or even a hover jet with built in flamethrower! Missions are tiresome in the beginning and basically revolve around go here, shoot, go here, shoot some more, but later on they open up in variety. The ending missions too are some of the best i've played and worth playing through for them alone, not to mention the celebrity cameo which had me laughing for ages.

To sum up, i still think SR2 is a better game overall, and the fact you can get it for a fiver should suggest you look there first, but if you do go for 3, provided you can stomach the childish humour it'll be money well spent.

@kernow - stupid question but is mario 3d worth me looking at? I've never got on with mario games (mario kart excluded), hated them all apart from 64 which i enjoyed to a point. I've not touched either of the 'galaxies' despite their ridiculous high critical praise and i've been ignoring 3d for the same reason - but lots of positive feedback about it is making me think twice. Also, you'd do well to get mario kart 7, the best since the snes version if you like that sort of game. Would recommend Zelda:OoT 3d (the best version of, imo, the best game ever made) too but i'm pretty sure that isn't your cup o tea?
(2 + 4 = Fish) / Sloth = Better
SidTheSloth 54

Postby KernowDevil23 » 05 Jan 2012, 17:52

SidTheSloth wrote:@kernow - stupid question but is mario 3d worth me looking at? I've never got on with mario games (mario kart excluded), hated them all apart from 64 which i enjoyed to a point. I've not touched either of the 'galaxies' despite their ridiculous high critical praise and i've been ignoring 3d for the same reason - but lots of positive feedback about it is making me think twice. Also, you'd do well to get mario kart 7, the best since the snes version if you like that sort of game. Would recommend Zelda:OoT 3d (the best version of, imo, the best game ever made) too but i'm pretty sure that isn't your cup o tea?

Apologies for the delayed reply, I've been at a business conference since Tuesday!

Simple answer is YES. Get it mate, you'll love it if you like platform games in any way shape or form. It's epic.

As for MK7, I'll probably be picking it up for our boy at the weekend and Zelda? I still play the N64 version from time to time! ;)
I don't care if a game is "the same every year." So is pizza. Stop buying the bad pizza. Buy the good pizza.
KernowDevil23 56

Postby SidTheSloth » 05 Jan 2012, 18:10

Aargh! You were meant to say no! This news coupled with the price drop on it i spied on amazon earlier no doubt ensure my january 'buying games detox' will be ruined!!

If you expect the "for our boy" argument to wash you'll have to find a bigger fool than me! Only problem i've noticed since posting about MK is that because the 3ds is quite heavy (as handhelds go), my thumb wants to drop off from holding the accelerator a few races in! If you like zelda then you'd appreciate the 3ds version. I was sceptical and am still angry with myself for paying for it again but they did an amazing job with it! Anyway, enough nintendo love on an xbox forum!

Im about 10 hours into the forum-hyped alpha-protocol and so far really enjoying it! Enemies are dumb as, controls are wonky and the missions are a little bit straightforward but the conversations, plot, and seeming effect decisions are having is fantastic so far. It's funny how alike in concept this and deus ex are, and whilst technically deus ex pisses all over it, i'd rather play alpha any day of the week. Will update more when im further in, but think most of you guys on here have played it already so not telling you anything you don't already know! :D
SidTheSloth 54

Postby Carpet Monkey » 05 Jan 2012, 18:46

Rayman Origins - 10/10

I'm not a big plat former fan in the slightest, but this game is just genius. Utterly charming design, perfect sounds and just oozing with character. Best co-op fun I have had in a game in many years. The game is very long with TONS of replay value. Seriously, gamers everywhere need to play this - one of the few truly unique games this year.
Gamertag : Carpet Monkey
Carpet Monkey 42

Postby comabob » 05 Jan 2012, 19:06

Goldeneye 5/10 - couldnt even bring myself to finish it frankly.
Top Spin 4 8/10 - i LOVE Top Spin but this one has taken a little bit of getting used to with its new mechanics.
Rayman 8/10 - the novely of the art design wore off before long although the tigh platforming kept me playing. Could have been longer though...
Crysis 1 7/10 - Not as good as its sequel but worth a playhrough (glad i got given the points i used for it)
Skyrim 10/10 - still has parts of it that could use a little more tweaking - but on he whole - awesome.
Batman AC 8/10 - too short but better than Asylum
Sonic 4 Episode 1 7/10 - good while itt lasted but quite short (again - glad i was given the points i used for it)
"The boy said he's from hell. Maybe that's where we're going..."
comabob 52

Postby Guilty Sparks » 06 Jan 2012, 11:41

The Old Republic PC- 10/10 its kept me off the xbox and the forum for a couple of weeks
Skyrim PC/Xbox - 10/10
Portal 2 PC - 10/10
Batman Xbox- 8/10
Assassins Creed Xbox - 7/10
Halo anniversary Xbox- 8/10
Oracle? Great Journey? Why do you meddlers insist on using such inaccurate verbiage?
Guilty Sparks 37

Postby SidTheSloth » 15 Jan 2012, 15:23

Not a game as such, but the DLC for Dragon Age 2...

I know the game has been criticised to death, i too found it incredibly disappointing compared to origins but a second playthrough has improved my overall perception of it and reminded me of what it does well. The core game has improved on the origins engine truckloads and there is a lot of story in there, and when you play through the DLC too you feel it slowly starting to come together and hint to where the series is heading next.

Firstly, and for me this is inexcusible, but be careful playing through the main game as while a lot of the bugs have been fixed, there are a few important ones still outstanding, particularly in Act 3 which can have undesired effects on post-game saves.

Legacy: Got this in the recent EA sale for 400 points. I hate paying for anything DLC related from EA, but i enjoyed it even though it's a pretty linear progression. The departure from kirkwall is sufficient variety that i don't feel i paid for the same old crap, and there are enough new goodies to keep me happy. A few puzzles are included and there's a good degree of enemy variety, darkspawn and ogres make a welcome return instead of the endless bandits/shades from the main game. The final boss is something very different but be warned, with the 360 controls and the AI pathfinding for your allies, it can be more of a chore than it should be. The story and feel behind the DLC is not essential but I felt it tied in nicely with the Dragon Age lore and provides some more background to Hawkes family and the grey wardens. At 800 i might have felt ripped off but 400 i feel was well spent.

Mark Of The Assassin: The reviews of this were already good so i went for it despite having to pay the full 800. Production value is very high and there is dialogue recorded throughout the whole DLC for every character and combinations of them you take along with you so it's clear a lot of work has gone into this. The story behind the quest itself is for me a little wish-washy, but throughout you are given the feeling that it, or at least the characters involved will have a much greater significance in the future. The best thing with this pack is the variety of the mini quests, from simple fetch quests, to battling new enemies, stealthing past guards (works far better than you'd imagine), puzzle rooms etc.

Both DLCs can be played at any point throughout the game, i waited until post game for them both but the downside to that is i got some ridiculous goodies from MotA which i now have no use for, something tells me though there'll be more DLC to come before the next installment.

Overall i preferred the setting/story of Legacy, but MotA is the better from a mission point of view. 1200 for them both (if you get legacy on sale) seems like an ok price if you're heavily invested into the dragon age story like i am. 800 for legacy would be too much so hold fire, but at 400 i'd give it a 7.5/10, with MotA getting an 8
SidTheSloth 54

Postby Grummy » 15 Jan 2012, 17:56

Lord of the rings: War in the North: 7

I wanted to give it a 9, but with a few bad design judgements and some terrible difficulty spikes, the whole experience is dragged down. It's dissapointing really, because so much of the game is good and a lot of fun, but those problems really add up. 7/10 is far and yet also doesn't do the game justice in my eyes.

A couple of examples of its problems.
No difficulty setting. You start on the easiest setting, finish the game, then the difficulty is automatically jumped up to the net difficulty, with no way to change it. Finish it a 2nd time and it jumps to the hardest difficulty and still no way to change it.
Misleading map. The world map contains all the major locations in the LotR world, easily 40 or so different sites, but you only get to visit about a dozen, never the others.
Overreliance on AI. Throughout the whole game, you pick one of 3 characters and the other 2 accompany you as computer controlled AI,, artificial idiocy. You need to rely on the AI at times, as there are sections with waves of enemies, and you need those players to do a good, sensible job, but they never do, making these sections a chore and a half.
Difficulty spike. The Auto difficulty jump isn't too problematic, as you can carry your previous character over, I like that sort of difficulty increase as it lets you keep playing, keep improving your character whilst maintaining a constant challenge, which this does, for the most part. There are times though, when the difficulty spikes outrageously. Example, one mission is to defende the gates of a dwarven stronghold. They are attacked by sappers coming from left and right and the doors only take 3 or 4 hits to blow. Now then, it would be fine with 2 or 3 good players using even the most rudimentary tactics, but the AI partners are so damn stupid, that they make the job near impossible.

I'll never understand dfficulty spikes like that. Completely ruins the experience for me.
One. Warrior. Nation.
Grummy 67
OXM Moderator

Postby SidTheSloth » 17 Jan 2012, 18:22

Grummy wrote:I'll never understand dfficulty spikes like that. Completely ruins the experience for me.

You're not the first person i've heard say that about this in particular, it's what put me off it totally which is a shame. Seem to recall the previous 360 LOTR game was shite too - conquest?
SidTheSloth 54

Next