to join the Xbox community. Not a member yet? Join now!

Dragon's Dogma

Playing them, beating them, moaning about them, celebrating them

Dragon's Dogma

Postby Grummy » 21 May 2012, 20:58

Out on Friday, got my pre-order in with guaranteed 1 day delivery (for free), so I'm just a wondering who else is getting this Friday, and particularly, what pawns you're making. If we have a good variety available around here, it could help if we just used each others. I'LL SHOW YOU MINE IF YOU SHOW ME YOURS!!!

PAWN LIST

GT: Grumftheld
Name: Jesiah
Vocation: Mage

GT: Bezza89
Name: Mitch Davis
Vocation: Sorcerer

GT= Kronk10
Name= snizzle
Vocation= sorcerer

GT: SidTheSloth2912
Name: Penthesilea
Vocation: Warrior

GT: ImmaturityRules
Name: Eveigne
Vocation: Fighter

GT: sabre wing2
Name: Etoile
Vocation: Fighter

GT: CLANGER67
Name: Cassis
Vocation: Warrior

GT: mungomajik
Name: Flowerface

GT: Geois
Name: Penny

GT - MaverickMcCool
Pawn - Thunderhead
Vocation - Fighter

Gamertag : DGR1980
Pawn : Kela
Pawn Class : Mage currently
Last edited by Grummy on 30 Jun 2012, 19:33, edited 12 times in total.
One. Warrior. Nation.
Grummy 66
OXM Moderator

Re: Dragon's Dogma

Postby Clanger67 » 21 May 2012, 21:04

Mine is awaiting dispatch,since about four,so i reckon they might send it either tomorrow or wed.Really looking forward to it,loved the demo.Shame it will drag me away from Max.

Will be fighter for me all the way to start with.Probably make a strider and mage.
Cry havoc ! and let slip the dogs of war.
Clanger67 60

Postby Grummy » 21 May 2012, 21:20

I think what I might do if we get enough traffic here is update my first post with Gamertags and there pawns details so we can easily find them in game.
One. Warrior. Nation.
Grummy 66
OXM Moderator

Postby SidTheSloth » 21 May 2012, 21:23

Mine's on order, i know they won't have it to me on friday unfortunately but im really hoping it gets here on saturday as it's a bank holiday here on monday so i'd get a full three days to investigate!

As per any other RPG my character will be full mage to begin so it's incredibly likely my pawn'll be a strider/warrior/tank dude depending on the options available. Not very exciting for you guys if you want to borrow him but there you go!

One alternate thing i am entertaining is i reckon a lot of people will make decent tank pawns and it'll be archers and the like it'll be hard to get hold of, so thinking i might download a melee guy and build my own archer so he's exactly what i want? Hmm...

EDIT: Just seen your second post Grummy - think that's a great idea. That's my only concern about the pawns is having to sift through them, hoping they have some good filtering options, but i prefer the idea of taking forum guys pawns into battle instead of randoms, at least then i know where to shout when they let me down (of course it won't be t'other way around!)
(2 + 4 = Fish) / Sloth = Better
SidTheSloth 53

Postby schwepterbrowser » 21 May 2012, 21:49

Still undecided as to whether I'm getting this Friday. I want it and have the spare money, but really don't need it with my retardedly huge and ever growing backlog of games.

My pawn will be a mage, not sure what type as I'm unsure of the abilities available. I'd usually play a mage myself, but can't pass up playing a ranger and being able to climb things.
schwepterbrowser 56

Postby SidTheSloth » 21 May 2012, 22:17

schwepterbrowser wrote:Still undecided as to whether I'm getting this Friday. I want it and have the spare money, but really don't need it with my retardedly huge and ever growing backlog of games.

I was in the same quandary but it looks like two full barrels of awesome and if it helps you can use the justification you're supporting a new IP! :wink: I know what you mean about the backlog though, i have to shout at myself when i find i'm rushing through games just to get onto the next one! Suppose the simple solution is stop buying the things but where's the fun in that? :D This is the last one for me for a while though luckily!

My pawn will be a mage, not sure what type as I'm unsure of the abilities available. I'd usually play a mage myself, but can't pass up playing a ranger and being able to climb things.[/quote]

Climbing? Goood. Telekinesis floating thing Matt did in his first video? Gooooooooooood.

I can climb on animals in real life (not that i condone or even recommend it!), but can i float? :wink:
SidTheSloth 53

Postby Grummy » 21 May 2012, 23:02

My pawn is a mage, but I was thinking of specializing in heals and buffs with her (if possible) so I'm toying with the idea of a 2 mage/2 fighter or 2 mage/fighter/archer group.
One. Warrior. Nation.
Grummy 66
OXM Moderator

Postby SidTheSloth » 22 May 2012, 00:09

Grummy wrote:My pawn is a mage, but I was thinking of specializing in heals and buffs with her (if possible) so I'm toying with the idea of a 2 mage/2 fighter or 2 mage/fighter/archer group.

I wondered about healing... I'm normally loathe to let AI handle healing as it's usually shite at it, but Matt's videos suggested the healer was in fact very good and efficient. If you go down that route i reckon i'll definitely be up for a trial as i think trying to make my main character mage both offensive and defensive will compromise the build somewhat....?

I'm curious about the hybrid classes though, think Matt said they're the most useful overall? Can you change the pawn class like you can your main character too?

I'm not sure how far into the game it will be until you can get 2nd/3rd pawns so i'll have to go with a melee fighter of some ilk for mine or i suspect i'll get overwhelmed. With my pawn being melee/tank, another pawn as the healer, my dude being offensive magic and backup heal and the last dude being maybe a hybrid fighter/archer i think i have a plan :D

Hmm, or then maybe my pawn should be the hybrid so he's how i want him, surely standard warrior pawns will be ten-a-penny? :?
SidTheSloth 53

Postby Grummy » 22 May 2012, 01:05

SidTheSloth wrote:
Grummy wrote:My pawn is a mage, but I was thinking of specializing in heals and buffs with her (if possible) so I'm toying with the idea of a 2 mage/2 fighter or 2 mage/fighter/archer group.

I wondered about healing... I'm normally loathe to let AI handle healing as it's usually shite at it, but Matt's videos suggested the healer was in fact very good and efficient. If you go down that route i reckon i'll definitely be up for a trial as i think trying to make my main character mage both offensive and defensive will compromise the build somewhat....?

I'm curious about the hybrid classes though, think Matt said they're the most useful overall? Can you change the pawn class like you can your main character too?

I'm not sure how far into the game it will be until you can get 2nd/3rd pawns so i'll have to go with a melee fighter of some ilk for mine or i suspect i'll get overwhelmed. With my pawn being melee/tank, another pawn as the healer, my dude being offensive magic and backup heal and the last dude being maybe a hybrid fighter/archer i think i have a plan :D

Hmm, or then maybe my pawn should be the hybrid so he's how i want him, surely standard warrior pawns will be ten-a-penny? :?

From Matt's videos, it would seem that the key to good pawns is in how they're built and equipped. It sounds incredibly obvious, but it seems like it makes a very real difference here. In games like Dragon Age, you can get by with not really specializing your party too much, not worrying about getting them kitted out perfectly or assigning the perfect skills, in this though, the amount of diversity in the character builds screams at you the necessity of building the perfect pawn, and taking time to study hard what your team needs and finding the right pawns to fill those gaps. Yeah, there could (and likely will) be hundreds and thousands of each basic archetype, but how many will be crap? How many will be good but not right for your team? And its not just skills and equipment, its in how knowledgeable each pawn is as well, sometimes a great pawn may need to be dropped in favour of an inferior one because the inferior one has the experience you need for a quest or battle. Imagine for a moment that you get stuck on a quest, keep getting lost or dying, so you go to a rift and find a pawn that has done this quest you are on and boom, done, you now have a guide to help you through. So much potential.
One. Warrior. Nation.
Grummy 66
OXM Moderator

Postby SidTheSloth » 22 May 2012, 08:15

Grummy wrote:From Matt's videos, it would seem that the key to good pawns is in how they're built and equipped. It sounds incredibly obvious, but it seems like it makes a very real difference here. In games like Dragon Age, you can get by with not really specializing your party too much, not worrying about getting them kitted out perfectly or assigning the perfect skills, in this though, the amount of diversity in the character builds screams at you the necessity of building the perfect pawn, and taking time to study hard what your team needs and finding the right pawns to fill those gaps. Yeah, there could (and likely will) be hundreds and thousands of each basic archetype, but how many will be crap? How many will be good but not right for your team? And its not just skills and equipment, its in how knowledgeable each pawn is as well, sometimes a great pawn may need to be dropped in favour of an inferior one because the inferior one has the experience you need for a quest or battle. Imagine for a moment that you get stuck on a quest, keep getting lost or dying, so you go to a rift and find a pawn that has done this quest you are on and boom, done, you now have a guide to help you through. So much potential.

Yep, and this for me - and i suspect you too - is one of the most fascinating/exciting aspects of the whole game. I was going to say i can't remember the last time i was this excited for a new RPG but then remembered Skyrim - the answer to every RPG question nowadays seems to be Skyrim! :wink:

I agree that it certainly seems like they're encouraging the rotation of your pawns which i've no doubt really adds to it, i hate changing party members in traditional RPG's so it's going to be interesting using them in an almost disposable fashion!

Do i remember seeing one of Matt's die in a video and he was then forced on without that particular pawn? Does that mean you can't revive the downloaded ones (just thinking out loud here)? I hope that's the case as it'll stop you thinking of them as cannon fodder too, a bit like i do my squadmates in rainbow six or games of that ilk! The possibilities do seem endless as you allude to, the fact that two pawns of the same class can be so very different also adds another layer. I'm considering a three pronged mage team might be useful too, one pure mage, one battle/archer and one healing - the more of that awesome looking magic i can unleash the better - although undoubtedly there'll be things that impervious so there's the deterrent!

Christ, like i said, haven't been this excited about an RPG in ages...!
SidTheSloth 53

Postby scotty » 22 May 2012, 09:03

My copy is pre-ordered from Zavvi, but knowing them I won't receive it until Tues/Weds next week... so I'll more than likely be way behind you guys n gals.
scotty 51

Postby SidTheSloth » 22 May 2012, 09:41

scotty wrote:My copy is pre-ordered from Zavvi, but knowing them I won't receive it until Tues/Weds next week... so I'll more than likely be way behind you guys n gals.

Think Clanger uses them and he always gets his early, think he even said his DD is 'awaiting dispatch' now - he must just be a jammy git!

If you dont get it straight away, silver lining is there'll be more pawns available that have seen a lot more too so more helpful! :)

Yet another thing that intrigues me is there must be some sort of 'cost' when hiring pawns to stop you getting the top level ones straight away, matt said money is limited, so if they die you could potentially not have enough to replace - making the game much harder? Would lead me to believe its not currency related for hiring but some random loot type, rift crystals or something! :)
SidTheSloth 53

Postby Clanger67 » 22 May 2012, 10:29

:lol: The Jammy git is here.Zavvi dispatched mine at 9.20am.So might even get it tomorrow,Max only took a day.Maybe it is because i am quite regional to them.Anyway wanted to mention,hope i am not at an advantage over you lot.Zavvi give you three lots of dlc one is so you can get better pawns straight away by giving you 2000 extra rift crystals.Plus some advantage at a shop you get to as well as a better weapon and armour to standard.
Cry havoc ! and let slip the dogs of war.
Clanger67 60

Postby SidTheSloth » 22 May 2012, 11:29

Are they really called rift crystals? That was a lucky (but admittedly not a huge stretch of a) guess!?

Clanger - do i recall you saying you're not currently a gold subscriber? Only asking because im curious how the online part of this'll work without gold. I think it'd be really harsh if silvers weren't allowed to trade pawns but just wonder with MS normally being so tight with rules etc.
SidTheSloth 53

Postby Plamsa wing » 22 May 2012, 11:33

My Pawn will be the best of course. Your's shall be nought but a fly in comparison.

Judging by the e-mail I got this morning I should have mine tomorrow from shopto, although I hope it comes today.
The bitterns are doing it for me.
Plamsa wing 56

Next