to access exclusive content, comment on articles, win prizes and post on our forums. Not a member yet? Join now!

Ubisoft: WW2, Japan and Egypt are "the three worst settings

Your comments on our articles.

"People on the internet suggest the most boring settings," says creative director

Thanks to Mass Effect 3 and the Devil May Cry reboot, there's been a lot of talk lately about whether fans should have a say on franchise direction. We're generally of the mind that the last word belongs with developers - but we will admit to sticking out our lower lips when Ubisoft's Alex Hutchinson, creative director of Assassin's Creed 3, told us that he'd hate to set an Assassin's Creed game in feudal Japan.... read more

Ubisoft: WW2, Japan and Egypt are "the three worst settings

Postby Bezza89 » 04 Apr 2012, 16:37

Because he's a racist. :shock:

:mrgreen:
It's all in the game...
Bezza89 65

Re: Ubisoft: WW2, Japan and Egypt are "the three worst setti

Postby msbhvn » 04 Apr 2012, 16:42

I bet someone had to follow him around and correct him to say "Native American" instead of Indian, because Indians are from, you know, India. :lol:
I don't get the appeal at all. Like what do they do... say something stupid then read the replies while they touch themselves? - Vampyre_Ghost on trolls.
msbhvn 66

Postby Clanger67 » 04 Apr 2012, 16:44

Maybe Egypt would be fantastic from an aesthetic point of view,like i said in the other mentioned thread.But it is maybe to stretched out for gameplay terms.All the sights in Egypt are pretty far apart with not much in between.Having said that the new AC seems now like that with wilderness etc.
Cry havoc ! and let slip the dogs of war.
Clanger67 60

Postby Bezza89 » 04 Apr 2012, 16:48

Egypt has deserts though, and sandstorms could provide perfect cover, as well as hiding in the sand. I'm more for feudal Japan though, as it has the perfect setting for assassins, and it could have beautiful areas. Could have forests with animals in or something. I think WW2 would be ship though, too much in the way of guns.
It's all in the game...
Bezza89 65

Postby Clanger67 » 04 Apr 2012, 16:54

Good call Bezza with the hiding in the sand etc.Plus they wouldn't have to make it 100% accurate,so they could squeeze it together a bit or put little towns in between landmarks etc.Maybe doing it in Japan though is a bit too much Ninja territory.Eventhough they where assasssins.
Cry havoc ! and let slip the dogs of war.
Clanger67 60

Postby Bezza89 » 04 Apr 2012, 16:58

Clanger67 wrote:Good call Bezza with the hiding in the sand etc.Plus they wouldn't have to make it 100% accurate,so they could squeeze it together a bit or put little towns in between landmarks etc.Maybe doing it in Japan though is a bit too much Ninja territory.Eventhough they where assasssins.

Ninjas and assassins are completely different, cunningsmile might know more, as he has a bit of knowledge in japan fighting or something. I don't know. With Egypt they could have put the timeline at the building of the pyramids too, meaning there would be loads of tents/random stones lying about for cover.
It's all in the game...
Bezza89 65

Postby comabob » 04 Apr 2012, 17:05

The point is there has been stealth/assassin type games already set in Japan.

Tenchu being the obvious ones but even Hitman went there in Hitman 2

To be fair though - i hated the 1st AC, finished the 2nd one but cant remember anything other than way too many missions where all i did was walk with someone. ANd 25hrs in being given the task of collecting flags quickly

I played Brotherhood and again - cant remember anything other spending way too much time in menus either upgrading something that i didnt even use/need or renovating shops or ordering hits on people

Honestly felt like way too much busy work for the sake of busy work. Its just WRONG that in 3 games revolving around supposedly being an assassin - i cant remember assassinating anyone. My memories shouldnt be that of staring at menus.

Have no interest in Revelations and am struggling for enthusiasm for AC3
"The boy said he's from hell. Maybe that's where we're going..."
comabob 52

Postby StreakyMcMeeky » 04 Apr 2012, 17:08

Right so visiting Fuedal Japan would be boring but releasing three games with the same protagonist in the same era with very samey locations was truly ground breaking and outside the box? :?
StreakyMcMeeky 25

Postby glavias » 04 Apr 2012, 18:12

Hmm, how about a reboot completely forget the name Assassin Creed get rid of Desmond and the Animus. Start a new franchise.. I want the Graphics of Assassins Creed set in England.. Call it Robin Hood (free ready made well known franchise, I presume nobody owns the rights to Robin Hood!)

You play as Robin Hood and maybe his men too!, have towns, castles, villages, forests, you could have different types of enemies.. Tax Collectors, Barons, even Templars, Sheriff, Normans with shields, correct me if I am wrong but I don't remember Altair fighting against anybody with a shield in AC1 or Ezio AC2.

Missions
Cue FMV of Normans killing your family as a child just to get you in the mood for some payback. Then your in the dungeon years later, first mission escape the dungeon, get training and then recruit your men.

Rob the tax collectors to help pay villagers back, attack Normans, enter tournaments, hunt deer, help starving villages, don the armour of soldiers, rescue people from the noose, I'm sure someone else probably could do a much better mission list than me..you get the idea!

Robin is a lively spritely character (no armour), who can do everything climb up buildings, use sword, bow, quarterstaff, against enemies with shields, crossbows, and on horseback..

There is a lot of scope for a good action and a smidge of RPG too!.. and as Comabob said spend less time in menus. Still even If one person backs me up on this. I'll still be pleased. :D This post is probably riddled with errors, sorry but I got excited!
glavias 37

Postby Grummy » 04 Apr 2012, 19:11

Why do I think he think they're unworkable? Because he's a dick. I hope to god he gets kicked off the team at some point. WW2 works, its been done in the Saboteur, Feudal Japan works, its been done in Tenchu, and whilst Egypt has not to my knowledge had a specific game of this type, the setting clearly lends itself incredibly well as it would have much in common with a little known franchise called Prince of Persia. This guy just doesn't want to visit previously utilized locales and designs. It's a fair comment, and I'd respect his choice if he came out and said as such. I'd still want him kicked off the team though as this series NEEDS to hit these eras at some point.
One. Warrior. Nation.
Grummy 64
OXM Moderator

Postby Wadium_Arcadium » 04 Apr 2012, 20:22

What an arse.

So he's essentially calling all the series' fans idiots. Nice one buddy.
"The lord of silver fountains, the king of carven stone. The king beneath the mountain shall come into his own. And the bell shall ring in gladness at the mountain king's return, but all shall fail in sadness, and the lake will shine and burn."
Wadium_Arcadium 38

Postby Toots McCleggan » 04 Apr 2012, 21:18

World war two...........who suggested that? Absolute clown shoes deserving of a punch to the cock. Hows about medieval england circa Robin hood era (someone already suggested this good shout) what a conspiracy robin hood was a yorkshire member of the assassins guild controlled by an American ancestor in a computer simulater and the yank may or may not be a vegetable........I'm sold.
Toots McCleggan 15

Postby longliveezio » 04 Apr 2012, 22:07

I personally side with Hutchinson. Main reason being that these time periods are all "stereotypical." Plus we've seen SEVERAL GAMES on these settings already. I mean why create a setting, that's already been created and leave it to fans to critique it to different games and compare? I don't have any problems with India OR the American Revolution setting because as Alex has said, these settings are NEW. Not really touched upon by others. And I commend them for that. It opens up a fresh and new challenge. I'm not saying I wouldn't like to see an assassin in Japan or Egypt, but at the same time they are "common." I mean can you all honestly list off the top of your head any games that have recreated the Third Crusade as well as the Italian Rennaisance? Go ahead. I'll wait. In my mind the only thing that I can come up with is Carmen Sandiego. So in conclusion, I side with Hutchinson on this one 110%.

P.S.
I've communicated with Alex via Facebook. He's a nice guy. One thing that I appreciate about the AC team on Ubisoft is that they REALLY LISTEN TO THEIR FANS. And that is COMMENDABLE.

My message:
"Good luck with AC3 and I as a fan am more than happy to have you as our new Creative Director! Take care. :D "

His response:
"Thanks! We hope you like the game. :D "
longliveezio 2

Postby dtisalive » 04 Apr 2012, 23:03

@longliveezio: +1

Even if Egypt and Japan are unusual, there are a few issues.
With Egypt, historical setting might pose problems. The "Pharaoh-age" is certainly intriguing, but they can't possibly have an assassin before the Hashashins were even created. More so, good luck playing without a hidden blade when every male remained shirtless. The Muhammad Ali or Ottoman era would work, but Revelations does that already.

As epic Feudal Japan sounds as a setting, it'll be tough to avoid samurais and ninjas as characters. That would, according to Ubi (and I agree), conflict with the identity of the Assassins that they've been trying to create.

As for India, it sounds AWESOME. If anyone's skeptical, read through the history of the Mughal rule or the British Raj. Full of conspiracies, a backdrop of ongoing struggles and beautiful cities(Parkour-wise). Every time I saw a "Possible AC Settings" post on a game website, I would list British/Mughal India, Victorian England and Revolution-era France as my top choices.

Yay! So pumped! :D
dtisalive 2

Postby Bezza89 » 04 Apr 2012, 23:21

How can you guys call Egypt or Japan stereotypical choices for settings? I can't name any games that I've played which have either even briefly. Certainly not western, I would assume Japanese games have games set in Japan.
It's all in the game...
Bezza89 65

Next