to access exclusive content, comment on articles, win prizes and post on our forums. Not a member yet? Join now!

Revealed: the Mass Effect 3 ending BioWare canned before rel

Your comments on our articles.

Writer discusses Dark Energy plotline in new report

Mass Effect 3's endings have delighted some, depressed others. Yay-sayers feel the absence of a sunshine-and-roses option is all grown-up and sophisticated. Nay-sayers think there's nothing wrong with a send-off that leaves you smiling, and argue that the game's surprise pre-credits twist renders many/most key trilogy story decisions irrelevant.... read more

Revealed: the Mass Effect 3 ending BioWare canned before rel

Postby Bezza89 » 14 Mar 2012, 16:01

They changed dark energy to synthetics and organics inevitable chaos/destruction. They could have merged the two, what with dark energy making the chaos. Regardless, Drew shouldn't have gone to old republic - but I still like the ending that was given. His seems a lot more darker, with a sequel more likely but more problematic - wiping out humanity one of the options?
It's all in the game...
Bezza89 65

Re: Revealed: the Mass Effect 3 ending BioWare canned before

Postby CunningSmile » 14 Mar 2012, 16:20

One of Drew's strengths as a games writer and a novelist has always been his ability to throw unexpected twists at you that never the less fit perfectly due to subtle foreshadowing. It's something I felt was lacking from Dragon Age and I think will be sorely missed in future Bioware titles.
What do you get when you cross a joke with a rhetorical question?
CunningSmile 68
OXM Moderator

Postby Bezza89 » 14 Mar 2012, 16:26

Very much so, I've been watching Breaking Bad recently and that does these random plot elements that link back to previous episodes and you're like, oh yeah. You're walking the blade edge cunning for avoiding the mass effect 3 ending? I wouldn't read on, I'm quite vague but still.

I would have liked the keepers to be the catalyst at the end, that would have been more in context too.
It's all in the game...
Bezza89 65

Postby paulbrown23 » 14 Mar 2012, 16:32

I think I'd have preferred this ending, but only slightly due to the fact that there's no glaring irregularities with the universe that they have set up. I am still not a fan of them trying to give the Reapers a bigger motivation. I thought that their motivation worked perfectly well when it seemed to be "The Reapers harvest organic life every 50 000 years, because that is how they reproduce." I guess that just worked for me.
Dark Energy was foreshadowed, but only slightly. Only enough to have been a possible side quest explored, but not enough to be the main reason for the Reaper threat, in my opinion.
paulbrown23 34

Postby OXM JamSponge » 14 Mar 2012, 17:20

I think this Dark Energy ending sounds like a load of old balls. Hugely glad they went with the option they eventually chose.
OXM JamSponge 36

Postby Plamsa wing » 14 Mar 2012, 17:29

This was actually my theory as to what the reapers are. It's a damn shame they never went with this one.
"Hey! Don't lob factual statements at me as if they're insults!"
Plamsa wing 54

Postby Bezza89 » 14 Mar 2012, 17:35

OXM JamSponge wrote:I think this Dark Energy ending sounds like a load of old balls. Hugely glad they went with the option they eventually chose.

I wouldn't go that far, but I am also glad the ending is how it is. However, what is your opinion on the kid, I seriously had no idea why the hell the kid was the AI, I think a keeper would have been more fitting. I also think this kid is the reason so many people are annoyed with the ending - I think it's brilliant regardless.
It's all in the game...
Bezza89 65

Postby golliwoza » 14 Mar 2012, 18:02

I wasnt too bad with the ending I dont mind the doom and gloom but I would of wanted a bit more clarification with what happens to my crew and other people (kinda like in the end of FNV it is explained) plus some of my choices to have impacts and I didnt like that kid but apart from that I really enjoyed the game and it is one of my all time favourites.

Also is it just me or does insanity mode seem really easy?
Where we are going we wont need eyes to see.
golliwoza 56

Postby OXM JamSponge » 14 Mar 2012, 18:16

Bezza89 wrote:
OXM JamSponge wrote:I think this Dark Energy ending sounds like a load of old balls. Hugely glad they went with the option they eventually chose.

I wouldn't go that far, but I am also glad the ending is how it is. However, what is your opinion on the kid, I seriously had no idea why the hell the kid was the AI, I think a keeper would have been more fitting. I also think this kid is the reason so many people are annoyed with the ending - I think it's brilliant regardless.

Personally I don't think the kid was the kid - it makes more sense to me that this was merely the form this higher force has chosen to show to Shepard. If this being has the ability to dip into people's psyches, this is the first thing that would just out of Shepard, with all of his mental dreams n'all.

I'm not 100% sure that the kid was AI really, either - although I might have missed something. I felt it was more a case of it being an even higher force than the Reapers, something that designed them. Basically, it represented the closest thing to the concept of 'God' that we could hope to understand - adding a new level of mystery to ME's universe that I didn't see coming, but did enjoy. I've no idea what it really is, but for whatever reason it set the plan in motion, overseeing the Reaping process repeatedly for thousands and thousands of years.
OXM JamSponge 36

Postby wedgybaby » 14 Mar 2012, 18:26

The ending that they have gone with is dire.

Truly awful and not at all in keeping with the feel of the three games.

I am a huge fan of the series and have played every game multiple times, all the DLC, read the comics and all the books... this ending does not work.

It’s not that we wanted sunshine and roses, not at all. But we wanted closure. The current ending reduces all your choices to A, B or C, something that the designers specifically said they would not do. We have been tricked.

This is not to mention the gaping plot holes. Members of my team ended up on the Normandy in the final scene, crash landing on a planet many light years away... but they were with me on Earth just moments earlier...

I dont mind a twist, but at least make it a good one that actually works and fits into the mythology.

Anyway, I for one hope they change this. There is a place for risky twist filled endings that leave you guessing and talking about for weeks after. That place was LOST, and it was rubbish there too.
wedgybaby 1

Postby Bezza89 » 14 Mar 2012, 19:33

OXM JamSponge wrote:I'm not 100% sure that the kid was AI really, either - although I might have missed something. I felt it was more a case of it being an even higher force than the Reapers, something that designed them. Basically, it represented the closest thing to the concept of 'God' that we could hope to understand - adding a new level of mystery to ME's universe that I didn't see coming, but did enjoy. I've no idea what it really is, but for whatever reason it set the plan in motion, overseeing the Reaping process repeatedly for thousands and thousands of years.

I also thought maybe shepard had died next to anderson at one point and him going up that elevator was him ascending to heaven. It's interesting how many ways it can be interpreted and how many arguments it has caused - which truly shows how bioware delivered on their promise to make it an ending we'd be talking about for months after release, though I see why some people are upset.

I can't wait to play it again, and use the galaxy at war to make shepard survive, as I made some bad decisions :oops:
It's all in the game...
Bezza89 65

Postby OXM JamSponge » 14 Mar 2012, 20:32

I guess the main reason that I'm not that angry is that my expectations were never high. The ending could never live up to expectations when the journey towards it had been so spectacular. There was no good way of wrapping things up, and I personally think Bioware did the best job they could.

Fundamentally though, it's the journey that matters - I don't understand why people are so fixated on the final destination. Nobody talks about beating Sephiroth: They talk about the moment where Aeris dies.

It's a cliche sure, but do you know what I mean? Bioware never had a chance of pleasing everyone, and I'm glad they decided to wrap things up quickly. People complain that their decisions didn't play a part in the ending, but the impact of all of these had been seen earlier...

I treated the entire of Mass Effect 3 like a finale, and by the time the credits rolled, I felt like I had some kind of closure. It might not be for everyone, but I loved it.
OXM JamSponge 36

Postby Alaric14 » 14 Mar 2012, 20:54

You know, I find myself drawn more to Karpyshyn's (sorry if my spelling is off there) version of events. Since ME2 I've been trying to understand what the big idea was in making a human-reaper, and in one of Karpyshyn's books I recall the Reapers stating through a converted avatar, "We seek salvation. Yours and ours".

I would have been happy to have that big decision at the end, but not out of the blue. If you gradually learned the origins of the Reapers as being massively advanced races who 'consented' to this process of amalgamation way back when, and the problem they're still trying to solve, it would have made a gut-wrenching end without breaking the back of the narrative that you'd become so involved with from the beginning.

The synthetic vs. organic argument comes across as weak, not least because the apparent solution to this problem is to kill off advanced races without allowing them to evolve and grow.
Animator, writer, and NPC molester.
Alaric14 35

Postby Bezza89 » 14 Mar 2012, 21:39

Agreed Mr JamSponge/Matt Lees, and well put, what a journey it was.
It's all in the game...
Bezza89 65

Postby sonicmark » 15 Mar 2012, 17:45

The ending wasn't great, but it wasn't bad either, the Catalyst being a child AI felt a bit too predicted for me however, seriously how many times have we seen the big bad guys being controlled by a child(ren)? It would've been a lot nicer if Bioware could've scrapped 2 of those 3 endings and put more enthusiasm and dynamism into the third one (Shepard dies) and make it more final, otherwise Mass Effect is just going to go on and on, thus losing it's sparkle that made it so brilliant.
sonicmark 28

Next