to join the Xbox community. Not a member yet? Join now!

Far Cry 3

Playing them, beating them, moaning about them, celebrating them

Far Cry 3

Postby Bezza89 » 27 Jan 2012, 12:11

I was just wondering who is interested in this game? I liked Far Cry 2, sure it took its toll a lot what with cars breaking down and having to walk until you met some respawned outpost, but apart from this it had a great story, great world and great graphics, along with some bold gameplay - cars breaking down, guns breaking/jamming, getting shot and pulling the bullet out, malaria... not so much... was a great playground anyway.

The sequel looks to have improved a lot but has gotten rid of most of these elements above, and it looks from that demo to be a bit too scripted... and maybe even qte filled.

If anyone knows a likely release too I'd be interested in knowing.
...and if you tell that to the kids of today, they wont believe you!
Bezza89 67

Re: Far Cry 3

Postby CunningSmile » 27 Jan 2012, 12:34

I really liked Farcry Predator/Instinct but I'm a sucker for anything with werewolf like aspects. Farcry 2 I just found way to frustrating. Killing the same people time after time because of the respawn, taking forever to get anywhere as a result and only having three bullets and a broken gun when you got there just killed it for me after a few hours. Pity because it looked gorgeous. I'll check out FC3, but it's with reservations.
Confirmation Bias is a bad thing, I've read a book that agreed with me about that
CunningSmile 72
OXM Moderator

Postby Strike Z3R0 » 27 Jan 2012, 13:00

It does look pretty cool but we still haven't heard much about it yet. I'll most likely pick up a copy because I <3 RPGs and shooters and this is both. The game website says its release is September this year I don't think that's an offical release date but it does seem very likely.
pro gloria imperii
Strike Z3R0 21

Postby Bezza89 » 27 Jan 2012, 13:01

It was hardcore as they say, but perseverance was rewarded after 20 hours lol. You'll probably like 3 seeing as it does away with the spawning and gun degrading. I just hope they sort out the stealth, as I play games stealthily, so when I'm in the grass at night sniping, I don't expect to get shot at from miles away after I shoot one bullet.
Bezza89 67

Postby Decent_Jam » 27 Jan 2012, 21:34

I looked into this a lot the other week (as well as Borderlands 2) for research purposes and I can see it's probably not my type of game but I like the fact that there are multiple ways to complete each area, and there's an element of realism in enemy movement too, plus using environmental effects to your advantage is cool.
Decent_Jam

Game: GT - "Decent Jam"
Tweet: @James_Parry
Email: jamesmparry87@gmail.com
Site - This Is Entertainment: http://jamesmparry.wordpress.com/

Playing : Watch Dogs, TF, BF4, KI, Forza 5 - head to OXM Nights to meet up.
Decent_Jam 61

Postby SidTheSloth » 30 Jan 2012, 18:20

Hmm, i have 2 but i played about 30 minutes of it and havent been back since, mainly because of my own inability to shoot straight. I should really try it again as that's certainly not enough time to judge it fairly but priority list wise it's almost 3 figures in terms of position. As per normal though, some of the things you mention about it immediately make it sound interesting again and now i want a blast at it!
(2 + 4 = Fish) / Sloth = Better
SidTheSloth 53

Postby Clanger67 » 31 Jan 2012, 17:30

Bezza89 wrote:I was just wondering who is interested in this game? I liked Far Cry 2, sure it took its toll a lot what with cars breaking down and having to walk until you met some respawned outpost, but apart from this it had a great story, great world and great graphics, along with some bold gameplay - cars breaking down, guns breaking/jamming, getting shot and pulling the bullet out, malaria... not so much... was a great playground anyway.

The sequel looks to have improved a lot but has gotten rid of most of these elements above, and it looks from that demo to be a bit too scripted... and maybe even qte filled.

If anyone knows a likely release too I'd be interested in knowing.

It is supposed to be the 16th march i reckon.I liked 2 but isn't this supposed to be like the first with all the islands etc.,it's a shame they are doing away with the gun jams and that as well.
Cry havoc ! and let slip the dogs of war.
Clanger67 60

Postby Clanger67 » 12 Feb 2012, 12:12

I thought march was a bit ambitious it is supposed to be 23rd november now.Might struggle against gtav and if they have dumbed it down which it sounds like with no weapon degradation.
Clanger67 60

Postby Bezza89 » 12 Feb 2012, 12:51

They haven't dumbed it down, they've listened to feedback, not many people thought it was good, they thought it more annoying, which it kind of was if you forgot to pick up a new gun - which wasn't often as safehouses were everywhere. If they'd fixed the stealth and increased the checkpoint respawn time it would have been more amazing, if people finish the game they'd love it, but it did kind of grate.

The malaria stuff was odd, I never had any medication but nothing bad happened.

Also, gtav has no release date yet and nor does this, so it could do well.
Bezza89 67

Postby Clanger67 » 12 Feb 2012, 12:56

Sorry because i suppose it is only a guess but zavvi reckon the 23rd for both it will be suicide if it gets released same day as gtav.Also if it is back to the islands like the first one i hope they do sort the stealth out so you can snipe targets and not everybody in the vicinity on your ass.

Edit: I finished 2 and enjoyed it mostly i thought the malaria thing was a bit of a stick on gimmick.I hope it does i will probably get it i just hope eventhough it's estimated release they get it out before gta.
Clanger67 60

Postby Bezza89 » 28 Sep 2012, 21:48

Anyone read the interview on cvg? Made me really interested in the game again, the open world sounds like it'll be great to explore and character progression, story and gameplay wise (with both interlinked too), sounds phenomenal. It's like they took my favourite bits about every game I like and mashed them together.
Bezza89 67

Postby Clanger67 » 29 Sep 2012, 09:34

I have had it pre ordered for months,given it was supposed to be out this month.Really looking forward to it,looks like a better version of one from what i have seen.One of my most anticipated releases this year as well as the Minecraft update,lol.

Did check the interview out,sounds great,also sounds like i am going to be a spider as well,lol.Like some of the decisions they have made for it and he even admits that two had its faults which they have improved upon.
Clanger67 60

Postby Bezza89 » 29 Sep 2012, 21:34

Yeah they're saying nothing but good stuff; kind of worrying really lol. Two months left, agonising wait as I too had preordered when september 3rd release dates were there.
Bezza89 67

Postby Clanger67 » 30 Sep 2012, 08:54

Bezza89 wrote:Yeah they're saying nothing but good stuff; kind of worrying really lol. Two months left, agonising wait as I too had preordered when september 3rd release dates were there.

Trouble is they are never going to say anything bad even if it is complete tosh,which i doubt,lol.So much so when i pre ordered went for the Insane CE edition as Zavvi only wanted fourty five for it,that's was only a tenner more than the standard.Gone up to fifty five now though.Not sure i will have much use for the Hawaiin skirt bobble head,lol,but the added missions that total up to an hour look tasty.Also like the rolled up survival kit packaging it comes in.Whatever roll on Nov. 30th although not for the weather,lol.
Clanger67 60

Postby comabob » 30 Sep 2012, 09:08

The 2nd was an epic fail imho.

The map was too big and empty, the shooting felt off, the stealth didnt work, the missions conmstantly forced you to drive for 2 hours to get killed by a respawned guardpost with an eagle eyed pistol wielding sniper, the story had potential but was seriously sqaundered by plain silly mechanics.

Also - was it just me or did every character speed-read their lines?

It looked nice and it occasionally showed signs of something decent (when it worked) but the 1st game was so much better.

Which makes 3 a rental at best.
"The boy said he's from hell. Maybe that's where we're going..."
comabob 52

Next