Halo dev: don't block used games with Xbox 720, lower prices

Your comments on our articles.

"Players should have the right to buy and sell physical products"

It was recently rumoured that Microsoft's next Xbox console would feature some kind of anti-used-games system, possibly involving online registration. Cue internet-wide outcry and some mixed responses from developers.... read more

Halo dev: don't block used games with Xbox 720, lower prices

Postby Bezza89 » 08 Feb 2012, 14:16

I agree and disagree. I wont pay out full price for random, or B class games, but Bioware, R*, Bethesda, Gears and all the top class titles that do well anyway deserve my money. It would be better to have price brackets for games, Arcade - 1200 or less, B titles - £20-£30, AAA games - £40. It would be subjective and ultimately fail to be honest.

I'm with Cliff Blezinski, keep people glued to your game with extra content, but I would work DLC prices/passes in with the retail product, it's no fun spending £40 on gears then £20 on a pass or on subsequent content. Sell it for £50 with a pass, or first two dlcs free. That would probably also fail.
...and if you tell that to the kids of today, they wont believe you!
Bezza89 69

Re: Halo dev: don't block used games with Xbox 720, lower pr

Postby hujiki » 08 Feb 2012, 14:34

I would never buy the console if this was to exist, like seriously developers make shit loads of money.

Ok they say they loose money on preowned games, make a sea with retailers, I'm sure i read a few weeks back retailers are saying dump the online pass and we will share revenue; their you go... PROBLEM SOLVED... but now you guys are being greedy.. Make Class A++ games and they will sell, look at GOW3, MW3, BF3, Skyrim etc.. they were good, they sold... Happy Developers and happy customers...

Seriously you guys are starting to care less about what customers want and are just cashing in, i know its business but seriously look after your customers..
hujiki 28

Postby Clanger67 » 08 Feb 2012, 14:35

I will happily pay top money for a release i have been looking forward to.But then like this year in the next few months nobody can afford to get every single game that is released when it is released.Factor this in over a length of time and your only option sometimes is to buy pre owned because it is impossible to find brand new.
Cry havoc ! and let slip the dogs of war.
Clanger67 60

Postby Bezza89 » 08 Feb 2012, 14:39

hujiki wrote:I would never buy the console if this was to exist, like seriously developers make shit loads of money.

Ok they say they loose money on preowned games, make a sea with retailers, I'm sure i read a few weeks back retailers are saying dump the online pass and we will share revenue; their you go... PROBLEM SOLVED... but now you guys are being greedy.. Make Class A++ games and they will sell, look at GOW3, MW3, BF3, Skyrim etc.. they were good, they sold... Happy Developers and happy customers...

Seriously you guys are starting to care less about what customers want and are just cashing in, i know its business but seriously look after your customers..

Those devs aren't complaining about lost sales it's the smaller ones, who can't afford to make the graphics as stellar and lose sales as a result of it not looking pretty enough as well.
Bezza89 69

Postby Clanger67 » 08 Feb 2012, 14:48

Trouble is as well smaller devs aren't let off the hook the same as a bigger developer.Skyrim for example because i am playing it the update still isn't out but i love the game and and bought the day it was released because you know it's gonna get fixed.
Cry havoc ! and let slip the dogs of war.
Clanger67 60

Postby STE MO » 08 Feb 2012, 14:53

Maybe this lock to console won't work over here, you know what the Europeans are like!
STE MO 51

Postby AllusiveTurtle » 08 Feb 2012, 16:25

Personally I have never bought a second hand game and very much doubt that I ever will. I buy a huge amount of games, most of them on release and have a collection approaching 300 games. However, my thinking when I buy a game is that if I do not like it, I can always sell it after having given it a spin (though I have to say that I have never traded in a game). I have always believed that if a product of any description was sold more cheaply, that more of that product would be sold in the first place, as more people could afford it. It makes sense that if a person is prepared to part with £20 for a second hand game and then a further £10 for a Season Pass to replace the one that was use when the game was initially purchased, that they are will be willing to part with £30 to buy the game new thus enabling all the money to go to the developer. Ultimately I believe that if developers sell the games more cheaply, they will sell more and quite possibly make still more money once all sales have been made than they would if they stick to the higher price.

It is quite wrong to prevent people from selling a purchased item once they have finished with it, and I can think of no other product that does it; once you buy the product, it becomes your to do with as you please. From cars to CDs, DVDs to toys, all can be bought second hand, no other product seems so fixated with the second hand market as games developers. I strongly believe that developers will suffer a significant drop in sales of new games if purchasers of new games cannot rely on being able to sell them on; this could be the kiss-of-death for game developers, as the majority of people that trade in games, do so to buy a new game. Kill the second-hand market and you will put less money into the pockets of the very people who keep the games industry afloat.
AllusiveTurtle 44

Postby CunningSmile » 08 Feb 2012, 16:31

Bezza89 wrote:I agree and disagree. I wont pay out full price for random, or B class games, but Bioware, R*, Bethesda, Gears and all the top class titles that do well anyway deserve my money. It would be better to have price brackets for games, Arcade - 1200 or less, B titles - £20-£30, AAA games - £40. It would be subjective and ultimately fail to be honest.

Problem with that is that if it's anything like books and DVDs the B titles are being over charged to subsidise the AAA titles and keep the cost of those down. By introducing price brackets we could end up paying £20-30 for the second tier titles but Skyrim or Mass Effect would set us back £60+ :(
"Jar Jar, you're a genius"
CunningSmile 74
OXM Moderator

Postby Bezza89 » 08 Feb 2012, 16:36

Like I said, it would fail. It's what I do anyway, pay around £20 new for new IPs where I'm making a risk or sequels to games I know are average.
Bezza89 69

Postby coldshank » 10 Feb 2012, 17:19

blocking used games is criminal, plain and simple. If the downloadable games on xbl were reasonably priced I'm sure more people would buy them which would solve half the problem. I won't support a console that doesn't allow used games not that I buy a lot of them as I tend to know which games I want and buy them at release but there has been many a game I simply would not have been able to play if I hadn't tracked down a used copy somewhere. Simply check the game website at how many older games they still have in stock and you'd see we'd be screwed without used games.
coldshank 2

Postby CunningSmile » 10 Feb 2012, 17:26

coldshank wrote:blocking used games is criminal, plain and simple. If the downloadable games on xbl were reasonably priced I'm sure more people would buy them which would solve half the problem. I won't support a console that doesn't allow used games not that I buy a lot of them as I tend to know which games I want and buy them at release but there has been many a game I simply would not have been able to play if I hadn't tracked down a used copy somewhere. Simply check the game website at how many older games they still have in stock and you'd see we'd be screwed without used games.

Game don't stock older games because they would rather gouge us on the used titles. If they didn't have that option they would stock the older ones.
"Jar Jar, you're a genius"
CunningSmile 74
OXM Moderator