to access exclusive content, comment on articles, win prizes and post on our forums. Not a member yet? Join now!

Video: Bayonetta lords it over Anarchy Reigns

Your comments on our articles.

Probably the best special guest star ever

We were already quite happy to fall head-over-heels in love with Anarchy Reigns, a game which might loosely be described as "Bayonetta meets Powerstone", and now PlatinumGames has gone and added Bayonetta herself as a special guest. The video below will make your glands ache. All of them.... read more

Video: Bayonetta lords it over Anarchy Reigns

Postby Decent_Jam » 22 Mar 2012, 18:34

Is Bayonetta worth picking up on the cheap at some point then? Bearing in mind I never got to the end of DMC4 but I did like it.
Decent_Jam

Game: GT - "Decent Jam"
Tweet: @James_Parry
Email: jamesmparry87@gmail.com
Site - This Is Entertainment: http://jamesmparry.wordpress.com/

Xbox One : Titanfall, Battlefield 4, Killer Instinct, Forza 5, head to OXM Nights for a meet up.
Decent_Jam 58

Re: Video: Bayonetta lords it over Anarchy Reigns

Postby OXM ETboy » 22 Mar 2012, 18:54

It's brilliant, but I'll admit the trappings make it an acquired taste. You have to really love your OTT.
OXM ETboy
OXM Staff

Postby comabob » 22 Mar 2012, 19:03

OXM ETboy wrote:It's brilliant, but I'll admit the trappings make it an acquired taste. You have to really love your OTT.

Dont listen to the professional critic Jam - its a terrible game.

One of the VERY FEW games ive ever played where i couldnt wait for it to end.
"The boy said he's from hell. Maybe that's where we're going..."
comabob 52

Postby msbhvn » 22 Mar 2012, 19:07

I loved Bayonetta, but then I loved DMC4 as well. As long as you're not expecting the plot to make any sense, Bayonetta is a fantastic spectacle. However, the music is terrible and repetitively repetitively repetitive, with an extra shot of repetition thrown in as a bonus. There are a few nods to classic SEGA arcade games, like Outrun and Space Harrier (one of my all time favourites). Unlockable weapons change the gameplay drastically, giving it great replay value if you can stand the awful J-Pop tune they play EVERY time enemies appear. Did I mention the music is bad and repetitive? :wink: :lol:

And back on topic, having loved Bayonetta and Madworld (Anarchy Reigns is Madworld's spiritual sequel, apparently), I'm quite looking forward to this. Now I think of it, I've liked most Platinum/Clover games, Okami and Vanquish were great too.
I don't get the appeal at all. Like what do they do... say something stupid then read the replies while they touch themselves? - Vampyre_Ghost on trolls.
msbhvn 66

Postby comabob » 22 Mar 2012, 19:24

Yeh it did include levels that were homages to Outrun and Space Harrier but did they need to repeated s mny times as they were? Or go on half as long as they did?

The music was awful, the story was nonsense, the character design was embarrassing and the level design was old school - go down linear corridor - get to opened larger room - kill X amount of enemies - door unlocks and repeat.

In Movie tie0ins this kinda gameplay is always complained about but no one seemed to mind doing it in Bayonetta.

And FYI - DMC4 was a good game. Yeah it had repeated levels but it was still better than Bayonetta.

I remember when it came out at the same time as Darksiders and Dantes Inferno - BOTH were miles better.
(especially Darksiders)
"The boy said he's from hell. Maybe that's where we're going..."
comabob 52

Postby msbhvn » 22 Mar 2012, 19:28

comabob wrote:the level design was old school - go down linear corridor - get to opened larger room - kill X amount of enemies - door unlocks and repeat

You've just perfectly described DMC's gameplay as well as Bayonetta's.

And Devil May Cry HD Collection is out on the 3rd April, I'm really looking forward to it, as I never had a PS2. :D
I don't get the appeal at all. Like what do they do... say something stupid then read the replies while they touch themselves? - Vampyre_Ghost on trolls.
msbhvn 66

Postby Vesica Obscurum » 23 Mar 2012, 00:00

I played Anarchy Reigns at Eurogamer Expo last year. I spent all afternoon playing it. I'm extremely excited about this game.
Vesica Obscurum 30

Postby sonicmark » 23 Mar 2012, 10:00

Decent_Jam wrote:Is Bayonetta worth picking up on the cheap at some point then? Bearing in mind I never got to the end of DMC4 but I did like it.

It's pretty much a complete parralel to Devil May Cry tbh, in DMC, you're stopping demons, in Bayonetta, you're stopping angels, both have similar kinds of humour, both have giant bosses, both have fun and frantic action and wicked combos to pull off.

The story was rather fun in all honesty but as somebody said, the music is a bit repetitve when it doesn't vary in tune much, definitely try picking it up now at a cheap price, Amazon will probably be the cheapest place now, unless you wanna try Game ;).
sonicmark 28