to access exclusive content, comment on articles, win prizes and post on our forums. Not a member yet? Join now!

OXM's 2012 Review Everything Catch-up

The magazine, the website, the disc, the OXM Report and more

OXM's 2012 Review Everything Catch-up

Postby OXM JamSponge » 12 Jan 2012, 15:39

Hello guys!

As pointed out by chaosslayer, there have been a few games we never got a chance to review over the past couple of years. The reasons are dull: Publishers don't usually send us copies of games they think won't review well, and the time and money required to source everything that comes out is usually tough to justify when we're all so busy working on the magazine.

Anyway, the gauntlet has been thrown and the challenge accepted: We're going to source all of the games we've missed, and review them all in a big mega-feature. The trouble is - finding some of this stuff isn't too easy. If you have a copy of any of the below that you'd be willing to lend us, then do get in touch in the comments below. Alternatively, if you spot any of them in the wild at a bargain price then do let us know.

Finally, feel free to let us know if you think we've missed any games off of the list. Wish us luck - and let the challenge begin!

Asterix At The Olympic Games
Bakugan Battle Brawlers - GOT IT
Bakugan: Defenders of the Core
Brave: A Warrior's Tale
Cabela's Alaskan Adventures
Chaotic: Shadow Warriors
Cloudy with a Chance of Meatballs
Generator Rex: Agent of Providence
How to Train Your Dragon
Legend of the Guardians: The Owls of Ga'Hoole
Looney Tunes: Acme Arsenal
Madagascar Kartz
National Geographic Quiz: Wild Life
NCIS
Championship Paintball 2009
Rapala Tournament Fishing
Ratatouille
Secret Service
Shrek: Forever After - GOT IT
Space Chimps
SpongeBob's Truth or Square
Warriors: Legends of Troy
World of Outlaws: Sprint Cars
Rapala Pro Bass Fishing (with the fishing rod controller)
Rapala For Kinect
Cabela's Dangerous Hunts 2011 (with Top Shot Elite)
Brunswick's Pro Bowling
Let's Dance With Mel B
Power Up Heroes
MotionSports Adrenaline
Let's Cheer
Nickelodeon Dance
Ben 10: Galactic Racing
Jillian Michaels Fitness
Dreamworks Superstar Kartz
Penguins of Madagascar Dr Blowhole Returns
Happy Feet Two
Cabela's Adventure Camp
Twister Mania
Spongebob Skate and Surf Road Trip
Deepak Chopra's Leela
My Self Defence Coach
Big League Sports
uDraw Marvel Comic Combat
uDraw Pictionary - GOT IT
Just Dance Kids
OXM JamSponge 36

Re: OXM's 2012 Review Everything Catch-up

Postby Murphy1978 » 12 Jan 2012, 17:18

I'll see if I can find any online prices for you. Wouldn't it be easier to get an office Lovefilm account? :P

I wouldn't fancy reviewing those titles...they've been missed for a reason methinks...
Murphy1978 30

Postby chaosslayer » 12 Jan 2012, 19:27

World Of Outlaws is only available through Games On Demand in this country.

Have you guys reviewed Battle Vs. Chess? or is that another for the list?
If I find any cheap copies of these games I will buy them and send them on to you.
chaosslayer 26

Postby KernowDevil23 » 12 Jan 2012, 20:16

5/10 or less for every game on that list.

There you go. Done! Save your pennies..... :D
I don't care if a game is "the same every year." So is pizza. Stop buying the bad pizza. Buy the good pizza.
KernowDevil23 56

Postby comabob » 12 Jan 2012, 23:46

Might i suggest a few of you at the oxm office open lovefilm account - free trials for two months?

If i owned any of the games i would be happy to send them along. Regardless - kudos +3 for involving the forum users.
"The boy said he's from hell. Maybe that's where we're going..."
comabob 52

Postby schwepterbrowser » 12 Jan 2012, 23:58

I just recently traded PowerUp Heroes in, otherwise you could've used that. It was surprisingly fun actually, 7/10 material.
schwepterbrowser 54

Postby HLLivingLoco » 13 Jan 2012, 02:56

Secret Service is pretty bad, I'd recommend skipping that one. There's a PC version as well if the console version is too much. Defeats the purpose of a 360 review, but it would be a check mark off the list.
I write for gamershavennews.com. Follow me on Twitter if you like my opinions at @HLLivingLoco. If you need anything, feel free to message me!
HLLivingLoco 11

Postby Maverick_McCool » 13 Jan 2012, 16:50

Great , I can see it now......

"Sorry we weren't able to publish our massive Halo 4 preview as we were busy reviewing Cloudy with a chance of f**king Meatballs and a bunch of other games no one gives a toss about........."

Cheers Chaosslayer! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
I used to make arrow in the knee jokes , then Arm Fall Off Boy kicked me in the balls....... Come on Boon , quit teasing us with DLC characters we don't want , give us Arm Fall Off Boy dammit! Or at least give us Detective Chimp........
Maverick_McCool 45

Postby CunningSmile » 13 Jan 2012, 17:11

How to train your Dragon is supposed to be pretty good, at least Xbox World liked it and Grummy seemed to get some use out of it over Christmas.

Speaking of your sister magazine can't you guys steal/share a couple of their reviews as they have managed to review a few on the list. Or is it a case you'd have to pay them as free lancers to reprint a review?
What do you get when you cross a joke with a rhetorical question?
CunningSmile 68
OXM Moderator

Postby SidTheSloth » 16 Jan 2012, 08:34

An admission that surely renders any of my future opinions on games obsolete, but i'm something of a dynasty warriors fan despite my own utter bemusement at how or why!! Needless to say, when KOEI gave their Canadian counterparts permission to do a western version I was all over it, the fact they chose Homer's Illiad as the setting only heightening my excitement having been fascinated with the story since i were a lad!

Somewhat unsurprisingly the gaming media hated it, Xbox World indeed giving it 45/100 if metacritic is to be believed along with the classic quote "In a genre overlaoded with turds this one floats to somewhere near the top of the pile.". Obviously any warriors game is destined to never receive higher than a 6 due to the nature of the repetitive combat, but anyone who's ever enjoyed any of the warriors games should consider checking it out. There's nothing overwhelmingly amazing and there are some frankly irritating boss fights as well as some grinding but i enjoyed it and if all else fails it's a reasonably easy 1000g :wink:

Funny how i can enjoy a festering turd of a game like this and then hate all over Deus Ex & LA Noire!?

@OXM guys, if you can control your excitement at the prospect of playing as Achilles i can lend you this in a week or so when im back in the UK to post - which address would i need to be using - Balcombe street?

And Maverick, i wish to god they'd actually called it that, nearly drowned my laptop with tea reading that :D
Sid is waving. Waving goodbye. It means he's leaving now. He's going. His final message to you, dear reader, is to always wash your hands after making a big pooh, and to remember that Hyrule Warriors is a thing…!
SidTheSloth 53

Postby CunningSmile » 16 Jan 2012, 10:50

@Sid

I've always respected you for your eloquent writing style, well thought out arguements and (apparent) good taste in games. With the Dynasty Warriors admission you are now dead to me.

No, don't bother arguing you bought this on yourself. We're very disappointed in you :shock:
What do you get when you cross a joke with a rhetorical question?
CunningSmile 68
OXM Moderator

Postby Decent_Jam » 16 Jan 2012, 14:24

I can confirm the top-secret location of OXM towers is indeed Balcombe Street, Marylebone...

And Sid, hang your head in shame
Decent_Jam

Game: GT - "Decent Jam"
Tweet: @James_Parry
Email: jamesmparry87@gmail.com
Site - This Is Entertainment: http://jamesmparry.wordpress.com/

Xbox One : Titanfall, Battlefield 4, Killer Instinct, Forza 5, head to OXM Nights for a meet up.
Decent_Jam 58

Postby Grummy » 16 Jan 2012, 14:30

Y'know the 'Let's Dance with Mel B' review needs to be a video review from the whole staff right?

INFACT, genius idea, send Jamster out to buy a copy then make HIM do a video review, with clips of his playing it included. GREAT use of an intern that.

:D
One. Warrior. Nation.
Grummy 64
OXM Moderator

Postby SidTheSloth » 16 Jan 2012, 16:50

I know, it's been my dirty little secret for a long time... A result of using/playing the only magazine cover disc i've ever bothered with back in my pre-xbox days, stupid DW3 getting me addicted.

I have shamed myself. Which i suppose is marginally better than soiling myself, silver lining and all that! :|
Sid is waving. Waving goodbye. It means he's leaving now. He's going. His final message to you, dear reader, is to always wash your hands after making a big pooh, and to remember that Hyrule Warriors is a thing…!
SidTheSloth 53

Postby Grummy » 11 Mar 2012, 07:13

The Fist Templar isn't on the list, and if this is still in the works, I should have a copy soonish that I'll happily send your way, or you can just order it for yourselves from Amazon for about £9. You could even sell it on to CEX for £6 then.....just a thought :mrgreen:
One. Warrior. Nation.
Grummy 64
OXM Moderator

Next