to access exclusive content, comment on articles, win prizes and post on our forums. Not a member yet? Join now!

Halo 4 Spartan Ops: Episode 1

Your comments on our articles.

Spartan Optional?

Couldn't give a chuff for Halo multiplayer? Not particularly keen on the idea of other players butting in on your campaign storytelling? Lay your concerns to rest, O insular one, for Spartan Ops mode's guilty secret is that (so far, at least) you can play it entirely by yourself (you will, however, need an Xbox Live Gold connection anyway - apologies to those misled by this review as it was originally published).... read more

Halo 4 Spartan Ops: Episode 1

Postby ChillieBonBon » 04 Nov 2012, 21:55

I was never to sure about spartan ops replacing firefight as it seems that they're a bit shallow wjile firefight was always action packed and fun.
If a cluttered desk is the sign of of a cluttered mind, what is an empty desk a sign of?
ChillieBonBon 24

Re: Halo 4 Spartan Ops: Episode 1

Postby Lancer Armstrong » 06 Nov 2012, 12:10

I am f**king pissed off with this game and I am f**king pissed off with you, OXM, for writing this misleading review!

Spartan Ops is not playable offline! You lied!

I don't play online. I don't have a Gold Membership. My console isn't even connected to anything other than my TV.

I've played every single Halo game, and this is the first time that I feel I'm being excluded from what is offered to online players. I thought I could play Spartan Ops solo or with a friend in split-screen, but I can't. You HAVE to go online. Again, you lied.

I truly regret making this a Day One purchase. I won't make that mistake again.

I also won't make the mistake of ever believing a single thing you pricks write ever again.
Lancer Armstrong 23

Postby DGR1980 » 06 Nov 2012, 12:14

Lancer Armstrong wrote:I am f**king pissed off with this game and I am f**king pissed off with you, OXM, for writing this misleading review!

I don't play online. I don't have a Gold Membership. My console isn't even connected to anything other than my TV.

I've played every single Halo game, and this is the first time that I feel I'm being excluded from what is offered to online players. I thought I could play Spartan Ops solo or with a friend in split-screen, but I can't. You HAVE to go online. Again, you lied.

I also won't make the mistake of ever believing a single thing you pricks write ever again.

Given that Spartan Ops is downloadable content for 10 weeks its kinda implicit that you need to go online to get it no?
DGR1980 39

Postby OXM ETboy » 06 Nov 2012, 12:17

Hi Lancer,

I've just double-checked and yes, you're absolutely right - you can play Spartan Ops in single player but you need an Xbox Live Gold connection to play it even when you're not playing with friends. Which is kind of nuts, really.

I can only apologise for this oversight - it didn't enter my head to check because, well, my general expectation is that when I'm playing solo I don't have to be online :( I'll update the review copy to suit.

Edwin
OXM ETboy
OXM Staff

Postby kronk10 » 06 Nov 2012, 17:17

Lancer Armstrong wrote:I am f**king pissed off with this game and I am f**king pissed off with you, OXM, for writing this misleading review!

Hang on there chap bloody hell! Yes OXM did say that it was a mistake and have re done the review accordingly but to call them pricks is a bit to far! Also why oh why did you not check yourself ? You actually bought the game on this review alone? why and really? I always go check out everything out about the game read a few more reviews and go and check the games website out. You really should have done some research chap before you let the keyboard warrior out because in all fairness OXM are not pricks they just made a mistake and a very simple mistake at that!
kronk10 41

Postby ChillieBonBon » 06 Nov 2012, 19:15

Calm down mate and watch your attitude or the banhammer will claim another victim. What happened was a simple mistake!!
If a cluttered desk is the sign of of a cluttered mind, what is an empty desk a sign of?
ChillieBonBon 24

Postby Lancer Armstrong » 06 Nov 2012, 21:38

When the OFFICIAL XBOX MAGAZINE tells you that a major part of an exclusive Xbox game is playable offline and then it isn't, that doesn't qualify as a simple mistake. Credibility must count for something.

I've been trying to find out for a while if Spartan Ops is playable offline. So when the OFFICIAL XBOX MAGAZINE told me it is, I made the mistake of believing them. I feel like one of the major reasons I bought this game is now unavailable to me. I appreciate the apology, Edwin, but that article wasn't just misleading. It directly stated that Spartan Ops is "entirely playable offline".

As disappointed as I am with OXM, I'm even more disappointed in the developers of Halo 4. Halo was always one of the best experiences for offline players, because everything was playable offline and/or in splitscreen, without the need for an online connection. Now, for the first time, I feel excluded. That sucks.
Lancer Armstrong 23

Postby kronk10 » 07 Nov 2012, 09:14

Lancer Armstrong wrote:When the OFFICIAL XBOX MAGAZINE tells you that a major part of an exclusive Xbox game is playable offline and then it isn't, that doesn't qualify as a simple mistake. Credibility must count for something.

I've been trying to find out for a while if Spartan Ops is playable offline. So when the OFFICIAL XBOX MAGAZINE told me it is, I made the mistake of believing them. I feel like one of the major reasons I bought this game is now unavailable to me. I appreciate the apology, Edwin, but that article wasn't just misleading. It directly stated that Spartan Ops is "entirely playable offline".

As disappointed as I am with OXM, I'm even more disappointed in the developers of Halo 4. Halo was always one of the best experiences for offline players, because everything was playable offline and/or in splitscreen, without the need for an online connection. Now, for the first time, I feel excluded. That sucks.

Did you read dgr1980 post its implied you need a xbox gold live subscription ! seriously how was this not going to be anything but a gold subscription deal! Also you never answered my question did you ! Why not email the developers? why not read some more reviews? Why feel the need to spit your dummy out because a game is not to your specific liking? Fair enough OXM cocked up but calling them all pricks is a bit harsh chap and i still have no idea how you go about buying games ? do you even read the back of the box? or do any research ? I really think you need to man up and next time think before you buy!
kronk10 41

Postby FishyGinger » 07 Nov 2012, 10:04

I'm ginger, think how excluded I feel.

As others have said though, check around before you buy with more than one source, or at least on the developers website if it's on there.
I have given pleasure to the world because I have such a beautiful ass.
FishyGinger 66

Postby kronk10 » 07 Nov 2012, 11:01

FishyGinger wrote:I'm ginger, think how excluded I feel.

As others have said though, check around before you buy with more than one source, or at least on the developers website if it's on there.

I always email the developer if i need a question answering and they more often than not email back, bethesda are great at answering my questions. I have checked and read previews and other reviews and they all say spartan ops is a multiplayer mode even the main halo review on OXM says this ! Also the times are changing and there are not many games that are just single player only and anyone who buys games today must factor in this little nugget when purchasing games. I would even go far as saying an xbox live subscription and internet connection are a must buy as you are generally missing out on so much content. Unfair to people who have not got internet connection but as those kind of gamers are the minority, game developers will always cater for online gamers that is just the way it is!
kronk10 41

Postby OXM ETboy » 07 Nov 2012, 11:04

He's perfectly within his rights, chaps. Slightly forceful wording, perhaps, but hey, I'd be annoyed too.

Microsoft is bound to release a Spartan Ops Season 1 CE at some point. Shame that Silver subscribers won't be able to play it...
OXM ETboy
OXM Staff

Postby FishyGinger » 07 Nov 2012, 11:32

OXM ETboy wrote:He's perfectly within his rights, chaps. Slightly forceful wording, perhaps, but hey, I'd be annoyed too.

Microsoft is bound to release a Spartan Ops Season 1 CE at some point. Shame that Silver subscribers won't be able to play it...

How many Hail Marys have you done this morning? It had better be a lot otherwise I'm getting my local nun to sodom you right in the gomorrah. And don't think she won't enjoy it.

It is always best to check more than one place though I find.
I have given pleasure to the world because I have such a beautiful ass.
FishyGinger 66

Postby Bezza89 » 07 Nov 2012, 11:47

I'm still quite shocked, it is completely obvious that the spartan ops have to be downloaded after the five that are on the disc, that is incredibly obvious as is the assumption you'd need gold because they are 'free'.

However, I'm shocked the five you do have aren't playable offline at all. I'm sure I'd read elsewhere it was err, doable, solo - so why the need for online? Did you install the second disc? Is that the problem or are they 100% online?
It's all in the game...
Bezza89 65

Postby kronk10 » 07 Nov 2012, 12:19

He is within his rights but the amount of people complaining about something or verbally attacking someone over something so trivial is just stupid! You are a few clicks away from all the information you could ever need yet instead of using it they do not and just let the keyboard warrior within come out fingers blazing.

Back on topic i will admit halo 4 has suddenly gotten less interesting now there is no firefight, i might buy it at some point for the single player but it looks like black ops 2 will get my money!
kronk10 41

Postby Lancer Armstrong » 07 Nov 2012, 13:03

Yes, kronk, I did read DGR1980's comment, but I'm not sure you did.

Obviously, the downloadable episodes will require a Gold Membership. However, like Bezza said, the 5 missions that are actually ON THE DISC should be playable offline. This is the same as, say, Firefight not being playable offline.

Like I said, the Halo games have always been good to the offline player. This is the first time a co-op mode is unavailable to me.

As for doing my research, various sources have implied (developers do a lot of implying these days, instead of just giving us the facts) that it is playable offline, even stating that it can be played in split-screen (which is usually an indication of offline play). I still wasn't sure, but when OXM (my main source for Xbox gaming info) outright said that it is "entirely playable offline", that seemed like a reliable bit of information.

Look, I was gonna buy the game anyway, because I'm a big Halo fan, but the last thing I expected was that ON-DISC missions would be unavailable to me. If I knew that, I would have waited until the price dropped. This is kinda like when Treyarch bragged that Black Ops would have bots, only for many eager buyers to find out that the bots are only accessible online. It's a joke, really. Gears of War is the only game franchise that has never let me down, in that regard.

As for calling the OXM guys pricks... Maybe my words were strong, but that's what happens when people feel disappointed and betrayed. They are no longer a reliable source of information to me.

But like I said, most of my anger and disappointment is targeted at 343 and Microsoft. I think Halo 4 is a damn good game, but I won't be pre-ordering the next one.
Lancer Armstrong 23

Next