to join the Xbox community. Not a member yet? Join now!

Dishonored designer: Minecraft is "like the Beatles", but mo

Your comments on our articles.

Players don't want scripting, "they want to tear the universe apart block-by-block"

Are games insensibly dwindling to the status of glorified films with a few, token interactive moments, warming over a small handful of inherited concepts? Are scripted experiences more sellable than those which evolve in response to player choice? Dishonored co-director Harvey Smith doesn't think so. He's an optimist.... read more

Dishonored designer: Minecraft is "like the Beatles", but mo

Postby Bezza89 » 29 Aug 2012, 11:42

How many games have been released now where you're a soldier, or a space marine, or you're surrounded by elves and wizards, or you're robbing a bank in L.A.?

I don't think I've ever been a soldier or space marine who robs banks owned by elves and wizards... what's this fool on about? :wink:

I'm sure we've all played a game where you have superhuman powers before, or where we're an assassin, or where we're in a dystopian setting. Where we're a human, with eyes and hands and other extremities etc. What's this; a floor? You cliched bastards! Dishonoured looks to be setting up quite an original concept on what can be put into a simple, much used other bits, but don't act like you're the only one coming up with original ideas.

I hate the scripted cinematic style of gameplay, I don't mind cutscenes, but the whole QTE/first person no control bits really annoy me as alternatives to cutscenes - I've said a million times before (probably) - go the half life 2 route if you want the first person cutscenes, or just stick with cutscenes.
...and if you tell that to the kids of today, they wont believe you!
Bezza89 67

Re: Dishonored designer: Minecraft is "like the Beatles", bu

Postby OXM ETboy » 29 Aug 2012, 11:47

I don't think I've ever been a soldier or space marine who robs banks owned by elves and wizards...

SWEET JESUS.

/copyrights
OXM ETboy
OXM Staff

Postby FishyGinger » 29 Aug 2012, 11:59

Bezza89 wrote:
I hate the scripted cinematic style of gameplay, I don't mind cutscenes, but the whole QTE/first person no control bits really annoy me as alternatives to cutscenes - I've said a million times before (probably) - go the half life 2 route if you want the first person cutscenes, or just stick with cutscenes.

Well yes and no, I dislike things like bf3 and cod where it quite often wrenches control, but I don't think bioshocks twist would have worked any other way, and are they not the same sort of thing? Again balance is the key, there's space enough for tightly scripted games and wide open world games that allow you to do what you want.

Personally I like alternating between games like minecraft, skyrim, fallout, gta and games like rage, half life, castlevania and other games I don't really need to think about, just enjoy.

Ummm, back to the future done in the gta style where you alternate between timelines and past affects future...maybe a next gen idea...must have a delorean though.
2 + 4 = Fish
FishyGinger 69

Postby Plamsa wing » 29 Aug 2012, 13:13

I thought the recent Fall of Cybertron had a nice balance, there was never really a part where I thought, hmm time to put down the controller down and press a button.

Mass Effect 3 took a step backwards with it's auto dialogue. That was not my Shepard, just an imposter.

I hated BF3 for the reason of it having QTE's left, right and centre. I don't care for on the rails parts either.

Cutscenes when not there just for fluff, are fine providing they actually progress the story. Anything else could be done through actual gameplay.

Bezza89 wrote:I don't think I've ever been a soldier or space marine who robs banks owned by elves and wizards.

Sounds like Harry Potter 3000: Future Wizard.
The bitterns are doing it for me.
Plamsa wing 56

Postby Bezza89 » 29 Aug 2012, 13:21

FishyGinger wrote:
Well yes and no, I dislike things like bf3 and cod where it quite often wrenches control, but I don't think bioshocks twist would have worked any other way, and are they not the same sort of thing? Again balance is the key, there's space enough for tightly scripted games and wide open world games that allow you to do what you want.

Ah but a) that was clearly a cutscene (black bars), and b) if we were to be pedantic and say it was just the same as the wrenching of control it wouldn't matter because that is very much the story context of bioshock, spoilers - because you don't have control of the player, not technically.
...and if you tell that to the kids of today, they wont believe you!
Bezza89 67

Postby FishyGinger » 29 Aug 2012, 14:18

True, in some cases there are fine lines between what should be a cutscene and what is a QTE. In that scene you were still the player character looking through his eyes. But it did make perfect sense not to have control and press X to swing would have been a little jarring. What point was I trying to make again? Maybe something along the lines of to make something cinematic QTE is a cheap technique but there's nothing wrong with linear cinematic games....I don't know, I think the lack of salt water in my diet is poisoning me.

In the bright side it is raining again here.
2 + 4 = Fish
FishyGinger 69