to access exclusive content, comment on articles, win prizes and post on our forums. Not a member yet? Join now!

Books that would make great games.

Playing them, beating them, moaning about them, celebrating them

Books that would make great games.

Postby Maverick_McCool » 12 Jun 2012, 13:26

In light of the recent success of book to game crossovers such as The Witcher and Metro 2033 , Iv'e been thinking alot recently about other Books that would make great games.

I know there are quite alot of well read chaps and chapettes on this site ( Looking at you Cunning ) so I'd love to hear your ideas , if for no other reason than that I need some new reading material.

I'll start us of :

The Ketty Jay novels - Chris wooding - I see this turning out as a cross between Gears of War and Crimson Skies , a world full of shootouts and dogfighting among the sky pirates of Vardia.

Death's Head - David Gunn - Not exactly sophisticated this one , the book basically reads like an 80/90's action flick. But the main character Sven is probably on of the most bad-ass I've ever come accross , kind of like across between Riddick and Wolverine! Oh , and he has a talking gun with a severe attitude problem.

The Vampire World Trilogy - Brian Lumley - I could include the whole Necroscope series as reading material for any horror fan , but the Vampire world novels would translate the best to game as they are more action orientated , plus they feature the most vicious awesome vampires ever created.

I'll leave the rest to you.........
I used to make arrow in the knee jokes , then Arm Fall Off Boy kicked me in the balls....... Come on Boon , quit teasing us with DLC characters we don't want , give us Arm Fall Off Boy dammit! Or at least give us Detective Chimp........
Maverick_McCool 45

Re: Books that would make great games.

Postby Bezza89 » 12 Jun 2012, 13:40

I kind of read a lot different to what I play, same with films. I love reading mysteries/conspiracies in books - Sir Arthur Conan Doyles Sherlock Holmes stories, Ayn Rand (a bitch to read), Raymond Khoury (he's lost his way in his recent books, but Last Templar and Sanctuary are top notch, the templar one better than Dan Brown imo).

So I would say a decent interpretation of Sherlock Holmes - he's accepted by the masses too atm with BBCs series and Guy Ritchies films. Get some decent calibre behind it (I'm aware there are some terrible current SH games) - Old Skool BioWare/Rockstar Games - and there is a great opportunity for interesting storytelling and gameplay. Less LA Noire, more Biowarey characterisations of possible villains, loads of small mysteries intertwined with the arch nemesis Moriarty as the overarching plotline. But R* attention to detail etc.

Either that or a decent LotR game.
It's all in the game...
Bezza89 65

Postby Clanger67 » 12 Jun 2012, 13:51

Being a big comic book fan and the drove of uninspiring games that have been released for super heroes etc.Given that now we seem to be on the right track with Batman and the new Spiderman looking pretty good.I wouldn't mind a game based on my childhood hero Judge Dredd.Given the tech. now you could have a decent third/first person along the lines of GTA,where you police Mega city.Plus add in some off his arch villian rivals like Judge death etc. for bosses.Plenty off missions,side missions as the norm.plenty off random encounters where you have to save civvies,etc.Plus driving around on his bad ass bike.A gun with different settings,firing around corners etc.

Hope it counts being a comic book first rather than a novel. :)
Cry havoc ! and let slip the dogs of war.
Clanger67 60

Postby Maverick_McCool » 12 Jun 2012, 14:02

A R* powered Sherlock Holmes would be pretty special , and feel free to list Comics here as well Clanger , I can't recall there ever being a decent Dredd game despite it being almost tailor made for it. Although I seem to remember there being a decent Rouge Trooper game at some point.
I used to make arrow in the knee jokes , then Arm Fall Off Boy kicked me in the balls....... Come on Boon , quit teasing us with DLC characters we don't want , give us Arm Fall Off Boy dammit! Or at least give us Detective Chimp........
Maverick_McCool 45

Postby CunningSmile » 12 Jun 2012, 14:10

Haven't read Death's Head or Ketty Jay so thanks for the recommendations.

I've recently reread Neuromancer, the godfather of Cyberpunk, and couldn't help wanting it as a really good RPG. The genre's back in fashion at the moment with Deus Ex and the Witcher devs announcing their own take on it coming soon, but I'd like to see a nice old fashioned RPG where you get to wander the big mean city following up on shadey deals and corporate conspiracies whilst shaping your character into the hacker/street samurai/corporate spy of your liking.

I'd also like to see (and recommend reading) the Night Angel trilogy by Brent Weeks. It's about a young boy in the most depressingly grim fantasy city ever who gets adopted by the top assassin leading to a plot full of political in fighting, invasions, coups, child abuse, rape, incest and murder. Think a blend of Thief, Assassin's Creed and Witcher and you're about right.
I miss my care free youth when my biggest concern was where to hide the latest body
CunningSmile 68
OXM Moderator

Postby Plamsa wing » 12 Jun 2012, 14:15

The Colour of Magic by Terry Pratchett - I can it see being a Fable like RPG only better.
"Hey! Don't lob factual statements at me as if they're insults!"
Plamsa wing 54

Postby OXM ETboy » 12 Jun 2012, 14:38

I'd love to play a videogame version of Robin Hobb's Farseer series. Fantastic, grounded dynastic dramas - among the best fantasy novels I've ever read. Also: CD Projekt should adapt China Mieville's New Crobuzon books, because there is literally no end to the awesome.
OXM ETboy
OXM Staff

Postby Maverick_McCool » 12 Jun 2012, 14:56

Weird , a quick wikki search for "Farseer" brings up a completely different set of books by a different author! All talking T-Rexs and stuff. I think I prefer the sound of your one ( only just mind , playing as T-Rex would be pretty cool ).

Plasma - a fable styled Discworld would be cool , It's possible as well seeing as Terry Pratchett's daughter Rhianna wrote the script for Overworld 2.

Just keep Molingnadgers well away though.
Maverick_McCool 45

Postby CunningSmile » 12 Jun 2012, 16:03

They did do a couple of really good Discworld point and clicks on the PC. Discworld Noir in particular was a great send up of The Maltese Falcon with Ankh-Morpork's only private detective and I've wanted a sequel in either game or book ever since. There's a City Watch TV show in development (jokingly referred to as CSI:Ankh Morpork) so we might start seeing some more tie-in media in the future.
I miss my care free youth when my biggest concern was where to hide the latest body
CunningSmile 68
OXM Moderator

Postby Plamsa wing » 12 Jun 2012, 16:10

Maverick_McCool wrote:Plasma - a fable styled Discworld would be cool , It's possible as well seeing as Terry Pratchett's daughter Rhianna wrote the script for Overworld 2.

She did? I actually quite liked the both Overlord games, I do recommened people to try them or at least the first.

Might be a bit of a stretch but Firefly has a comic series. An RPG perhaps? Where the player has his/her own ship and crew?

Damn it I want another series.

CunningSmile wrote:They did do a couple of really good Discworld point and clicks on the PC. Discworld Noir in particular was a great send up of The Maltese Falcon with Ankh-Morpork's only private detective and I've wanted a sequel in either game or book ever since. There's a City Watch TV show in development (jokingly referred to as CSI:Ankh Morpork) so we might start seeing some more tie-in media in the future.

Aren't they doing a Unseen Academicals adaptation for Sky 1?
"Hey! Don't lob factual statements at me as if they're insults!"
Plamsa wing 54

Postby CunningSmile » 12 Jun 2012, 16:15

Plamsa wing wrote:Might be a bit of a stretch but Firefly has a comic series. An RPG perhaps? Where the player has his/her own ship and crew?

Me too :(

Firefly game would be awesome, maybe in a similar vein to Knights of the Old Republic with a really solid storyline and a crew of 7 or 8 individuals with their own backstories and motivations.

And Yes I believe Sky are doing another of their (usually quite good) adaptations, but for some reason I'm more excited about the City Watch series of original stories set in the Disc World universe. Not sure why.
CunningSmile 68
OXM Moderator

Postby Grummy » 12 Jun 2012, 16:56

Plamsa wing wrote:
Maverick_McCool wrote:Plasma - a fable styled Discworld would be cool , It's possible as well seeing as Terry Pratchett's daughter Rhianna wrote the script for Overworld 2.

She did? I actually quite liked the both Overlord games, I do recommened people to try them or at least the first.

Might be a bit of a stretch but Firefly has a comic series. An RPG perhaps? Where the player has his/her own ship and crew?

CunningSmile wrote:They did do a couple of really good Discworld point and clicks on the PC. Discworld Noir in particular was a great send up of The Maltese Falcon with Ankh-Morpork's only private detective and I've wanted a sequel in either game or book ever since. There's a City Watch TV show in development (jokingly referred to as CSI:Ankh Morpork) so we might start seeing some more tie-in media in the future.

Aren't they doing a Unseen Academicals adaptation for Sky 1?

Unseen Academicals is being made by the same putz who made the other very hit and miss adaptations. CSI Ankh Morpork is being developed in the states for some reason, probably because UK TV stations don't dare spend any real money on anything that isn't a soap opera.
One. Warrior. Nation.
Grummy 64
OXM Moderator

Postby Bezza89 » 12 Jun 2012, 17:00

If anyone is interested that Hit and Miss was filmed outside my house, literally, they asked to use the inside of our house and came round it but never did for some reason. Never watched it though. Fun fact there.
It's all in the game...
Bezza89 65

Postby Clanger67 » 10 Aug 2012, 14:40

I wonder if i might get my dream come true in a Judge Dredd game.I know there has been no mention of one,that i know of.Given the new film is out next month,at least it wouldn't be a movie tie in,and could see the new film sparking some interest in it.Just hope not for the wrong reasons.
Cry havoc ! and let slip the dogs of war.
Clanger67 60

Postby CunningSmile » 10 Aug 2012, 15:00

Clanger67 wrote:I wonder if i might get my dream come true in a Judge Dredd game.I know there has been no mention of one,that i know of.Given the new film is out next month,at least it wouldn't be a movie tie in,and could see the new film sparking some interest in it.Just hope not for the wrong reasons.

The new film is looking surprisingly good but the fact it's a fairly low budget (about $45m according to Empire) mostly British indie makes me think that any sort of spin media will be unlikely, and it'll go straight to DVD in the States. Alex Garland is writing though and the fact he has a track record of scripting games and has ideas for a Dredd trilogy if the first film is successful means there may be hope for the future.
CunningSmile 68
OXM Moderator

Next