to access exclusive content, comment on articles, win prizes and post on our forums. Not a member yet? Join now!

Dead Space 3

Playing them, beating them, moaning about them, celebrating them

Dead Space 3

Postby baggieal » 07 Jul 2012, 22:24

From what ive seen and read so far im worried, and slightly annoyed as well tbh.

The original Dead Space was superb, one of the best horror games ive played in a long time, number two wasnt a bad game, it wasnt a excellent game, it was just good which isnt necarsailly a bad thing at all but you could see tiny things creeping in that were changing the scope of the game, more ammo, bigger areas, the story not really advancing as much as it could do and lots not even mention the multiplayer...

And now with this third one its like EA have thought, you know what? F**k it, lets not be a horror game anymore, lets be the big shoot them up that 90% of games seem to be these days and lets add co-op just for the hell of it.

It just doesnt look like a Dead Space game at all, yet again youve got EA changing things that dont need to be changed just for the simple thing of making it a more mainstream game and trying to get more money into the EA piggy bank :roll:

Hence the annoyed feelings, there is no need to change it the way they are doing, theyve got a lot of work on their hands to convince fans of the series like me that this is going in the right direction, Dead Space is meant to be a horror game, not a bloody Resi Evil 5 style co-op shoot em up FFS.
Twitter- @baggieal
Gamertag- baggieal
baggieal 19
 
Posts: 36
Joined: 14 Jun 2012, 15:06
Location: United Kingdom

Re: Dead Space 3

Postby Grummy » 07 Jul 2012, 23:18

“When you are six hours into playing Battlefield and you run out of ammo in your clip and we ask you for a dollar to reload, you’re really not that price sensitive at that point in time. So essentially what ends up happening, and the reason the play-first, pay-later model works nicely, is a consumer gets engaged in a property. They may spend ten, twenty, thirty, fifty hours in a game. And then, when they’re deep into a game, they’re well invested in it. At that point in time the commitment can be pretty high. It’s a great model and it represents a substantially better future for the industry.”

This is a quote from EA CEO John Riccitiello, he was talking recently about the future of games being based on the free to pay model (in a nutshell, you get the barebones game for free, but have to pay for any additional content to play the game-not talking about DLC, he means literally buying weapons, ammo in shooters, more enemies in RPG's, things like that). His first sentence there is the real give away. Are you really surprised that EA are putting profit margins before creativity?

As a rule, I defend the games industry for its money making tactics, as they tend to be justifiable and not too outrageous, but EA are singlehandedly destroying any possible reason I could have to defend them. Their desire to butt f**k us all with diamond encrusted dildos bought with our idiot money is becoming far too blatant. As I've said elsewhere, I don't really care about EA games anymore, and the ones I play, I'll make a point of buying 2nd hand on principle.
One. Warrior. Nation.
User avatar
Grummy 64
OXM Moderator
 
Posts: 8433
Joined: 06 Jun 2007, 19:36
Location: United Kingdom

Re: Dead Space 3

Postby STE MO » 08 Jul 2012, 00:26

It's not really surprising, you just have to look at how much Mass Effect has changed. First one was, for me the best, great RPG elements, great guns and attachments and great story. Mass Effect 2 story was a bit meh, guns and armour had changed and it had a more 3rd person shooter feel with team mates. Mass Effect 3 I think got lost some where in the middle of an RPG and a 3rd person shooter. Whilst it was better then ME2 it isn't a patch on ME1. EA seem to going for the money, and who could blame them, that's what their job is. But to change the personality of a game is......well infuriating :x

I don't think Dead Space 3 will be hitting my Xbox until its in asda's 2 for £25.
STE MO 50
 
Posts: 748
Joined: 06 Feb 2010, 10:14

Re: Dead Space 3

Postby baggieal » 08 Jul 2012, 15:16

Grummy wrote:“When you are six hours into playing Battlefield and you run out of ammo in your clip and we ask you for a dollar to reload, you’re really not that price sensitive at that point in time. So essentially what ends up happening, and the reason the play-first, pay-later model works nicely, is a consumer gets engaged in a property. They may spend ten, twenty, thirty, fifty hours in a game. And then, when they’re deep into a game, they’re well invested in it. At that point in time the commitment can be pretty high. It’s a great model and it represents a substantially better future for the industry.”

This is a quote from EA CEO John Riccitiello, he was talking recently about the future of games being based on the free to pay model (in a nutshell, you get the barebones game for free, but have to pay for any additional content to play the game-not talking about DLC, he means literally buying weapons, ammo in shooters, more enemies in RPG's, things like that). His first sentence there is the real give away. Are you really surprised that EA are putting profit margins before creativity?

As a rule, I defend the games industry for its money making tactics, as they tend to be justifiable and not too outrageous, but EA are singlehandedly destroying any possible reason I could have to defend them. Their desire to butt f**k us all with diamond encrusted dildos bought with our idiot money is becoming far too blatant. As I've said elsewhere, I don't really care about EA games anymore, and the ones I play, I'll make a point of buying 2nd hand on principle.


Hadnt heard that quote before, simply amazed at that and sums up my feelings towards EA at the moment, all they care about is the money and its getting worse and worse, i wouldnt mind but its not exactly like they are a small time company is it?!

One of the richest games companys in the world who must make millions off the likes of Fifa etc every year and they look to penny pinch and transform original games like Dead Space into the same old stuff that 90% of other games already do!

Complete and utter Assholes.

STE MO wrote:It's not really surprising, you just have to look at how much Mass Effect has changed. First one was, for me the best, great RPG elements, great guns and attachments and great story. Mass Effect 2 story was a bit meh, guns and armour had changed and it had a more 3rd person shooter feel with team mates. Mass Effect 3 I think got lost some where in the middle of an RPG and a 3rd person shooter. Whilst it was better then ME2 it isn't a patch on ME1. EA seem to going for the money, and who could blame them, that's what their job is. But to change the personality of a game is......well infuriating :x

I don't think Dead Space 3 will be hitting my Xbox until its in asda's 2 for £25.


Spot on buddy with the points on Mass Effect, love the series and games but again its an example of EA changing the personality of the game just to make more money.
Twitter- @baggieal
Gamertag- baggieal
baggieal 19
 
Posts: 36
Joined: 14 Jun 2012, 15:06
Location: United Kingdom

Re: Dead Space 3

Postby CunningSmile » 09 Jul 2012, 12:40

STE MO wrote:It's not really surprising, you just have to look at how much Mass Effect has changed. First one was, for me the best, great RPG elements, great guns and attachments and great story. Mass Effect 2 story was a bit meh, guns and armour had changed and it had a more 3rd person shooter feel with team mates. Mass Effect 3 I think got lost some where in the middle of an RPG and a 3rd person shooter. Whilst it was better then ME2 it isn't a patch on ME1. EA seem to going for the money, and who could blame them, that's what their job is. But to change the personality of a game is......well infuriating :x


Possibly the only situation on the internet where Microsoft sound like the better option, agree entirely.

And like Grummy I'm normally at the vanguard of defending business practices but EA make it so bloody hard to do sometimes.
What do you get when you cross a joke with a rhetorical question?
User avatar
CunningSmile 68
OXM Moderator
 
Posts: 9294
Joined: 03 Aug 2009, 15:17
Location: United Kingdom

Re: Dead Space 3

Postby msbhvn » 09 Jul 2012, 17:11

EA are heading for a big fall, I reckon. The comments they come out with and their attitude towards their customers is going to alienate them very quickly. Buying one of their games isn't enough for them, most of their DLC is stuff that clearly was meant to be in the game and has been taken out for extra profit. The Online Pass scheme is another thing that will alienate them, it started out with a grain of justification and quickly spiralled out of control.

They haven't created much original stuff lately, they're just trying to steal the success of established brands. Battlefield is going after CoD, Kingdoms of Amalur was going after Skyrim, Mass Effect is becoming more and more like Gears of War, Dead Space is after Resident Evil, the list goes on and on. I don't know how long BioWare are going to last, because EA are driving them into the ground at an alarming rate. After the ME3 single player DLC stops coming, I'm done with them.

It's getting to the point where I lose interest at the mention of EA's involvement with a game. I certainly don't trust anything that comes out of their mouths after all the lies about ME3.
I don't get the appeal at all. Like what do they do... say something stupid then read the replies while they touch themselves? - Vampyre_Ghost on trolls.
User avatar
msbhvn 66
 
Posts: 4061
Joined: 04 Oct 2010, 19:10
Location: United Kingdom

Re: Dead Space 3

Postby OXM ETboy » 22 Jul 2012, 23:42

I saw this recently, including New Stuff That Hasn't Been Shown Yet. I've written a preview for the mag, but I'd like to do something a bit more tailored for the site. Anything in particular you lot want to hear about? Any particular style of article you want to read?
User avatar
OXM ETboy
OXM Staff
 
Posts: 3161
Joined: 09 Mar 2011, 18:07

Re: Dead Space 3

Postby baggieal » 10 Feb 2013, 20:31

Anyone had chance to play it much yet?

Im on about Chapter 7 i think, and ive got to say im actually really enjoying it, it still feels like a Dead Space game IMO, its still making me jump a bit too many times for my liking :oops:, the levels ive played have seemed pretty decent ( not on the snow planet place yet) ive not used the cover system once and have had no troubles playing the game without using the cover system, the crafting weapons side of things have been an interesting new addition to go along with the normal being able to upgrade etc, the only down side at the moment IMO is the plot still feels a bit iffy but im interested to see where it goes from here etc, certain parts of it have annoyed me but i wont spoil it for people who havent played the game yet!

Overall from what ive played so far im pretty happy with it, yeah it feels a bit more actioney but its still good old Dead Space so far, interested to see how going on the snow planet changes things but yeah, a good game so far!
Twitter- @baggieal
Gamertag- baggieal
baggieal 19
 
Posts: 36
Joined: 14 Jun 2012, 15:06
Location: United Kingdom

Re: Dead Space 3

Postby FishyGinger » 11 Feb 2013, 10:45

baggieal wrote:Anyone had chance to play it much yet?

Im on about Chapter 7 i think, and ive got to say im actually really enjoying it, it still feels like a Dead Space game IMO, its still making me jump a bit too many times for my liking :oops:, the levels ive played have seemed pretty decent ( not on the snow planet place yet) ive not used the cover system once and have had no troubles playing the game without using the cover system, the crafting weapons side of things have been an interesting new addition to go along with the normal being able to upgrade etc, the only down side at the moment IMO is the plot still feels a bit iffy but im interested to see where it goes from here etc, certain parts of it have annoyed me but i wont spoil it for people who havent played the game yet!

Overall from what ive played so far im pretty happy with it, yeah it feels a bit more actioney but its still good old Dead Space so far, interested to see how going on the snow planet changes things but yeah, a good game so far!


And this is the reason people should not get outraged before trying it. Glad you're enjoying it though, are you playing it single player? does it feel like co-op is beckoning you or have you not noticed it at all?

As for EA, they'll get too arrogant, then they'll crash and try to win back peoples trust, then they'll get arrogant again I'm sure it's all cyclical. As always though I'll be getting games based on what I think of them individually, not who makes/distributes them.
I have given pleasure to the world because I have such a beautiful ass.
User avatar
FishyGinger 66
 
Posts: 3730
Joined: 08 Aug 2012, 13:42

Re: Dead Space 3

Postby baggieal » 11 Feb 2013, 19:10

Just single player at the moment, mate hasnt brought his copy yet so will try co-op when he gets it, looking forward to seeing how it differs from the single player side of things!

Tbh co-op isnt beckoned at all, ive saw none of the supposed doors that say co-op only on etc that i read about, if you just want to play it for the single player nothing ive come across so far throws massive hints at you that its a co-op section, could change later in the game, but so far so good.
Twitter- @baggieal
Gamertag- baggieal
baggieal 19
 
Posts: 36
Joined: 14 Jun 2012, 15:06
Location: United Kingdom

Re: Dead Space 3

Postby baggieal » 13 Feb 2013, 18:58

Still plugging my way through this, nearly at ten hours i think and i reckon ive still got a good couple of hours to go.

Have to say... im really really enjoying it, it just feels like normal Dead Space to me, i thought id find something by now that would piss me off considering im on the snow planet and everything but im still really enjoying it, been proved wrong in a way as i was expecting it to go downhill at some point, again as i said before the plot is still a bit iffy and the ending might just ruin it all anyway :lol:

But at the moment im still really enjoying it, got a good amount of gaming time out of it so cant even complain on that bit, makes me jump, ive ran out of ammo on a few ocassions so it still isnt too easy, there are a few more action scenes in but most games have them these days so i have just got used to it being in the majority of games now!

I know some people have moaned about facing human enemys, but tbh im seeing it as an interesting side plot, we're 3 games in, it wasnt just going to be alien after alien, we would have to encouter some other humans every now and then who would disagree with certain things, so even that is still quite enjoyable.

Quite happy with it :D

Cue ending ruining it all and turning :D into :evil:
Twitter- @baggieal
Gamertag- baggieal
baggieal 19
 
Posts: 36
Joined: 14 Jun 2012, 15:06
Location: United Kingdom

Re: Dead Space 3

Postby comabob » 04 Mar 2013, 09:22

I played Dead Space 1 at least 3 times and played 2 twice.

Considering i couldnt skip any of the cutscenes - its pretty amazing i cant tell what the f**k is going on in these games.

That said.

Im on CHapter 6 of this now and am finding it awesome.
"The boy said he's from hell. Maybe that's where we're going..."
Image
comabob 52
 
Posts: 6821
Joined: 13 Jul 2007, 13:24
Location: United Kingdom

Re: Dead Space 3

Postby Carpet Monkey » 04 Mar 2013, 23:33

Aside from the hideous first hour, I'm on chapter 9 now and agree that it's awesome! Far too plentiful on the ammo and health packs though, which is a shame. Even on the hard difficulty (but then the enemies are, naturally, harder and somehow less satisfying to kill, for me)
Last edited by Carpet Monkey on 05 Mar 2013, 00:26, edited 1 time in total.
Gamertag : Carpet Monkey
User avatar
Carpet Monkey 42
 
Posts: 1943
Joined: 31 Oct 2008, 17:31
Location: United Kingdom

Re: Dead Space 3

Postby OXM ETboy » 04 Mar 2013, 23:52

Glad to hear people are having fun with this - I think it got a lot of undeserved stick.
User avatar
OXM ETboy
OXM Staff
 
Posts: 3161
Joined: 09 Mar 2011, 18:07

Re: Dead Space 3

Postby comabob » 05 Mar 2013, 09:26

OXM ETboy wrote:Glad to hear people are having fun with this - I think it got a lot of undeserved stick.


Ive just now made it to the ice planet and have no idea why people were/are hating on it.

It IS annoying i cant do certain optional objective's without a co-op partner but theres still a shedload of content.

I stopped playing with the gun creating after i made a force gun with a grenade launcher attached. -force blast enemies away from me followed by a couple grenades. But i can honestly see myself finishing the campaign an spending ages in the weapons lab thing from th emain menu making a perfect death machine for the following playthroughs.

It is surprisingly easy compared to 2 though. Apart from the QTE's that comes on when your grabbed by an enemy taking too long to finish and the co-op mission issue mentioned - its the best dead space yet.
"The boy said he's from hell. Maybe that's where we're going..."
Image
comabob 52
 
Posts: 6821
Joined: 13 Jul 2007, 13:24
Location: United Kingdom

Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests

The forum teamDelete all forum cookiesAll times are UTC [ DST ]