to access exclusive content, comment on articles, win prizes and post on our forums. Not a member yet? Join now!

What if Halo was a horror game? And other Halloween tales

Your comments on our articles.

Five franchises that could be chilling

It's Halloween, time of devilry and chaos, and the internet is full to the brim with hastily cobbled-together lists of scary things like leering pumpkins, Photoshopped pictures of ghosts and massively over-priced copies of Silent Hill.... read more

What if Halo was a horror game? And other Halloween tales

Postby CunningSmile » 31 Oct 2012, 16:47

Games that could make fantastic horror games if handled differently?

Dead Space 3?

Resident Evil 6?

Too soon?
I miss my care free youth when my biggest concern was where to hide the latest body
CunningSmile 68
OXM Moderator

Re: What if Halo was a horror game? And other Halloween tale

Postby OXM ETboy » 31 Oct 2012, 16:57

I did consider putting Resident Evil on the end there - it would have been a masterful zing. But I'm too kind, dear.
OXM ETboy
OXM Staff

Postby FishyGinger » 31 Oct 2012, 17:16

Resi 6? Zing indeed, the horror element was the only thing that wasn't scary.

Timesplitters 2 is the scariest thing I've ever played. Split screen virus mode. Being chased by a flaming duckman drake as it squawks is a horrible feeling, then running into the toasty gingerbread man.
I have given pleasure to the world because I have such a beautiful ass.
FishyGinger 66

Postby comabob » 31 Oct 2012, 19:59

I wanna see some developer copy the bully setup but cross a little Deadly Premonition (town full of NPCs who behave like actual people) and a little Clock Tower (constantly pursued by a menacing killer)

Keep the protagonist as a child - keep the schoolyard highjinx - but once its dark a creepy killer stalks the school bumping off characters. Being an intrepid young rapscallion you embark on a DP style investigation in the school/town while constantly threatened by nighttime attacks.

Slap a R* logo on it and ill buy that for a dollar.

As far as games on 360 that do exist - Condemned 1 is the only true horror game imho
"The boy said he's from hell. Maybe that's where we're going..."
comabob 52

Postby msbhvn » 31 Oct 2012, 20:46

I was going to put Condemned on tonight, being Halloween, but Dead Island "shouldn't be called Game of the Year edition" was on my backlog pile and I'm a bit sick of Borderlands 2, so I started that instead.
I don't get the appeal at all. Like what do they do... say something stupid then read the replies while they touch themselves? - Vampyre_Ghost on trolls.
msbhvn 66

Postby CunningSmile » 01 Nov 2012, 10:24

comabob wrote:I wanna see some developer copy the bully setup but cross a little Deadly Premonition (town full of NPCs who behave like actual people) and a little Clock Tower (constantly pursued by a menacing killer)

Keep the protagonist as a child - keep the schoolyard highjinx - but once its dark a creepy killer stalks the school bumping off characters. Being an intrepid young rapscallion you embark on a DP style investigation in the school/town while constantly threatened by nighttime attacks.

Slap a R* logo on it and ill buy that for a dollar.

As far as games on 360 that do exist - Condemned 1 is the only true horror game imho

Oo, here's my dollar too!!!
I miss my care free youth when my biggest concern was where to hide the latest body
CunningSmile 68
OXM Moderator

Postby Dowgle » 01 Nov 2012, 16:00

FishyGinger wrote:Resi 6? Zing indeed, the horror element was the only thing that wasn't scary.

Timesplitters 2 is the scariest thing I've ever played. Split screen virus mode. Being chased by a flaming duckman drake as it squawks is a horrible feeling, then running into the toasty gingerbread man.

The virus mode on Timesplitters scares the bejesusssss out of me, especially if you're the last one alive. Great, great game.
Dowgle 31