to access exclusive content, comment on articles, win prizes and post on our forums. Not a member yet? Join now!

Resident Evil 6

Playing them, beating them, moaning about them, celebrating them

Resident Evil 6

Postby OXM ETboy » 20 Jan 2012, 00:11

I should hate this - I've been moaning about Resi abandoning survival horror for years. But it looks like very enjoyable high action nonsense.

http://www.oxm.co.uk/37987/resident-evi ... y-trailer/
OXM ETboy
OXM Staff

Re: Resident Evil 6

Postby NinthGeorgesw » 20 Jan 2012, 00:19

I hope playing as different characters provides different styles of campaign, ie playing as Leon appears to be more survival horror, and Chris' campaign seems more like an action game.
NinthGeorgesw 42

Postby OXM ETboy » 20 Jan 2012, 00:25

Yeah, I had the same feeling about the Leon/Chris split - nice to see some shadowy environments in there.
OXM ETboy
OXM Staff

Postby comabob » 20 Jan 2012, 13:23

to say im massively disappointed would be an understatement.

im a little pissed off too. is this the return to franchise roots we were promised? a cover system? slide manoeuvres? gunfights?

look like a gears clone with better graphics imho
"The boy said he's from hell. Maybe that's where we're going..."
comabob 52

Postby Grummy » 20 Jan 2012, 14:51

comabob wrote:to say im massively disappointed would be an understatement.

im a little pissed off too. is this the return to franchise roots we were promised? a cover system? slide manoeuvres? gunfights?

look like a gears clone with better graphics imho

All your base ARE, infact, belong to us.

By 'return to roots' I thought they meant bad but hilarious voice acting and terribly placed loading....."maybe it's........(loading, listen to cd load).......Chris".
One. Warrior. Nation.
Grummy 64
OXM Moderator

Postby Decent_Jam » 20 Jan 2012, 15:17

I can't wait for this, love a bit of zombie-death-kill action and with no Left 4 Dead 3 announced this looks like the place to get it.

Admittedly the change from original Resi style is disappointing in a way, really this is more the sort of game I enjoy playing, and one which I'm actually good at - scary games get to me too much, hence I haven't played Dead Space.

I hope the mechanics all work well together rather than just being tacked in, really interested to see what the story holds as well, sure it may be rubbishy but hey it will be fun!
Decent_Jam

Game: GT - "Decent Jam"
Tweet: @James_Parry
Email: jamesmparry87@gmail.com
Site - This Is Entertainment: http://jamesmparry.wordpress.com/

Xbox One : Titanfall, Battlefield 4, Killer Instinct, Forza 5, head to OXM Nights for a meet up.
Decent_Jam 58

Postby TJ Doc » 22 Jan 2012, 16:44

Looks great, but I skipped Resi 5 because of the overbearing co-op mechanic (the demo was more than enough to put me off). Hopefully going solo won't be hindered by crummy AI this time.
http://reviewpit.blogspot.com/ - My little corner of the internet.
TJ Doc 24

Postby gooner77 » 24 Jan 2012, 16:46

For me the online co-op was the best aspect of Res 5. Looking forward to Res6 a lot, dodgy logo and all
gooner77 40

Postby comabob » 29 Dec 2012, 13:37

Ive been given this as a xmas gift and started playing Leons campaign yesterday afternoon.

I finished it around 2am last night/this morning - around 10.5hours in one sitting. (i had a babysitter :wink: )

I thoroughly enjoyed it. THOROUGHLY. Yeah it wasnt survival horror but it was f**king action packed exciting stuff.

Some truly memorable sequences in there too i wont go into any details but several sections are worth replaying jsut for the atmosphere. The whole campaign had a sense of dread to it. Even the repeated bass line that sounds like something from a John Carpenter film - oozes with dread. There were a couple of things that annoyed me like loads of QTE's in the first hour and the graphics felt way too dark in places but the lighting effects, the gunplay, the damage effects on the zombies (YES actual zombies!!) and the crazy setpieces made it worthwhile.

I hate not having a shop to buy and upgrade weapons at though. Thew skill point system thats there seems neat so far but its no "What are ya buying stranger?".

Ive started on Chris's campaign and while its clearly way more action so far (ive just started chapter 2) it thankfully still feels like the same game as leon's - which is odd considering how different they are.

But way i see it - even if i dont enjoy any of the other content as much as leons - Resident Evil 6 is stil way more impressive than the demo had led me to believe.
comabob 52

Postby comabob » 30 Dec 2012, 14:50

Im now at the start of Chapter 4 in Chris' campaign. Its good - not as good as Leon but it IS good. The giant invisible snake i just defeated is a good example of why.

Needing a break from the constant gunplay with Chris i started Jake's campaign and his emphasis on hand to hand moves is a fresh change of pace. PLUS his moves are really fun and satisfying too!! I am tempted to play his campaign as Sherry though as she has access to an electric cattleprod thing which looks pretty cool.

Pretty awesome game if im being honest. It has its problems of course but as an all out action game set in the Resident Evil universe its pretty damn awesome.

Oh and ive found that you CAN pause the game but you have to change the settiings to offline. Minor thing but after finishing Leon and most of Chris it was nice to find that i could actually have paused it at any point.

IF anyone was on the fence about RE6 - or if anyone was put off solely on the basis of the demo - rent the game you may be suprised.
comabob 52

Postby OXM ETboy » 30 Dec 2012, 14:59

Pleased to hear you're enjoying this, coma. I think RE6's big problem - shortage of real scares aside - is that the presentation invites comparisons with other third-person shooters that aren't borne out by the gunplay. The stamina system, herb mechanics, QTE heaviness and dodging while aiming really set this game apart, but on the surface it just looks like Gears and Uncharted, and the first couple of hours are rather jarring as a consequence. I think there's also a problem with consistency - both in terms of minutiae like not being able to shoot corpses before they reanimate, and in terms of how the plotlines hang together - but that's arguably a byproduct of one of RE6's assets, which is that it's basically a massive variety show, chucking new ideas at you in every chapter. Overall, I'd encourage everybody to rent it and see if they can find the moment when it "clicks".
OXM ETboy
OXM Staff

Postby comabob » 30 Dec 2012, 17:40

OXM ETboy wrote:Pleased to hear you're enjoying this, coma. I think RE6's big problem - shortage of real scares aside - is that the presentation invites comparisons with other third-person shooters that aren't borne out by the gunplay. The stamina system, herb mechanics, QTE heaviness and dodging while aiming really set this game apart, but on the surface it just looks like Gears and Uncharted, and the first couple of hours are rather jarring as a consequence. I think there's also a problem with consistency - both in terms of minutiae like not being able to shoot corpses before they reanimate, and in terms of how the plotlines hang together - but that's arguably a byproduct of one of RE6's assets, which is that it's basically a massive variety show, chucking new ideas at you in every chapter. Overall, I'd encourage everybody to rent it and see if they can find the moment when it "clicks".

Very true.

I think it helps in my case as i had been playing through RE5 about a week before i started 6. So it felt like a irect sequel to RE5 as opposed to a "new Resident Evil Game" if that makes sense. Also while it has become techincally a third person shooter, as you say - it definitely sets itself apart from the rest because of the herbs, inventory and aiming it still manages to resemble Resident Evil.

Personally it clicked when i reached the highway in Leon's campaign, the way the headlights of abandoned cars were sillouhetting the zombies brought a smile to my face. Scenes like that made me feel like i was playing a true next gen RE game - which RE5 and even RE4 NEVER managed to do.

I do think the complaints about inanimate zombies you cant shoot until the game decides its appropriate is a genuine complaint but after the first few hours of playtime i stopped noticing it (or maybe it just didnt bother me as much) - it helped that iit wasnt every single body you came across though. As far as plot is concerned, i dont know why capcom didnt just make one long continuous campaign and left the fact that you change protagonists as a surprise - like Code Veronica did. As it stands im following the plots seperately but as soon as the date showed on screen at the start of Jake's i knew i should have chronologically started with his story....

Annoying - but much like every other RE game (even 5) i played and replayed them all loads of times and enjoyed each playthrough. Id do speedruns in the o0lder ones to unlock all the extra content and id grind like crazy in 4 and 5 to max out the upgrades. Seeing the skill system in 6 confirmed my own suspicions that i'd be doing the same for 6. Once ive done each campaign once - i will definitely be going through them again a couple of times for the unlocks and upgrades.
comabob 52

Postby Decent_Jam » 04 Jan 2013, 18:12

This one is definitely on my "buy it on the cheap" list, since I always enjoy playing Resident Evil games, however survival horror, or not, they are. There's far too many games between me and this at the moment though so I suspect it may end up passing me by entirely giving my game completion speed. Glad to hear it isn't as terrible as some reviews would have you believe though, even though I would tend to try a game myself before judging it by its boxart.
Decent_Jam

Game: GT - "Decent Jam"
Tweet: @James_Parry
Email: jamesmparry87@gmail.com
Site - This Is Entertainment: http://jamesmparry.wordpress.com/

Xbox One : Titanfall, Battlefield 4, Killer Instinct, Forza 5, head to OXM Nights for a meet up.
Decent_Jam 58

Postby Carpet Monkey » 04 Jan 2013, 22:56

My worst game of 2012 I'm afraid. Although, put into context, that's not so horrendous because I didn't really play any bad games that year! Only played leon's campaign and had an hour or so on Chris, which was more than enough. Apparently they are all pretty horrendous after leon's, which is pretty ropey anyway.

There is a good game in there somewhere, but it is completely smothered with terrible set pieces and QTEs. Some sections were brilliantly tense in leon's story, but sections like the first hour will have you wincing and nearly putting the game away for good. Incredibly brief glimpses of greatness, but sadly it came across to me as a jumbled mess of an identity crisis.
Gamertag : Carpet Monkey
Carpet Monkey 42

Postby FishyGinger » 05 Jan 2013, 17:14

I only played the demo and watched some videos but it was too jarring straight off the bat. The movement was shocking, why does Leon insist on running everywhere, it's a creepy university I want to walk slowly. The zombie I shot fifteen times in the head while he was asleep...nah, he doesn't care. Too much hand to hand combat and blah.....

I'm fairly sure it's not just because I really liked the resi games before it, even 5 I thought was good. It just makes so many wrong turns. After the Leon campaign it went from a buy cheap to avoid completely. There are elements that are good (no capcom, completely pointless co-op tasks not included) but it was just too hamfisted an attempt.

It is a shame because I usually find something to enjoy in any game but I just couldn't bring myself to like any of it. I really hope they get the next one a bit righter. For me anyhow.
I have given pleasure to the world because I have such a beautiful ass.
FishyGinger 66

Next