to access exclusive content, comment on articles, win prizes and post on our forums. Not a member yet? Join now!

All things Sony Thread!

Anything that doesn’t fit anywhere else

All things Sony Thread!

Postby Bezza89 » 19 Jan 2012, 18:53

:shock:

Saw an offer for a phone, two years of £15.50 a month with a free PS3 160GB slim... worth it? Convince me to not buy or spend.

I spend average £10 pm on phones atm, and love MGS.

GO.
It's all in the game...
Bezza89 65

Re: PS3

Postby Clanger67 » 19 Jan 2012, 19:59

Why not if you can afford the extra £5.50 a month,free slim 160 isn't bad.I have got the 320 mostly for gran turismo and my cousins got one.Not as good as the 360 only a few new games use 1080p.What do get for free nowdays.
Cry havoc ! and let slip the dogs of war.
Clanger67 60

Postby KernowDevil23 » 19 Jan 2012, 20:19

No, you should certainly not take up a seemingly good offer for a PS3 because........

Apparently the PS3 is "not as good as the 360 and only a few games use 1080p".

The PS3 clearly has inferior Blu-Ray playback than the Xbox, an Internet browser which is not a patch on the 360's and the exclusive games are so thin in the ground in comparison. The free music video streaming service called Vidzone is also not as good as the free music video streaming service on the Xbox........oh wait a minute!!!

:wink:
I don't care if a game is "the same every year." So is pizza. Stop buying the bad pizza. Buy the good pizza.
KernowDevil23 56

Postby msbhvn » 19 Jan 2012, 20:36

There's not much difference between the PS3 and 360 any way you look at it. If you're getting it for nothing and the phone you're buying to get it free is worth it, go for it I say. If you're handy with a screwdriver, you can upgrade the HDD quite easily to 500GB for the price of a new game, just do a bit of research online first about whether you void your warranty and which type of HDD to buy.
I don't get the appeal at all. Like what do they do... say something stupid then read the replies while they touch themselves? - Vampyre_Ghost on trolls.
msbhvn 66

Postby Bezza89 » 19 Jan 2012, 20:43

It would only be for MGS, and the very best PS3 games, I already have superior 24fps and full 1080i 3d capable bluray so aint bothered about that side.
It's all in the game...
Bezza89 65

Postby Clanger67 » 19 Jan 2012, 20:56

KernowDevil23 wrote:No, you should certainly not take up a seemingly good offer for a PS3 because........

Apparently the PS3 is "not as good as the 360 and only a few games use 1080p".

The PS3 clearly has inferior Blu-Ray playback than the Xbox, an Internet browser which is not a patch on the 360's and the exclusive games are so thin in the ground in comparison. The free music video streaming service called Vidzone is also not as good as the free music video streaming service on the Xbox........oh wait a minute!!!

:wink:

To right on the internet front.If you are thimking about downloading something,set it before you go to bed and it might be done when you get up.Don't forget to turn auto shutdown off though,thats even for an update.Ok maybe that's a tad harsh,lol.
Last edited by Clanger67 on 20 Jan 2012, 14:02, edited 1 time in total.
Clanger67 60

Postby KernowDevil23 » 19 Jan 2012, 21:01

Bezza89 wrote:It would only be for MGS, and the very best PS3 games, I already have superior 24fps and full 1080i 3d capable bluray so aint bothered about that side.

If you're not bothered about the playback of Blu-Ray's, that's fair enough but as a storage medium, nobody can deny it's far superior to any other disc based format. No multiple discs here thank you!! :D
I don't care if a game is "the same every year." So is pizza. Stop buying the bad pizza. Buy the good pizza.
KernowDevil23 56

Postby Bezza89 » 20 Jan 2012, 11:42

Agreed, but don't they need installing to read properly? Anyone knocking bluray for picture quality is wrong, but at 32 inch there isn't much difference, they also need to take sound into account as well, sublime.

I will probably cave in, wondering whether to do it soon (get the MGS collection on it too, having 1-4 all on one console) or wait until my current phone breaks.
It's all in the game...
Bezza89 65

Postby SidTheSloth » 20 Jan 2012, 12:09

Hmm... Pretty risk free decision if you need a new phone and the contract gives you everything you want/need, the PS3 is surely just a bonus?

If you're not really arsed about gamerscore then go for it. Controllers aside, everything on and about the PS3 just 'feels' better quality, and you'll notice that dodgy ports aside, the visuals are crisper and cut scenes usually a lot less compressed so also better quality. Add in the fact that PSN is free & games can all be fit onto one disc and the contest should be stopped by the referee, however that's not the whole story. The horrific new dash aside, there's just something fundamentally 'better' about the 360 experience. Online play is loads better, as is party chat etc - but this is understandable at £40 a head, but also the way MS have everything tied together within your profile is way better than the PS3 offering. Also bear in mind you do have to install some ps3 games which seems to take even longer than the xbox install, and the system updates... Well, get a good book if you've got to wait for one of those bad boys - although im reliably informed they are a lot less frequent than they used to be - i only really use my ps3 for blu-ray (which you dont need) so i rarely check if an update is needed!

If i were new to gaming however, i'd probably go PS3 now, as i think everything weighed up it's the better package, they also have better and more exclusives now which is in stark contrast to the early days - check out not just MGS4 (which is awesome), but uncharted, little big planet, heavenly sword, ratchet & clank, heavy rain, god of war, killzone(?) and thats just from the top of my head!

The 160gb hard drive should be enough too, but remember with the PS3 that if it isn't, you can upgrade it yourself using any standard SATA notebook drive (you can get a monster 2tb 7200 drive for just over £100 which is way more than you'll ever need so scale that down to say 320gb and i dunno, maybe £40-50?).

Suppose my most prudent point was my very first one about the phone & contract itself!
Sid is waving. Waving goodbye. It means he's leaving now. He's going. His final message to you, dear reader, is to always wash your hands after making a big pooh, and to remember that Hyrule Warriors is a thing…!
SidTheSloth 53

Postby Clanger67 » 20 Jan 2012, 14:20

Bezza89 wrote:Agreed, but don't they need installing to read properly? Anyone knocking bluray for picture quality is wrong, but at 32 inch there isn't much difference, they also need to take sound into account as well, sublime.

I will probably cave in, wondering whether to do it soon (get the MGS collection on it too, having 1-4 all on one console) or wait until my current phone breaks.

Sorry meant no offence should have said in my opinion the 360 is better.I wasn't trying to sound like i was knocking blu ray although on my telly blu ray plays at 1920x1080@24hz.I also have an upscaling dvd that plays at 1920x1080@60hz.Given the amount of dvd's i have got it would take me another lifetime to get them all blu ray.Although for the right money i will get blu ray in the future.Sorry if i have caused unintentional offence sometimes,CURSE OF THE NEWBIE,lol.
Clanger67 60

Postby Grummy » 20 Jan 2012, 14:46

Bezza89 wrote::shock:

Saw an offer for a phone, two years of £15.50 a month with a free PS3 160GB slim... worth it? Convince me to not buy or spend.

I spend average £10 pm on phones atm, and love MGS.

GO.

Schrodinger's Cat is a misnomer. When he dirst introduced it, he was actually saying 'pussy', not 'cat', so in fact, it should be known as Schrodinger's Twat.

Free stuff is good. End of story. Even if the free thing is and inferior console (its inferior because I say so, blu ray be damned [I love blu-ray] and for no tangbile reason, this generation Sony and the PS3 has pissed me off). Whether your happy for the PS3 or not, its free, and it IS worth trying out, and if you didn't want it/like it, you can sell it for good profit. And if you want it/like it, then this deal is a no brainer.
One. Warrior. Nation.
Grummy 64
OXM Moderator

Postby Bezza89 » 20 Jan 2012, 18:10

Clanger67 wrote:
Bezza89 wrote:Agreed, but don't they need installing to read properly? Anyone knocking bluray for picture quality is wrong, but at 32 inch there isn't much difference, they also need to take sound into account as well, sublime.

Sorry meant no offence should have said in my opinion the 360 is better.I wasn't trying to sound like i was knocking blu ray although on my telly blu ray plays at 1920x1080@24hz.I also have an upscaling dvd that plays at 1920x1080@60hz.Given the amount of dvd's i have got it would take me another lifetime to get them all blu ray.Although for the right money i will get blu ray in the future.Sorry if i have caused unintentional offence sometimes,CURSE OF THE NEWBIE,lol.

lol it wasn't aimed at anyone I was just saying bluray is damn fine and if someone was going to post about bluray not being good xbox rulez type of thing I wasn't going to listen. I really appreciate the advice everyones given. I'll bob instore tomorrow.
It's all in the game...
Bezza89 65

Postby Bezza89 » 21 Jan 2012, 16:54

OK got it today, promptly downloaded update, 2 mins or something, then went in and bought MGS1, and ordered 4. Anyone recommend anything to me?

I'm eyeing up Splinter Cell Trilogy, Uncharted Trilogy. I don't like the look of anything else Sid recommended unfortunately, so any help is appreciated.
It's all in the game...
Bezza89 65

Postby Clanger67 » 21 Jan 2012, 17:03

Bezza89 wrote:OK got it today, promptly downloaded update, 2 mins or something, then went in and bought MGS1, and ordered 4. Anyone recommend anything to me?

I'm eyeing up Splinter Cell Trilogy, Uncharted Trilogy. I don't like the look of anything else Sid recommended unfortunately, so any help is appreciated.

Uncharted trilogy is alright can't say with splinter cell got them for 360.Uncharted is pretty good if you like tomb raider etc.,don't let that put you off though not exactly same.Uncharted 3 not sure still on 2 but it's supposed to be the best.So you bit the bullet and got one,bet we won't hear from you on the forums much now then,lol.
Clanger67 60

Postby KernowDevil23 » 21 Jan 2012, 17:08

Really depends what kind of games are your cup of tea, so to speak. Some of the games listed by Sid are the best ones on PS3, so I'm struggling for recommendations really but to help, check out......

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:P ... only_games

There must be some that you fancy!

Oh and if you want, add me on your PSN when you have time (DoctorRossi46). Which reminds me, the fact that you can't change your tag once chosen sucks balls. I'd pay to change it but alas, there is no option to do so. :?
KernowDevil23 56

Next