to access exclusive content, comment on articles, win prizes and post on our forums. Not a member yet? Join now!

Assassin's Creed 3: the only thing I like is the combat

Your comments on our articles.

A second opinion on Ubisoft's revolutionary adventure

I'm not enjoying Assassin's Creed 3. In fact, I think it's fair to say I loathe it. That's partly because after several hours of play, I'm only just beginning to experience the game Ubisoft has spent the past six months banging on about in the trailers. The monstrous prologue (which, in fairness, houses a cunning twist) is clearly the work of a team that's simultaneously too fond of its own universe and excessively anxious about teaching newcomers the basics. New and familiar tools are handed out to players grudgingly, and the use of those tools is broken up by fat, clumsy hunks of exposition.... read more

Assassin's Creed 3: the only thing I like is the combat

Postby Grummy » 02 Nov 2012, 19:11

Having not yet played this, I can't really comment, so I'll say this instead, my one big fear in the combat this time around is that it will nail the feeling of truly fighting skilled opponents and your needing actually learn and be skillful, but will completely discard the beauty of the old combat that saw you weave through dozens of enemies at a time in an the most exquisitely aesthetic dance of death. It always struck me that an Assassin SHOULD be able to mow through poorly skilled and armed enemies with ease, but actually have to be skillful and think his way through a fight with a skilled fighter. I'm hoping they have struck a balance between the two, but I fear it will prove that they have not.
One. Warrior. Nation.
Grummy 64
OXM Moderator

Re: Assassin's Creed 3: the only thing I like is the combat

Postby Fionarei » 02 Nov 2012, 19:15

Grummy wrote:Having not yet played this, I can't really comment, so I'll say this instead, my one big fear in the combat this time around is that it will nail the feeling of truly fighting skilled opponents and your needing actually learn and be skillful, but will completely discard the beauty of the old combat that saw you weave through dozens of enemies at a time in an the most exquisitely aesthetic dance of death. It always struck me that an Assassin SHOULD be able to mow through poorly skilled and armed enemies with ease, but actually have to be skillful and think his way through a fight with a skilled fighter. I'm hoping they have struck a balance between the two, but I fear it will prove that they have not.

It's still totally the same as in the previous installment don't you worry. It's just like in ACB that there were spear men that you need to counter in the different ways, this time is the same. I was in one spot of the town which seems to spawn endless enemy and killed like hundreds of them non-stop
Fionarei 13

Postby fracturedrich » 02 Nov 2012, 19:22

nothing else just the combat ime playing it at the moment and its a slow starter but i like more than just the combat, bad article
fracturedrich 45

Postby OXM ETboy » 02 Nov 2012, 19:32

Just my take on the matter, gents! I expect plenty will beg to differ.
OXM ETboy
OXM Staff

Postby Grummy » 02 Nov 2012, 19:35

fracturedrich wrote:nothing else just the combat ime playing it at the moment and its a slow starter but i like more than just the combat, bad article

Please, can you learn to construct proper sentences? I've read a bunch of your replies now and they're hellish to try and understand. Also, rather than just randomly stating it's a bad article (it's not, btw), perhaps you could try telling us why you think it IS.

Fionarei, that's good to know, thanks. How does the combat flow, is it very stop-start like in AC2 or does it flow nicely between kills like in AC1 & Brotherhood?
One. Warrior. Nation.
Grummy 64
OXM Moderator

Postby KernowDevil23 » 02 Nov 2012, 19:36

fracturedrich wrote:nothing else just the combat ime playing it at the moment and its a slow starter but i like more than just the combat, bad article

Hmmmm.......It's a "bad article" because it doesn't match your opinion of the game??

Clearly the forum's "preview" button is broken because if you thought about that before posting, you may well not have bothered.
I don't care if a game is "the same every year." So is pizza. Stop buying the bad pizza. Buy the good pizza.
KernowDevil23 56

Postby DGR1980 » 02 Nov 2012, 19:37

Grummy wrote:Fionarei, that's good to know, thanks. How does the combat flow, is it very stop-start like in AC2 or does it flow nicely between kills like in AC1 & Brotherhood?

I'm finding the combat flows really nicely. It takes reflexes / skill / luck to get the first kill, and you can still put together a chain of kills like in brotherhood
DGR1980 39

Postby Grummy » 02 Nov 2012, 19:39

Kool, cheers dude.
One. Warrior. Nation.
Grummy 64
OXM Moderator

Postby DGR1980 » 02 Nov 2012, 19:41

Also this is the first game in a long while that i've played all day without getting bored / switching games. Usually my boredom point is a couple of hours
DGR1980 39

Postby cthulhustu » 02 Nov 2012, 19:52

I have to agree. So far, I'm about four to five hours in, and I'm STILL playing the prologue, which, to be fair, is nothing more than a drawn out tutorial. I hope it does open out as the reviews have said it does, otherwise this is shaping up to be the biggest disappointment of the year. It just feels tedious.

On the subject of the combat, it feels more satisfying, a little more cathartic. Firearms I'm not convinced by as yet, they feel as though they've been tacked on as they are an essential part of the era, rather than being fully integrated, like the crossbow and hidden gun of the previous games, for example. Or maybe it's just me.
cthulhustu 8

Postby DGR1980 » 02 Nov 2012, 19:54

cthulhustu wrote:On the subject of the combat, it feels more satisfying, a little more cathartic. Firearms I'm not convinced by as yet, they feel as though they've been tacked on as they are an essential part of the era, rather than being fully integrated, like the crossbow and hidden gun of the previous games, for example. Or maybe it's just me.

I find a pistol shot to the ones who keep countering helps keep the fight flowing :twisted:
DGR1980 39

Postby Caligulove » 02 Nov 2012, 20:33

I can absolutely sympathize with this Ed, after my first day of playing the game I was thinking almost the exact same thing. It does take a stupidly long time to actually get to the game you were promised and then once you do it doesn't exactly blow you away. Connors annoying, urban areas feel less impressive (syncing an area is just a chore now) and the frontier just feels like a big bit of filler.

But, as Log has advised, it does turn it around. The frontier starts to feel like a lawless playground where you can ambush redcoats without consequence, infiltrate enemy forts and hijack convoys of goodies. There's also fun little legends to investigate as well as rare/unique animals to track and hunt. The towns and cities really start to shine when you're hunting the Almanac pages that are similar to Crackdown 2's orbs, its then you start to appreciate that what the cities lack in grandeur they make up for in detail. Unfortunately Connor is annoying throughout.

I'm not the biggest Assassins Creed fan and still think the latest game has some obvious flaws and it is a tad glitchy, but that being said I do think its the best in the series yet. The original game was a good idea badly executed, the second game trimmed the fat while building upon what was good, and now the third has managed to re-invent itself but still feel absolutely like an Assassins Creed game.

(I don't mention Brotherhood or Revelations because frankly after tearing it up as Ezio in ACII trying to play those two felt like just doing the same thing over again and both bored the arse off me - for as long as I could play them.)
Caligulove 31

Postby tjam84 » 02 Nov 2012, 20:39

I disagree strongly with this article. I've been playing for 15 hours now and i feel it's the best in the series by far. The problem, as far as i can see it, is that so many people have had preconcieved ideas as to what this game SHOULD do rather than just enjoying the game on it's own merit. Everyone just wants to be connor already, in the city, killing everything, within 30 minutes.

Sit back, enjoy the beginning with Haytham, enjoy the atmosphere, the superb voice acting and the story and the combat and the parkour etc and stop moaning. I did not have high expectations and perhaps that's why I'm enjoying it so much.

Assassins creed 2 was a great game, i've played it twice, but nostalgia fanboyism, as with so many games, has turned it into something better than it was. It was flawed. AC 3 whilst still flawed takes significant steps forward and i wish people would stop slating it because they're not able to don the white robe and tear it up straight away.

On a side note, the game whilst still a bit pro-american has not been nearly as prejudiced as i feared, it actually feels very british at times.
tjam84 31

Postby RyanGowran » 02 Nov 2012, 20:43

Totally agree

the game takes ages to get to the point but awell
RyanGowran 23

Postby SidTheSloth » 02 Nov 2012, 21:31

I've yet to buy this as not got the time to play it right now, but i am playing through Dishonored and i find myself wishing that Assassins Creed had missions with at least some of the structure of Arkanes effort, but at the same time i feel that Dishonored could sometimes do with some of AC's action/combat thrown in to liven it up a little...

I can imagine Dishonored is quite off-putting to some as it's not always easy/accessible, but at the same time i hope that doesn't mean when i come to AC3 that the missions feel too simplistic and generic - having played and enjoyed each and every one of the others that's always been one of my bugbears with the series, and it doesn't sound like it's made a quantum leap in that regard? Time will tell of course, i'll be my own judge as always!! :)
Sid is waving. Waving goodbye. It means he's leaving now. He's going. His final message to you, dear reader, is to always wash your hands after making a big pooh, and to remember that Hyrule Warriors is a thing…!
SidTheSloth 53

Next