to access exclusive content, comment on articles, win prizes and post on our forums. Not a member yet? Join now!

Impulse buys: 11 budget brainy games for XCOM and Dishonored

Your comments on our articles.

A celebration of gaming's Smart Alecs

There's no such thing as a "brainy game", really. The great strength of videogames, after all, is that they're as challenging as you want them to be. Bored to tears by the prison escape sequence in Call of Duty: Black Ops? Try completing it with just a knife, or without using cover, or while reciting the Faerie Queene backwards. See: instant smartypants.... read more

Impulse buys: 11 budget brainy games for XCOM and Dishonored

Postby Grummy » 19 Oct 2012, 13:50

Does the guy playing Quarrel have all the letters available to spell Israeli on purpose?

A couple of games worth adding in here I would say are Tropico 3 and/or 4, both easily available for under £15 on Amazon

On XBLA I would say Band of Bugs and Vandal Hearts. Both play the same way, and are excellent turn based strategy RPG's.
Plus, Band of Bugs is by Ninja Bee, probably my favourite XBLA developer.
One. Warrior. Nation.
Grummy 64
OXM Moderator

Re: Impulse buys: 11 budget brainy games for XCOM and Dishon

Postby OXM ETboy » 19 Oct 2012, 14:00

Thumbs up to Tropico 4 and Vandal Hearts XBLA. Vandal Hearts 2 on PS1 was waaaaaaaay better, though.
OXM ETboy
OXM Staff

Postby JCHN » 19 Oct 2012, 14:01

Grummy wrote:Does the guy playing Quarrel have all the letters available to spell Israeli on purpose?

A couple of games worth adding in here I would say are Tropico 3 and/or 4, both easily available for under £15 on Amazon

On XBLA I would say Band of Bugs and Vandal Hearts. Both play the same way, and are excellent turn based strategy RPG's.
Plus, Band of Bugs is by Ninja Bee, probably my favourite XBLA developer.

THIS. ALL OF THIS!!!
JCHN 56

Postby Thos. » 19 Oct 2012, 14:41

Not sure if this is mentioned, but I absolutely loved Greed Corp. You have to take over an ever-shrinking hex-based map with a number of different units. It's not too complex to learn, but really fun and tactical once you get into it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o3x5WWKGulM

It definitely didn't get the love it deserved.
Thos. 43

Postby Grummy » 19 Oct 2012, 16:48

OXM ETboy wrote:Thumbs up to Tropico 4 and Vandal Hearts XBLA. Vandal Hearts 2 on PS1 was waaaaaaaay better, though.

....I never played it. It was really difficult to find a copy and I never managed to play it. I've still got a copy of the original knocking here somewhere though.
One. Warrior. Nation.
Grummy 64
OXM Moderator