The Viva Piñata Appreciation Thread...

Playing them, beating them, moaning about them, celebrating them

The Viva Piñata Appreciation Thread...

Postby SidTheSloth » 20 May 2012, 11:57

I know it's old, but i also know there's a lot of love for this around the site - and i'd forgotten just how bloody good it is! I lent it over a year ago to a mate and only got it back last week as i'd done everything and all but one achievement (50 hours). I left it on overnight but despite the fact all my gardens aren't on my hard drive (finding more and more the transfer from my old one doesn't seem to have transferred everything?!) it's still as compelling as ever and have spent half the morning building a new one/playing it despite not wanting to and having a million other things to do!

Highlights so far? Accepting a challenge for two bunnycombs only to realise bastard pretztails have eaten them! God, you can't turn your back for a second! :D

How this was ever considered a kids game i'll never know (well, the cutesy animals and stupid bright colours i expect), so simple a concept but so well executed! I tried to buy the Trouble in Paradise version from Games on Demand as i'm into it again in a big way after these few hours but stupid localisation/licensing laws mean i can't get it from here so it'll have to be an amazon special, which means a few days wait :cry:

Anyone who hasn't played/tried this needs to take a long hard look in the mirror! :wink:
(2 + 4 = Fish) / Sloth = Better
SidTheSloth 54

Re: The Viva Piñata Appreciation Thread...

Postby Bezza89 » 20 May 2012, 12:11

[Looks in mirror] I'm not sure of the purpose of this Sid.
...and if you tell that to the kids of today, they wont believe you!
Bezza89 69

Postby SidTheSloth » 20 May 2012, 12:17

Bezza89 wrote:[Looks in mirror] I'm not sure of the purpose of this Sid.

I noticed you hadn't played it. That's why you are a lost soul who can never make a decision on what to play, you have yet to behold the the greatness of this game and discover which pinata you are! Right now i'd say you are a 'Sour Sherbat' to my 'Roaring Roario' (there are no sloths unfortunately in the first game, the reason i suspect it didn't get 10/10)!

Three, yes three, pinatas died while creating this thread, that'll teach me to pay attention! Only a sparrowmint and two whirlms though, plenty more where they came from, bloody dastardly! :wink:
SidTheSloth 54

Postby Plamsa wing » 20 May 2012, 13:55

Springwatch will be on in a week, that'll be the time for me to put this beauty in the disc tray. It's sort of become a tradition ever since I bought it on the Xbox 360. Still have to do the PC version as well.

I've been playing the DS version at work and when i'm in bed, my bunnycombs were eaten by those bloody pretztails, I had four they ate the parents first and after I sold them two more popped up and ate the children.

If anyone hasn't bought it yet and are looking for something "new" and creative then buy this game now. It's one of the best exclusives (kinda) on the 360.
I spilled flour in my uncle's kitchen, now I've got a croissant.
Plamsa wing 57

Postby SidTheSloth » 20 May 2012, 15:30

Have you played the sequel Plasma? We talked about it in another thread not long ago and Kernow/Cunning both said it was very much worth it if you liked the original! Just ordered it from amazon for £13 which is not to be sniffed at. If i'd known back in the day i'd have bought it at release, sorry Rare, please make something as good as this next and stop making kinect shovelware :cry:
SidTheSloth 54

Postby Plamsa wing » 20 May 2012, 16:23

I've played it. The last time I played it my garden was full of weeds. Too much trouble to get rid of them all so I'll have to start again.
I spilled flour in my uncle's kitchen, now I've got a croissant.
Plamsa wing 57

Postby golliwoza » 20 May 2012, 16:31

I loved the first game, I even got the special edition with the free cartoon and funny looking case.

I really need to go back and revisit it as well as pick up the new game but I always have an issue with sim/builder games. I get bored or I have a sudden change of idea halfway through, and I then decide to create a new garden and sell most of my other stuff.

Still I could make another fresh new start and play it again soon, I just need to stop all the worms inbreeding with each other. :lol:
Where we are going we wont need eyes to see.
golliwoza 56

Postby schwepterbrowser » 20 May 2012, 19:00

I loved the first game, but didn't play the sequel either. I actually just bought the PC version yesterday for £1.99!
schwepterbrowser 58

Postby CunningSmile » 21 May 2012, 13:11

The sequel is great, but be warned it's as much as 1.5 as it is a true sequel. Extra Pinatas, new terrain but largely the samegame as the first polished within an inch of it's life.

I really need to replay this as I'm a huge fan but lost all my progress last year when MS locked me out my profile and I had to start a new one.

Why Rare aren't making a third escapes me. If nothing else it's surely tailor made for Kinect control?
A Tweet is like an episode of Game of Thrones; there are 140 characters and something awful usually happens
CunningSmile 74
OXM Moderator

Postby SidTheSloth » 21 May 2012, 13:12

Plamsa wing wrote:I've been playing the DS version at work and when i'm in bed, my bunnycombs were eaten by those bloody pretztails

Are the bunnycombs the stupidest pinata or what? They seem intelligent but i've had more of them eaten by pretztails than all of the others combined i think! The bill for carrotts in replacing them is ridiculous! :wink:

schwepterbrowser wrote:I loved the first game, but didn't play the sequel either. I actually just bought the PC version yesterday for £1.99!
:shock: Wow... Where from dude? GFWL? That's an insane bargain!

Really hoping i like the sequel as much as the original! I've hidden my original version at the bottom of the games pile now i've got 100% to stop me playing it or else the novelty won't be there!

golliwoza wrote:I loved the first game, I even got the special edition with the free cartoon and funny looking case.

I got that case too, seemed like a good idea at the time, now i just find it really annoying! :D
SidTheSloth 54

Postby SidTheSloth » 21 May 2012, 13:14

CunningSmile wrote:The sequel is great, but be warned it's as much as 1.5 as it is a true sequel. Extra Pinatas, new terrain but largely the samegame as the first polished within an inch of it's life.

I really need to replay this as I'm a huge fan but lost all my progress last year when MS locked me out my profile and I had to start a new one.

Why Rare aren't making a third escapes me. If nothing else it's surely tailor made for Kinect control?

Is there a sloth? Is there a sloth? :D

Seriously, i thought i had it bad losing my gardens, would be wounded to have lost all the coins and shovel stuff too!

This is actually one game where i don't mind more of the same, the fact i haven't played it in years also helps and will stop me lusting after the somewhat more expensive Max Payne!

Did make me laugh though the other day when i realised i'd gone from Dark Souls straight to VP - chalk and cheese! :mrgreen:
SidTheSloth 54

Postby CunningSmile » 21 May 2012, 13:25

SidTheSloth wrote:
CunningSmile wrote:The sequel is great, but be warned it's as much as 1.5 as it is a true sequel. Extra Pinatas, new terrain but largely the samegame as the first polished within an inch of it's life.

Is there a sloth? Is there a sloth? :D

Seriously, i thought i had it bad losing my gardens, would be wounded to have lost all the coins and shovel stuff too!

This is actually one game where i don't mind more of the same, the fact i haven't played it in years also helps and will stop me lusting after the somewhat more expensive Max Payne!

Did make me laugh though the other day when i realised i'd gone from Dark Souls straight to VP - chalk and cheese! :mrgreen:

I lost more than just my saved games. I had to start again on my Gamerscore, couldn't access any downloaded games or Avatar gear and even lost my Gamer Tag which I'd had since the original Xbox. Really wasn't a happy bunny.
A Tweet is like an episode of Game of Thrones; there are 140 characters and something awful usually happens
CunningSmile 74
OXM Moderator

Postby SidTheSloth » 21 May 2012, 13:37

CunningSmile wrote:I lost more than just my saved games. I had to start again on my Gamerscore, couldn't access any downloaded games or Avatar gear and even lost my Gamer Tag which I'd had since the original Xbox. Really wasn't a happy bunny.

Hmm, they did the same to me with my current account, it was suspended and i couldn't get to the bottom of why and i had to have a new one, i was livid at the time so i can well imagine you are/were!

Got to the bottom of it a few months down the line when they mailed me it had all been over an expired credit card being the default card on the account. Rather than just reverting to silver the entire account was locked! Stil a bit crap that i can't transfer the GS from my 'temporary' (used it for just over a year so hardly temporary!) one i used into my current profile, but i know the truth!!

Don't suppose yours will be as simple (he says angrily) as that though :cry:
SidTheSloth 54

Postby schwepterbrowser » 21 May 2012, 15:08

SidTheSloth wrote:
schwepterbrowser wrote:I loved the first game, but didn't play the sequel either. I actually just bought the PC version yesterday for £1.99!
:shock: Wow... Where from dude? GFWL? That's an insane bargain!

New and sealed from The Game Collection's eBay outlet: Click Here

But there's only one left in stock...

If that one sells, there are a few others for around the £2/3 mark on there and it only costs £3.95 on the Game Collection site anyway: Click Here
schwepterbrowser 58

Postby SidTheSloth » 21 May 2012, 17:21

Ah, cheers dude, thought you were talking digital (i.e. immediate download!) and meant the sequel! :D But still a bargain even then!
SidTheSloth 54

Next