to access exclusive content, comment on articles, win prizes and post on our forums. Not a member yet? Join now!

Splinter Cell: Blacklist - why Michael Ironside is no longer

Your comments on our articles.

"We're combining face, body and voice," says Ubisoft

If you've been watching the Splinter Cell: Blacklist gameplay video that debuted at Microsoft's conference today, you've probably noticed that Sam Fisher's gravelly tones are no longer provided by Michael Ironside, the actor who has voiced him since the first game. Why?... read more

Splinter Cell: Blacklist - why Michael Ironside is no longer

Postby JOEuk91 » 05 Jun 2012, 13:46

What a load of lies, they could have easily done the body motion capture and add Ironside's afterwards, but that's just it, as they said in the video this way is alot easier. Somehow I don't think using this new method is worth losing the very thing that made the character, especially since the characters don't even look any different to Conviction. The way I see it is Ironside was dumped in favour of a new, mainstream-friendly younger action hero character and action gameplay. Not only does Sam sound different, he even has a different face, couple that with the game completely straying away from its dark stealth roots, and you have a completely trashed franchise.

So what I'm basically trying to say is Splinter Cell is dead, f*ck you Ubisoft, sell out accomplished.
JOEuk91 39

Re: Splinter Cell: Blacklist - why Michael Ironside is no lo

Postby Spiderless » 05 Jun 2012, 15:23

If they could bring back some of Chaos-Theory-Fisher's dark humour I might be able to forgive the change of voice actor.

Would also be nice to see some flippin' stealth in there too.
Spiderless 25

Postby scjh » 05 Jun 2012, 19:16

Ok i can just about get over the loss of the mighty Ironside, though the reason given seems a load of BS, but on the condition the game goes back to what mad it unique and fun, Conviction was ok but not a touch on the first 3 and well still not as good as double agent simply because it wasnt really a splinter cell game, ah well its probably wishful thinking that they return to the way things were when it was one of my faviourite games instead of Ubisoft whoring itself to the poor idea of a bigger market. Shame as they have stuck to their values generally with GRAW: FS and Rainbow 6 franchise, ah well i will always have the old games to enjoy...
scjh 13

Postby nugget » 15 Jun 2012, 19:04

splinter cell is my favourite game of all time. everytime a new one comes out i buy it read the manual to see what new gadgets you get. (or in convictions case lack of) then start playing and when i hear that familiar voice of sam fisher its like im greeted by an old friend. now all thats changed to impress the mainstream gamers who play the same games all the time its bad enough convictions changed the gameplay style but it seems they have changed sams entire identity.
nugget 1

Postby locsphere » 31 Jan 2013, 00:14

Could you at least give players an ability to select Micheal Ironsides voice and deal with the less than perfect voice syncing? I would much rather have that than no Ironsides. I mean it destroys the illusion that its the same character. I hate character switches no matter what. If I can't have Ironsides voice then it is not Sam Fisher and they just should have killed him off in Conviction. I will not be buying this game. Its just going to be another Bourne Game or another Alpha Protocol. Without Ironsides there is no point at all. The industry just seems to like forcing bad decisions down our throats these days. EA Capcom, BioWare, Etc, now Ubisoft.... Hope some new independent game companies that actually listen to fans start popping up. This big corporation thing that try's to appeal to the maximum audience for maximum dollar while ignoring what fans of the series is really starting to piss me off . :x But hey! ITS EASIER AND CHEAPER!
locsphere 3

Postby FishyGinger » 31 Jan 2013, 10:03

The whole game, series and developer are sh*t because they didn't have one (admittedly good) voice? Nice to see everyone is calm and collected....
I have given pleasure to the world because I have such a beautiful ass.
FishyGinger 66

Postby CunningSmile » 31 Jan 2013, 10:43

FishyGinger wrote:The whole game, series and developer are sh*t because they didn't have one (admittedly good) voice? Nice to see everyone is calm and collected....

He's in on it!!! Quick get the big business collaborator!!! :lol:
What do you get when you cross a joke with a rhetorical question?
CunningSmile 68
OXM Moderator

Postby FishyGinger » 31 Jan 2013, 11:23

I'm merely hinting that Michael Ironside almost always loses his limbs because he's just so careless, how many arms has he lost already? And Sam Fisher...not lost a single one. I can see why he was axed because he really isn't putting everything into it.

It's like a game where Sean Bean doesn't die...
FishyGinger 66

Postby CunningSmile » 31 Jan 2013, 12:26

FishyGinger wrote:I'm merely hinting that Michael Ironside almost always loses his limbs because he's just so careless, how many arms has he lost already? And Sam Fisher...not lost a single one. I can see why he was axed because he really isn't putting everything into it.

It's like a game where Sean Bean doesn't die...

:lol: I know people who thought Sean Bean's casting in Game of Thrones was a spoiler in itself
What do you get when you cross a joke with a rhetorical question?
CunningSmile 68
OXM Moderator

Postby FishyGinger » 31 Jan 2013, 13:17

I know...a fight between Beanie and Ironmeister could only ever end one way.

FishyGinger 66