to access exclusive content, comment on articles, win prizes and post on our forums. Not a member yet? Join now!

lego - LOTR thoughts so far

Playing them, beating them, moaning about them, celebrating them

lego - LOTR thoughts so far

Postby michaelhill2110 » 12 Aug 2012, 19:02

i've been hoping for this for a very long time and have always wonderd why it hasn't been done sooner... im verry interested at the fact here putting the film quotes into it... that i beleve is a first. whats the oppinion on them doing LEGO - The Hobbit as a follow up?

on a related subject my wife is curious about the posibility of a LEGO - Twilight... is it likely? is it even doable?
michaelhill2110 35

Re: lego - LOTR thoughts so far

Postby Bezza89 » 12 Aug 2012, 19:41

Anything is possible. They're making it exactly the same as the films story and speech wise so most of the gags would have to be visible ones, with the hobbit now three films I can see them releasing a game about it, much like star wars had 4-6, then 1-3 released later - and even the clone wars.

Twilight is chick-lit material I believe (never seen them, don't want to), and I think most game companies would assume there isn't a big enough audience within the gaming community to make a game about it, whether wrongly or rightly.
It's all in the game...
Bezza89 65

Postby michaelhill2110 » 12 Aug 2012, 19:55

Bezza89 wrote:Twilight is chick-lit material I believe (never seen them, don't want to), and I think most game companies would assume there isn't a big enough audience within the gaming community to make a game about it, whether wrongly or rightly.

it is chick-lit (nice term im using it from now on :D ) but serprisingly with some blokey bits... the vampires litteraly rip eachother apart. as a way "get in" with the farer sex there are far worse things to watch.

but back to the important matters... the hobbit is in 3 films?!?! and have just rewatched the LEGO - LOTR traler and DWARF THROWING!!
michaelhill2110 35

Postby Wadium_Arcadium » 12 Aug 2012, 20:36

It's Lego and Lord of the Rings. So I'm definitely buying it.

Will be interesting to see how the film dialogue works with the Lego. I expect a Hobbit version will follow after, it's even more likely now it's a trilogy.
"The lord of silver fountains, the king of carven stone. The king beneath the mountain shall come into his own. And the bell shall ring in gladness at the mountain king's return, but all shall fail in sadness, and the lake will shine and burn."
Wadium_Arcadium 38

Postby Bezza89 » 12 Aug 2012, 22:30

Yeah peter jackson said they'd do another film for a laugh, or maybe to bridge the gap over, hopefully everything will be 12 hours long again as I like to wile away a few days where the shirefolk are concerned.
It's all in the game...
Bezza89 65

Postby Clanger67 » 13 Aug 2012, 14:34

Anybody wanting a bit more Lego :LOTR there is the new Gamescom trailer.

http://www.gamedot.co.uk/2012/08/13/leg ... the-rings/
Cry havoc ! and let slip the dogs of war.
Clanger67 60

Postby CunningSmile » 14 Aug 2012, 09:55

The Hobbit was supposed to be 2 movies (presumably one to the Mountain and one dealing with Smaug and the Battle of Five Armies) but PJ had already decided to flesh out the main story using LOTR appendix stuff that helped turn the Hobbit into the proper prequel and apparently the run time was getting a bit much to be a two parter.

As for Twilight, so far all the Lego games have been based on series that Lego have the rights for, so if you start seeing Twilight Playsets crop up in Toys 'R' Us than a game would look likely.
What do you get when you cross a joke with a rhetorical question?
CunningSmile 68
OXM Moderator

Postby DaedricMince » 14 Aug 2012, 16:21

Lego LOTR looks pleasantly absurd.
DaedricMince 15

Postby Wadium_Arcadium » 14 Aug 2012, 19:25

DaedricMince wrote:Lego LOTR looks pleasantly absurd.

That quote could probably work on the front of any Lego game box. :)
"The lord of silver fountains, the king of carven stone. The king beneath the mountain shall come into his own. And the bell shall ring in gladness at the mountain king's return, but all shall fail in sadness, and the lake will shine and burn."
Wadium_Arcadium 38

Postby michaelhill2110 » 16 Aug 2012, 16:43

i would say that "pleasantly absurd" is the perfect description for a lego game
michaelhill2110 35

Postby SidTheSloth » 27 Nov 2012, 20:51

Got this today, so not miles into it yet - but i'm running around the shire as Sam and Frodo having completed the prologue and i have to say i'm geeking out on the whole LOTR-ness of it. The music is the official soundtrack, so running around to the same tunes as the film is epic - and i've hardly scratched the surface!

The collection bit seems the same as in the previous game and demo i played, not sure what half of it is for but guessing that'll become clear - believe you can craft new weapons and armour from it though!? Not sure if the novelty of the Lego part/gameplay will rub off before the end, but the fanboy part of me should definitely ensure i get to the end of the game, really impressed so far!

EDIT: Strongly suspect this is a 'you had to be there moment' but you haven't lived until you've had your very own 'sheep race' around the shire - i was sceptical as to how much fun co-op would be in the game but that was worth the entry fee alone (ignoring the fact i got this gratis)...! One of my standout gaming moments of this year, classic! :)
Sid is waving. Waving goodbye. It means he's leaving now. He's going. His final message to you, dear reader, is to always wash your hands after making a big pooh, and to remember that Hyrule Warriors is a thing…!
SidTheSloth 53

Postby FishyGinger » 28 Nov 2012, 11:49

I've not read up on this but can I assume it's co-op drop in as the others are? This is one my ladyfriend might actually like, she knows more about everything tolkien than just about anyone on the planet. She deserves a treat.
I have given pleasure to the world because I have such a beautiful ass.
FishyGinger 66

Postby SidTheSloth » 28 Nov 2012, 11:54

Few wonky mechanics in this, mainly with throwing objects etc and screen prompts being a bit fussy but otherwise still enjoying it very much, the world has been scaled down a little so you don't spend hours travelling but it still feels suitably vast with lots of places to explore.

Seriously begs the question as to how there hasn't been a proper LOTR game that makes you feel so badass-geeky-awesome? The PS2 ones were decent but can't remember a decent title since. Something LOTR based with gameplay akin to Dragons Dogma would ensure i die a happy(ish) sloth! :)
Sid is waving. Waving goodbye. It means he's leaving now. He's going. His final message to you, dear reader, is to always wash your hands after making a big pooh, and to remember that Hyrule Warriors is a thing…!
SidTheSloth 53

Postby SidTheSloth » 28 Nov 2012, 11:55

FishyGinger wrote:I've not read up on this but can I assume it's co-op drop in as the others are? This is one my ladyfriend might actually like, she knows more about everything tolkien than just about anyone on the planet. She deserves a treat.

Sorry - i had the logout issue whilst posting that so missed this - indeed it is, hence my sheep/goat races around the shire - hilarious!! :D
SidTheSloth 53

Postby FishyGinger » 28 Nov 2012, 13:18

Cheers slothy. Tried the demos of the harry potter ones (she likes HP too) but either way will pick this up.
I have given pleasure to the world because I have such a beautiful ass.
FishyGinger 66

Next