to access exclusive content, comment on articles, win prizes and post on our forums. Not a member yet? Join now!

Dragon Age 3 stars an Inquisitor, has co-op and political me

Your comments on our articles.

Alleged marketing docs blow new Dragon Age wide open

BioWare's unannounced, much-teased Dragon Age 3 casts players as an all-seeing, all-powerful Inquisitor, has a co-op mode and online features of some hue, and tasks you with the maintenance of a shadowy political empire, according to reports on BioWare Social.... read more

Dragon Age 3 stars an Inquisitor, has co-op and political me

Postby Plamsa wing » 20 Aug 2012, 11:29

Whatever the case, it'll have to be really good, with proper RPG elements, for it to be day-one buy.

I hope it actually take your past choices with the savefile import system into account, something Dragon Age 2 didn't do a very good job at. Hmm, I'm pretty sure I chopped her head off Bioware, why is she alive now? Don't act like I liked you either.
"Hey! Don't lob factual statements at me as if they're insults!"
Plamsa wing 54

Re: Dragon Age 3 stars an Inquisitor, has co-op and politica

Postby CunningSmile » 20 Aug 2012, 11:52

The plot sounds really good and seems to flow from the previous two games well, but please Bioware take your time on this, give us more than two endlessly reused areas and include some RPG in your RPG.
What do you get when you cross a joke with a rhetorical question?
CunningSmile 68
OXM Moderator

Postby Bezza89 » 20 Aug 2012, 12:19

I think co-op would be cool, it wouldn't work very well in conversations though unless you can have two inputting... as I said, wouldn't work. But out of conversations it would be cool.
It's all in the game...
Bezza89 65

Postby OXM ETboy » 20 Aug 2012, 12:38

I really like the sound of being an Inquisitor.
OXM ETboy
OXM Staff

Postby msbhvn » 20 Aug 2012, 14:20

They'd have to do the co-op well, though, and not just include it so they can lock it with Online Pass. The AI companions in both Dragon Age games left a lot to be desired, I usually ended up killing most things by myself and using LB and RB to switch to my companions when something needed doing, like healing. It would be good to be able to bring in someone from your friends list to help you, especially if they'd already done that quest and could say stuff like "that boss hates ice magic" or something.

Of course the above all assumes DA3 itself isn't a huge disappointment, and considering BioWare's recent track record... blah, blah, EA sucks, blah, money-grubbing, blah, blah, liars, blah, not buying until I'm sure it's good. Blah! :lol:
I don't get the appeal at all. Like what do they do... say something stupid then read the replies while they touch themselves? - Vampyre_Ghost on trolls.
msbhvn 66

Postby AxemanYako » 20 Aug 2012, 16:39

The idea sounds good, but I hope it doesn't turn out to be another Dragon Age 2. Please bring back the quality BioWare games are known for. Not simplistic and lazy game design.
AxemanYako 1

Postby SidTheSloth » 20 Aug 2012, 22:36

msbhvn wrote:The AI companions in both Dragon Age games left a lot to be desired, I usually ended up killing most things by myself and using LB and RB to switch to my companions when something needed doing, like healing.

Erm, tactics were completely customisable for them? Whilst not 100% as fluid as i'd have liked if they were shit it was pretty much down to how you had them set up? I play(ed) origins on nightmare and very often i didn't have to kill anything as they were so goddam lethal?

2 was a bit different because of the overpowered enemy rogues and the near incessant 'wave' spawns behind you, i could never find a decent enough instruction to say 'GET OUT OF THE GODDAM WAY IDIOT!!' :)

I don't want to be a reactionary whiner but i felt a shudder down my spine when i read co-op... I'll wait to hear more but if the co-op person can have a say in my world it'll p*ss me off, and if they can't it'll surely be boring to be the co-op guy/gal (as it is in fable).

The story/inquisitor idea i like. A lot. :)
Sid is waving. Waving goodbye. It means he's leaving now. He's going. His final message to you, dear reader, is to always wash your hands after making a big pooh, and to remember that Hyrule Warriors is a thing…!
SidTheSloth 53

Postby msbhvn » 20 Aug 2012, 22:57

SidTheSloth wrote:
msbhvn wrote:The AI companions in both Dragon Age games left a lot to be desired, I usually ended up killing most things by myself and using LB and RB to switch to my companions when something needed doing, like healing.

Erm, tactics were completely customisable for them? Whilst not 100% as fluid as i'd have liked if they were shit it was pretty much down to how you had them set up? I play(ed) origins on nightmare and very often i didn't have to kill anything as they were so goddam lethal?

I suppose you're right. I never did figure out the combat in Origins, ended up just playing it on Very Easy for the story. DA2, I got, but the tactics menu had eight billion options and since I hated all the companions except Varric, I couldn't be arsed figuring out how to stop them dying. :lol:

At least the companions in Dragon Age aren't as useless as the followers in Bethesda games. They might live longer if they didn't unerringly blunder into the path of my ultimate fire death spell or Fat Man. :x
I don't get the appeal at all. Like what do they do... say something stupid then read the replies while they touch themselves? - Vampyre_Ghost on trolls.
msbhvn 66

Postby Bezza89 » 20 Aug 2012, 22:58

Something I missed first time; four companions at once? Out of ten? Oh...
It's all in the game...
Bezza89 65

Postby SidTheSloth » 21 Aug 2012, 00:01

Bezza89 wrote:Something I missed first time; four companions at once? Out of ten? Oh...

"Oh" good or bad? Or just "Oh"? :)

The sheer number of characters isn't something i'm overly fussed about, i'd rather have three well written and likeable (even if they're unlikeable) characters than ten generic "wouldn't seem out of place in amalur" types... So long as they keep my DA favourite of in-party chatting between your companions i'll be happy - obviously the possibilities only increase with extra people! Downside is it could take ten playthroughs to hear everything! :wink: Should add a new dimension in battles i would think too, maybe lead to more experimentation with the sub-classes?

Be cool if they keep the dynamic-default convo thing from DA2 too...!
Sid is waving. Waving goodbye. It means he's leaving now. He's going. His final message to you, dear reader, is to always wash your hands after making a big pooh, and to remember that Hyrule Warriors is a thing…!
SidTheSloth 53

Postby Kettch » 21 Aug 2012, 03:24

I liked the special skills. I had a lethal Arcane Warrior in Origins. I missed that in my attempted mage playthrough in two. They bring that back, I'll be a happy bunny.

An online component could follow the same vein as that in ME3. To get the best possible ending, teamup witha party of friends,do some mini-quests to boost whatever equivalent to the galactic readiness bit, and all to Warriors of the World (United) by Manowar....
Ladies and gentlemen,take my advice: Pull down your pants, and slide on the ice
Kettch 24

Postby Bezza89 » 21 Aug 2012, 09:23

SidTheSloth wrote:
Bezza89 wrote:Something I missed first time; four companions at once? Out of ten? Oh...

"Oh" good or bad? Or just "Oh"? :)

The sheer number of characters isn't something i'm overly fussed about, i'd rather have three well written and likeable (even if they're unlikeable) characters than ten generic "wouldn't seem out of place in amalur" types... So long as they keep my DA favourite of in-party chatting between your companions i'll be happy - obviously the possibilities only increase with extra people! Downside is it could take ten playthroughs to hear everything! :wink: Should add a new dimension in battles i would think too, maybe lead to more experimentation with the sub-classes?

Be cool if they keep the dynamic-default convo thing from DA2 too...!

Oh as in far too many, only because the battlefield would get a bit hectic with five of you and would make everything piss easy or uber bad guys, and ten companions is a lot considering we want bioware to be putting a lot of effort in the game and I can expect 10 ''shortly written'' characters rather than 5-7 in depth characters. They had over 5 years for origins set of 8 companions was it? They likely will only have had 2 years/3 years for 3.
It's all in the game...
Bezza89 65

Postby Alaric14 » 21 Aug 2012, 21:05

I'll just be happy with gameplay that matches the quality of the writing this time around. I loved Dragon Age II, but by Christ was it a dull affair to play through more than twice.
Animator, writer, and NPC molester.
Alaric14 35