to access exclusive content, comment on articles, win prizes and post on our forums. Not a member yet? Join now!

XCOM: Enemy Unknown.

Playing them, beating them, moaning about them, celebrating them

XCOM: Enemy Unknown.

Postby Plamsa wing » 24 Sep 2012, 12:12

Hopefully this thread doesn't exist yet and I'm not wasting my time.

Anyway, is anyone looking forward to this and/or getting it? There is about an hours worth of footage here, if anyone if interested. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1VP4YmExQAE
"Hey! Don't lob factual statements at me as if they're insults!"
Plamsa wing 54

Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown.

Postby Clanger67 » 24 Sep 2012, 12:27

Yeah i am interested still have the original and Terror from the deep for pc.Can't afford it straight away though having pre ordered Dishonoured,will get it at some point though,might be next year though.
Cry havoc ! and let slip the dogs of war.
Clanger67 60

Postby schwepterbrowser » 24 Sep 2012, 13:41

I'm quite interested in this, which I find surprising as I don't usually like RTS/Strategy/Management games. If I did get it I'd probably go for the PC version, though.
schwepterbrowser 54

Postby schwepterbrowser » 25 Sep 2012, 11:58

Don't know if there's one on XBL, but there's a demo up on Steam. Downloading now.
schwepterbrowser 54

Postby DGR1980 » 27 Sep 2012, 20:11

Damn those videos are good.

And thats another game on my preorder list
DGR1980 39

Postby Plamsa wing » 03 Oct 2012, 12:41

Just tried the Steam demo with the Xbox controller, the controls are actually pretty good. Now whether they hold up on the console is another matter.

I'll be getting this on the 360, the game is choppy on my PC. I think now is the time start saving my pennies for a proper gaming PC.
"Hey! Don't lob factual statements at me as if they're insults!"
Plamsa wing 54

Postby kronk10 » 08 Oct 2012, 12:01

As the game is due out this friday do we know if the review will be soon? and i heard rumours of a demo out on the 9th is this true?
kronk10 41

Postby OXM ETboy » 08 Oct 2012, 12:13

Review will be live today. Keep your eyes peeled.
OXM ETboy
OXM Staff

Postby kronk10 » 08 Oct 2012, 12:17

OXM ETboy wrote:Review will be live today. Keep your eyes peeled.

thank you very much :D
kronk10 41

Postby Bezza89 » 08 Oct 2012, 15:14

I've seen a video now after being ''reminded'' by a sloth of all creatures to do so, it looks ok, is there a co-op element or is it all SP? I know there's adversary mode right? I'd be interested if it's a team effort type of thing, not very interested otherwise.
It's all in the game...
Bezza89 65

Postby Clanger67 » 08 Oct 2012, 16:13

There is MP Bezza not sure about co op,don't think so.

MULTIPLAYER: As you’d expect with any game worth its salt these days, Enemy Unknown comes with a fully featured multiplayer mode. You can arrange your (6-man) squad offline, choose specific sub-classes to take into battle, along with their weapons, armour and items. You can mix alien and human soldiers too, making for some truly unique match-ups on the multiplayer playground. However, you can’t just throw the best soldiers going into the mix; in fact you’ll have a set amount of points that you cannot exceed if you wish to play a ranked match, though there are less restrictions on unranked matches.

From there, you’ve got a set amount of time (default is 120 seconds) to make your turn, but the best thing about the multiplayer is the balance. Due to the points given to work with, you really are forced to think about who you take into battle with you. You can easily fill out your roster with rookies, but you’ll get beaten if your opponent has a well balanced squad ready to send you into oblivion. If you want to just have a laugh with friends, you can create a custom match which allows you to choose the points limit, map and time limit, so you could – in theory – just play this way, to see all the ultra soldiers. The multiplayer is a lot of fun and offers something truly different in the multiplayer arena, and also adds yet more for the player to completely immerse themselves in.
Cry havoc ! and let slip the dogs of war.
Clanger67 60

Postby Bezza89 » 09 Oct 2012, 01:11

After watching another video I think the game might annoy too much, it looks like it requires a lot of your time and for you to be quite anal with research and upgrades in order to succeed. Out of the two today, dishonoured gets my vote, when I'm done with borderlands I'll give that a whirl. Anyone who gets x-com, let us know how it is if you don't mind - I'm interested but the videos might not be showing the best/giving it justice.
It's all in the game...
Bezza89 65

Postby SidTheSloth » 09 Oct 2012, 09:01

Bezza89 wrote:After watching another video I think the game might annoy too much, it looks like it requires a lot of your time and for you to be quite anal with research and upgrades in order to succeed. Out of the two today, dishonoured gets my vote, when I'm done with borderlands I'll give that a whirl. Anyone who gets x-com, let us know how it is if you don't mind - I'm interested but the videos might not be showing the best/giving it justice.

If it looks like it would annoy then my gut feeling is it probably will annoy... It can be played as fast or as slow as you want really, but the faster you play, in all likelihood, the faster your game will end, and not necessarily in the positive way you'd expect! Maybe swerve it until cheaper or rent it dude, you wouldn't order salmon if you don't like fish, regardless of how highly recommended it is - would you?

There's a demo up on steam for the pc but from what you've said in the past that may not work out too well as it's a big download with no guarantees at all that it'll work... :|

I'm actually expecting a lot of people who get it will love it, but like Dark Souls and others of that ilk - slightly more niche, i'm also expecting the 'high score/good review/play everything' crowd to get it and complain, especially as from what i've seen it pulls no punches (on the higher/proper difficulties)
Sid is waving. Waving goodbye. It means he's leaving now. He's going. His final message to you, dear reader, is to always wash your hands after making a big pooh, and to remember that Hyrule Warriors is a thing…!
SidTheSloth 53

Postby comabob » 09 Oct 2012, 09:07

See this whole time i thought that XCOM had 2 games coming out. - The Remade FPS one due next year - and this one.

Up til now i had assumed this would be a XBLA game for like 1200points or something - i probably would have picked it up for 1200oints..

Biut a full retail release? nah
"The boy said he's from hell. Maybe that's where we're going..."
comabob 52

Postby kronk10 » 09 Oct 2012, 09:31

comabob wrote:See this whole time i thought that XCOM had 2 games coming out. - The Remade FPS one due next year - and this one.

Up til now i had assumed this would be a XBLA game for like 1200points or something - i probably would have picked it up for 1200oints..

Biut a full retail release? nah

Still cannot quite understand where you got this was gonna be an arcade game on xbox live? Its a huge complex and time consuming game not an 1200 point arcade game! I knew there were two games in development this and the fps xcom game and to say you would have only paid 1200 points for this is actually a kick in the teeth for the developers as they have obviously put a lot of time and effort into this game. No offense to actual arcade games as some 1200 point arcade games are brilliant and worth every penny but my concern with comments like this are that people still want boring done to death FPS games not intelligent, complex strategy games that actually get the most out of gamers.
kronk10 41

Next