XBLA

Playing them, beating them, moaning about them, celebrating them

XBLA

Postby Bezza89 » 06 Feb 2012, 23:57

I can't see a thread for these at all, but I'm wondering on release dates for Trials Evolution and Minecraft - two awesome looking arcade games. There's also Alan Wake and I am Alive coming out this month I believe. Personally the latter two look Shadow Complex polish wise, which is incidentally my favourite XBLA game. Any other good ones? I've done limbo, braid etc. I'm just after release dates but may as well give xbla a dedicated thread. Though most people will just ignore it and create a new one like that mgs idiot. :lol:
...and if you tell that to the kids of today, they wont believe you!
Bezza89 69

Re: XBLA

Postby Plamsa wing » 07 Feb 2012, 01:41

As far as I know Minecraft is still TBA. Not too sure on Trials, never did like the umm trial for the first one.

I can't wait for new Alan Wake loved the first and I finally got 100% on it last week. I Am Alive looks pretty good, I think i'll have to try out the demo first though. I recommend playing Bastion, I got it during the previous christmas sale and loved it, easily one of my favourites now. I'll also say you should try out Torchlight and Beyond Good and Evil HD which I bought since I loved the original.

I'm inclined to suggest Section 8: Prejudice which frankly needs more players and it really is a good game. For 1200 MSP it's a steal with it's 3-5 hour long campaign and multiplayer which has bots that fill in empty spots providing bots are turned on for that server. At least give the trial a go.
I spilled flour in my uncle's kitchen, now I've got a croissant.
Plamsa wing 57

Postby SidTheSloth » 07 Feb 2012, 11:07

I'll second bastion - although i haven't played it nearly enough! It was half price last i looked at thJoe Danger looks awesome too (although 1200 MS), also orcs must die gets rave reviews from gamers if not critics...

I need to play limbo, but i could say that about another million games i've already bought.

Super meat boy is held in high esteem too but it's not my bag...

Maybe i've missed something but wasn't trials evolution going to be retail originally? I can see now it's def arcade but could swear i read they were going for a boxed release - i remember thinking at the time it'd be difficult to justify 30-40 for a souped up arcade effort...?
(2 + 4 = Fish) / Sloth = Better
SidTheSloth 54

Postby CunningSmile » 07 Feb 2012, 11:37

If you are looking to replace a Skyrim addiction with another game addiction anything by Popcap fits the bill. I've lost way to much of my life to Peggle and Plants v Zombies.

And if you are looking to relax and unwind ilomilo is a really fun puzzle game that allows you to take your time, work things out and has a very good co-op mode as well.
"Jar Jar, you're a genius"
CunningSmile 74
OXM Moderator

Postby SidTheSloth » 07 Feb 2012, 11:40

I've lost hours to plants vs zombies on iOS - does it work ok on a controller? Im guessing so or else you wouldn't recommend, but buyer beware, addiction is guaranteed, just...... one....... more...... level.....!
SidTheSloth 54

Postby CunningSmile » 07 Feb 2012, 11:57

SidTheSloth wrote:I've lost hours to plants vs zombies on iOS - does it work ok on a controller? Im guessing so or else you wouldn't recommend, but buyer beware, addiction is guaranteed, just...... one....... more...... level.....!

It works quite well, although I haven't played the iOS version to compare. You use the triggers to move left and right on the plant menu, with plant and spade mapped to the face buttons. My girlfriend finished it in about two days without sleep as a result of the heroin like addictive properties.

I keep meaning to play Bastion but never seem to have money at the same time it's on sale.
"Jar Jar, you're a genius"
CunningSmile 74
OXM Moderator

Postby SidTheSloth » 07 Feb 2012, 12:15

Yeah i can see where the heroin addiction comes in, it's nothing short of ridiculous how it grabs you. I don't understand the frenzy with angry birds but p vs z is very good, although it took me a few levels before i got sucked in!

I havent played enough bastion but the narrator/commentator is fantastic and worth playing the game for by himself! :)
SidTheSloth 54

Postby Plamsa wing » 07 Feb 2012, 12:27

I have Plants VS Zombies on the PC. I'm now very tempted to go on it now damn you two. Shame i'm at work, pfft I can play on my DS but not my laptop, it's not fair. *throws a fit*
I spilled flour in my uncle's kitchen, now I've got a croissant.
Plamsa wing 57

Postby SidTheSloth » 07 Feb 2012, 12:29

Plamsa wing wrote:I have Plants VS Zombies on the PC. I'm now very tempted to go on it now damn you two. Shame i'm at work, pfft I can play on my DS but not my laptop, it's not fair. *throws a fit*

Make sure you take on a lot of fluids and eat a big meal before you start, may be the last you get for a while! :wink: The perfect example of a simple idea well executed!
SidTheSloth 54

Postby Bezza89 » 07 Feb 2012, 12:41

I'd like to clarify - I don't need arcade games was just wondering what the dates were and what everyones favourites are. Think bastion sale finished yesterday anyway. Trials Evo is out in the spring apparently, I'm not keen on the first but the trailer looked awesome, it's on live check it out.
...and if you tell that to the kids of today, they wont believe you!
Bezza89 69

Postby Wadium_Arcadium » 07 Feb 2012, 20:10

Bastion's easily my favourite Arcade title, loved everything about it. Can't wait for Minecraft, shame they haven't announced a release date yet. The new Alan Wake sounds a bit odd, compared to what I've heard of the original, sounds like they're going to try all out action.
"The lord of silver fountains, the king of carven stone. The king beneath the mountain shall come into his own. And the bell shall ring in gladness at the mountain king's return, but all shall fail in sadness, and the lake will shine and burn."
Wadium_Arcadium 38

Postby SidTheSloth » 17 Feb 2012, 00:04

So has anyone bought the simpsons arcade yet? Is it the original graphics or have they HD'd them up a bit? I know the gameplay is staggeringly simple but i'm still very tempted by it, used to love that and turtles etc. Thinking if a few get it we could four player it for a laugh?
SidTheSloth 54

Postby Clanger67 » 17 Feb 2012, 00:17

SidTheSloth wrote:So has anyone bought the simpsons arcade yet? Is it the original graphics or have they HD'd them up a bit? I know the gameplay is staggeringly simple but i'm still very tempted by it, used to love that and turtles etc. Thinking if a few get it we could four player it for a laugh?

Not sure if it has had the hd magic but there is a trial at 18mb or did you already know.
Cry havoc ! and let slip the dogs of war.
Clanger67 60

Postby KernowDevil23 » 17 Feb 2012, 00:24

I have it on PS3. As a PS Plus subscriber, I got it for free. My advice?......Save your money. It's shit.
I don't care if a game is "the same every year." So is pizza. Stop buying the bad pizza. Buy the good pizza.
KernowDevil23 56

Postby SidTheSloth » 17 Feb 2012, 00:42

Cheers Clanger, don't know why that didn't occur! Doh! As Homer would say! :wink:

KernowDevil23 wrote:I have it on PS3. As a PS Plus subscriber, I got it for free. My advice?......Save your money. It's shit.

I think they should let you review a game now and then Kernow, if i ever picked up a magazine that had a review that simply said "It's shit - 1/10" I think i'd die laughing and subscribe forever, sometimes you don't need to know why! :D

What's kind of annoying if i think back is i probably spent enough on the stupid game in arcades back in the day to buy a copy now if it was sold retail!! Those were the days where you could buy a Marathon and a bag of walkers and still get change from a quid too! :wink:
SidTheSloth 54

Next