to access exclusive content, comment on articles, win prizes and post on our forums. Not a member yet? Join now!

Fallout 4 is set in Massachusetts, home of The Institute, an

Your comments on our articles.

"That's really all I can say for fear of losing my job."

Fallout 4 will take place in and around Boston, Massachusetts, according to somebody who "may or may not be" an employee of Massachusetts Institute of Technology. Sketchy? I know, but in these Fallout-deprived times, the slightest budding of insight is welcome.... read more

Fallout 4 is set in Massachusetts, home of The Institute, an

Postby CunningSmile » 20 Aug 2012, 10:08

It does sound plausible for all the reasons you put in the last paragraphy.

However MIT is home to some of the greatest minds in the US (possibly the world) and we are believing a rumour from a guy that can't spell fool? I Pity the Full (sorry, couldn't resist)
What do you get when you cross a joke with a rhetorical question?
CunningSmile 68
OXM Moderator

Re: Fallout 4 is set in Massachusetts, home of The Institute

Postby bamozzy » 20 Aug 2012, 10:39

I really enjoyed Fallout 3 - until I stumbled across the ending without really exploring much of the world and the rather abrupt way it did end. After seeing it, I have not really had much motivation to go back and retry as it left me feeling rather disappointed. I really hope this doesn't happen for Fallout 4!
As Confucius said 'Man who keeps hands in pockets feels Cocky all day'... ;-)

bamozzy 60

Postby Plamsa wing » 20 Aug 2012, 11:45

It is most liekly to be set in the Commonwealth.

It's actually mention in Fallout 3, The Pitt, Broken Steel and Point Lookout in some form. Also if I remember right, Harkness, Dr. Zimmer and Armitage are from the Commonwealth.

I think Dr. Li leaves to vist it as well.

I'm a bit of a Fallout nut, so it's okay to trust me. :roll:
"Hey! Don't lob factual statements at me as if they're insults!"
Plamsa wing 54

Postby STE MO » 20 Aug 2012, 12:05

In and around MIT would be good thinking, lots of new tech to play around with
STE MO 50

Postby Bezza89 » 20 Aug 2012, 12:15

Anywhere other than New York or LA is good.
It's all in the game...
Bezza89 65

Postby bamozzy » 20 Aug 2012, 12:24

Nevada - in particular a certain Military base - could also have some interesting artefacts, weaponry and technology. - although in terms of buildings and apocalyptic destruction it would be quite barren. It doesn't even have to be military or sci-fi type as it is also rumoured to contain religious artefacts that could possess some 'power'. After the supposed 'end of the world apocalypse' It could be interesting to use artificial that enhance certain abilities like telekinesis, mind control or something more organic than physical weaponry. Maybe certain types of character are more open to persuasion or dialogue choices if you have acquired certain enhancing artefacts. Maybe some genetic mutations are more open to mind control and could be used to fight against each other (or other characters) where as other mutations just need a good kicking with more physical weaponry.

I know MIT also has one some research into these type of human abilities too but it has been alleged that there are more artefacts of significance in Area 51

bamozzy 60

Postby Bezza89 » 20 Aug 2012, 13:12

After New Vegas I doubt we'd go back to Nevada even if area 51 wasn't in that game. Be good to see some research facilities though as you say.
It's all in the game...
Bezza89 65

Postby michaelhill2110 » 20 Aug 2012, 13:15

bamozzy wrote:Nevada - in particular a certain Military base - could also have some interesting artefacts, weaponry and technology. - although in terms of buildings and apocalyptic destruction it would be quite barren. It doesn't even have to be military or sci-fi type as it is also rumoured to contain religious artefacts that could possess some 'power'. After the supposed 'end of the world apocalypse' It could be interesting to use artificial that enhance certain abilities like telekinesis, mind control or something more organic than physical weaponry. Maybe certain types of character are more open to persuasion or dialogue choices if you have acquired certain enhancing artefacts. Maybe some genetic mutations are more open to mind control and could be used to fight against each other (or other characters) where as other mutations just need a good kicking with more physical weaponry.

I know MIT also has one some research into these type of human abilities too but it has been alleged that there are more artefacts of significance in Area 51

... does "new vegas" mean anything to you?
michaelhill2110 35

Postby golliwoza » 20 Aug 2012, 13:31

bamozzy wrote:Nevada - in particular a certain Military base - could also have some interesting artefacts, weaponry and technology. - although in terms of buildings and apocalyptic destruction it would be quite barren. It doesn't even have to be military or sci-fi type as it is also rumoured to contain religious artefacts that could possess some 'power'. After the supposed 'end of the world apocalypse' It could be interesting to use artificial that enhance certain abilities like telekinesis, mind control or something more organic than physical weaponry. Maybe certain types of character are more open to persuasion or dialogue choices if you have acquired certain enhancing artefacts. Maybe some genetic mutations are more open to mind control and could be used to fight against each other (or other characters) where as other mutations just need a good kicking with more physical weaponry.

There is actually an Area 51 mod on the PC version of New Vegas, and I have heard it is quite good try it if you have a PC version. Shame though that there is not much quality dialogue in the majority of the mods but the NV Bounties mod has to be the best for spoken dialogue, fun and story.

I would prefer the setting to be closer to Fallout 3's rather than NV, or for it to include more character at least in the landscape and environment.
Where we are going we wont need eyes to see.
golliwoza 56

Postby bamozzy » 20 Aug 2012, 14:07

New Vegas could be actually anywhere - hence 'NEW' for all I know. I haven't actually played it or read much about the game. As I said I was very disappointed with how Fallout 3 ended for me and at the time of New Vegas I was still annoyed with that experience so didn't really give this game much consideration (financial issues and I was also suffering personal and health related issues too also played a factor)

To be honest I was more interested in the concepts I mentioned that could come from an Area 51 type situation rather than Nevada itself and I don't know where else that could play a factor. Maybe a completely new setting outside of America would be good too. It could run alongside the same timeline but from another areas perspective like Europe for example...

bamozzy 60

Postby Plamsa wing » 20 Aug 2012, 14:14

New Vegas is set in Nevada.

Speaking of Fallout being set somewhere else, Allistair Tenpenny is supposedly from the UK, but went from the UK to the US to seek his fortune.

Desmond from Point Lookout is also from the UK.

I think J.E. Sawyer also said he would like to make a Fallout made during the Resource Wars, involving the Royal Armoured Corps.

golliwoza wrote:There is actually an Area 51 mod on the PC version of New Vegas, and I have heard it is quite good try it if you have a PC version. Shame though that there is not much quality dialogue in the majority of the mods but the NV Bounties mod has to be the best for spoken dialogue, fun and story.

Haven't tried the Area 51 mod yet, the weather effects mod makes it run slow enough already at times.

New Vegas Bounties is agood one though, I'd recommend the Fallout 3 weapon restoration mod as well.
"Hey! Don't lob factual statements at me as if they're insults!"
Plamsa wing 54

Postby SkinnerChinner » 20 Aug 2012, 14:54

Any Fallout 4 news is good news in my book, however unfounded the rumours are. The M.I.T location sounds really interesting, with all the suggestion of "sweet tech/loot", I can imagine Bethesda using it. Coincidentally, I've recently started playing F3 again..."exploding pants" never gets old! :twisted:
SkinnerChinner 35

Postby SkinnerChinner » 20 Aug 2012, 15:29

bamozzy wrote:I really enjoyed Fallout 3 - until I stumbled across the ending without really exploring much of the world and the rather abrupt way it did end. After seeing it, I have not really had much motivation to go back and retry as it left me feeling rather disappointed. I really hope this doesn't happen for Fallout 4!

Without opening that whole "forcing players into purchasing DLC" can of worms, Bethesda did address that with 'Broken Steel', which is well worth its price tag on it's own merits regardless - not to mention allowing you to continue after the main quest, raising the level cap to 30 & the extra gear.
SkinnerChinner 35

Postby bamozzy » 20 Aug 2012, 18:31

SkinnerChinner wrote:
bamozzy wrote:I really enjoyed Fallout 3 - until I stumbled across the ending without really exploring much of the world and the rather abrupt way it did end. After seeing it, I have not really had much motivation to go back and retry as it left me feeling rather disappointed. I really hope this doesn't happen for Fallout 4!

Without opening that whole "forcing players into purchasing DLC" can of worms, Bethesda did address that with 'Broken Steel', which is well worth its price tag on it's own merits regardless - not to mention allowing you to continue after the main quest, raising the level cap to 30 & the extra gear.

I actually thought the ending itself was very disappointing not just the fact that I stumbled upon it and I did know about the 'Broken Steel' expansion too. This however did not change the ending itself which ruined the game for me - and after seeing what happens I lost all motivation to play it. When you know how it ends and it is as bad as I found it then you lose all motivation to play through regardless of whether you could continue on afterwards. I didn't care about the side quests either if it ultimately boiled down to that ending (which I won't spoil in case others haven't played it) and people complained about MAss Effect 3's!

bamozzy 60

Postby Grummy » 20 Aug 2012, 18:44

just to clear up any suggestions people may have, Fallout will never be set outside of the US. It *might* venture into Canada at some point for part of a game, but completely set somewhere else? A main Fallout game? Not happening. Why? 2 reasons. First of all, it's a recognized fact that American gamers don't like playing games set in other countries and would rather the games they play be set in US, or somewhere completely fictional (I'm pretty sure I remember Edwin bringing this point up once somewhere, may have been Jonty) either way, developers tend to take this into consideration when making their games. This also ties nicely into the 2nd reason. Fallout is steeped in American history and lore, the entire setting and feel is based around a B-movie esque view of the future from 1950's small town America, that's what gives it a lot of its charm, to move it to Russia or England or somesuch, no matter how cool the settings, is to lose that Small town America B-movie soul. I could perhaps see another spin-off game being set somewhere else, just to see how they are faring in this post Apocalyptic world, but it's not likely. A game the size of Fallout, that has hundreds of hours worth of gameplay, all played in another country with Russian or English accents etc, I'm not sure how much people could take of it. I'd love to see the game set in London for example, but with every 3rd NPC then having a terrible cockney accent it would feel more than a little ridiculous. Fact is, these games need to be set in America.

OK, as for the Boston setting, I've heard about this a couple of months back, there was a suggestion on Reddit that Bethesda were scouting locations, and now we have this latest suggestion. Now then, I'm not against the idea of Boston, indeed, I think it is a very strong likelihood, it has a great number of positives, not least of all that it is a much greener area, very different from the massive desert and highly urban areas we've had so far. But, I find myself sceptical of these comments from redditors, I mean, for one thing, how on earth do they know it's Bethesda? Are they driving around in a massive truck with BETHESDA RULZ YO ASS printed on the side or something? Are they only talking in Dova and it just some happens that the redditors in question are nerdy enough to have memorized the entire dragon language? Are they just walking around with massive I WORK FOR BETHESDA SOFTWORKS badges on them? Boston has, I don't know, a million or more tourists every year, so how on earth could they know that one particular set of people taking photos are from Bethesda? If this was Bethesda, they'd either be keeping it quiet, so they wouldn't know, or it would be common knowledge and they'd be open about it. Also, only just scouting for locations now? I find that HUGELY doubtful. I know skyrim has just finished, but entire dev teams don't just sit and work together from start to finish, some people finish their jobs long before A game is released and move on to something else, and considering Skyrim doesn't exactly have to follow any realistic landscape, I'm pretty sure people would have been free for a few years now to scout out potential locations for the next FO game.

As I said, sceptical.
One. Warrior. Nation.
Grummy 64
OXM Moderator

Next