to join the Xbox community. Not a member yet? Join now!

You'll only kill one person in Capcom's Remember Me, Dontnod

Your comments on our articles.

Dontnod wants to "get away from generic violence"

Morning all. Apologies for the shortage of updates so far - I've been shamelessly caught up in the Metro's jolly spiffing interview with Dontnod Entertainment's creative director Jean-Maxime Moris, one of the minds behind new Capcom IP Remember Me.... read more

Postby bamozzy » 21 Aug 2012, 11:15

You can play quite a few games where you never kill anyone at all. In fact I have NEVER killed anyone playing a video game ever!I may have killed a lot of Characters, on screen representations but it seems that most (if not all) seem to respawn, or are not dead when I start again so I couldn't have killed them really!! My onscreen characters have probably 'killed' more than the entire population of the UK if not the world as I have been gaming for over 30 years BUT I have never killed, knifed or shot at anyone in reality. I haven't even punched, kicked or hit anyone since I was a boy at school in anger or self defence. I may have kicked a few people playing football though :P

In all my years as a gamer, I have NEVER become aggressive towards another person in real life. I have been frustrated and annoyed at times but not to that extent. I see more violence and aggression at a real life football match than ANY game has ever been responsible for and there are some violent games.

Maybe these games are actually more beneficial than harmful as it lets people take out those aggressive or violent feelings in a safe and non-harmful way to any real person!

If people think TV or Video Games are responsible for the Violence we see in reality then what caused it before these were invented? Maybe we would have more violence and aggression IF they hadn't been (as there was before) Human history is filled with violence, aggression and bloodshed - It is far worse than any video game or movie! Those that do commit aggressive acts would probably have committed them any way regardless of access to these type of games or TV.
As Confucius said 'Man who keeps hands in pockets feels Cocky all day'... ;-)

Loving Destiny at the moment!!! I know the story isn't as 'Epic' as it could be but the game is so addictive!!
bamozzy 67

Postby CunningSmile » 21 Aug 2012, 11:22

I'm a little disappointed that if you only kill one person in the whole game they've already show it to us. I'm a big fan of the idea of moving away from the overdone violence of this years E3 but surely a single killing in a whole game should be a BIG deal? It should be the very last person on a long road of revenge, it should be someone that you've been hunting through out an entire story, that you as a player have come to decide is someone that deserves this singular honour. It should not be someone the devs threw in the demo for fun.

Otherwise it's a bit like Batman letting the murderer of his parents or the Joker live but killing some random guy for boosting DVD players.
"Jar Jar, you're a genius"
CunningSmile 73
OXM Moderator

Re: You'll only kill one person in Capcom's Remember Me, Don

Postby mistergrimm » 22 Aug 2012, 15:08

CunningSmile wrote:I'm a little disappointed that if you only kill one person in the whole game they've already show it to us. I'm a big fan of the idea of moving away from the overdone violence of this years E3 but surely a single killing in a whole game should be a BIG deal? It should be the very last person on a long road of revenge, it should be someone that you've been hunting through out an entire story, that you as a player have come to decide is someone that deserves this singular honour. It should not be someone the devs threw in the demo for fun.

Otherwise it's a bit like Batman letting the murderer of his parents or the Joker live but killing some random guy for boosting DVD players.

It should only be the last person on a long road of revenge if that serves the story. From what is shown and said in the demo (to paraphrase, 'I was the hunter, now I am the hunted') I'm assuming the killing is the inciting incident of the in-game events - not the end result of them nor just something of no import that randomly happens halfway through. If I'm right (not to blow my own horn or anything, but I probably am :P ) then personally I'm fine with that kind of story.

And bamozzy, I don't think the developer is trying to say that videogame violence is the cause of real-life murder. They just want mortality to be meaningful in their story.
mistergrimm 33