to access exclusive content, comment on articles, win prizes and post on our forums. Not a member yet? Join now!

What's the most meaningless thing you've done in a videogame

Your comments on our articles.

It's all about the little nothings

There's been a lot of games about hoarding stuff lately, a lot of games where "what?" isn't as important as "how many?" Darksiders 2 throws you a new flavour of gauntlet, scythe or cape every five seconds, burying some serviceable combat mechanics beneath a mighty hummock of unlockables. Borderlands 2 is an inexhaustible font of swiftly-obsolete guns, each gaudier than the last, and when Assassin's Creed 3 isn't recreating the fall of British colonialism, it's ordering you to run around collecting eagle feathers and lumps of rabbit.... read more

What's the most meaningless thing you've done in a videogame

Postby EdDeRs1 » 09 Nov 2012, 19:22

oh do NOT get me started on my Skyrim accounts....
rule 1: im always right
rule 2: if im not, rule 1 applies
EdDeRs1 39

Re: What's the most meaningless thing you've done in a video

Postby pascalrisi » 09 Nov 2012, 19:34

I rather heroically collected every book in skyrim, you'd be surprised at how many good reads there are in there!
pascalrisi 6

Postby Plamsa wing » 09 Nov 2012, 19:52

It's hard to say really, I've had a level 51 Metapod back on Pokemon Blue, whose only move was "harden", that was more of a waste of time though. I collected all of the orbs in Crackdown 1, when I was nearly maxed out in all abilites too.

Most recent one I'd say is "stealing" all of the Gold Bars in Fallout: New Vegas: Dead Money (DLC), traveling by foot halfway around the wasteland, which took ages by the way, then never to actually use them in any shape or form. I've also collected one of each gun, item of clothing, etc and put them away in individual containers. (Misc, guns,etc.)

Same goes for Skyrim too, even got myself a shit ton of gems and ore for no reason at all.

Could be a case of video game Obsessive Collecting Disorder, rather than Obsessive Cleaning Disorder though. Or just a mixture of the two.

I've also played Angry Birds.
"Hey! Don't lob factual statements at me as if they're insults!"
Plamsa wing 54

Postby FishyGinger » 09 Nov 2012, 20:29

I've done that in New Vegas, had different chests for different items and tried to collect everything. No idea why though.

Most pointless thing though....owning a house in morrowind and collecting every single candle I came across and completely filld my house with the buggers. No wonder my character was a tanned dark elf, he started out as a high elf.
I have given pleasure to the world because I have such a beautiful ass.
FishyGinger 66

Postby falcon » 09 Nov 2012, 20:59

I spent at least three hours repeatedly playing the dice poker game in the Witcher 2 - I was trying to get the achievement for rolling five of a kind.

On another achievement hunt in Mass Effect I think I also spent a good while spamming biotic throw on a crate.....

When it comes to achievements, I think I may have a problem!
falcon 16

Postby Dowgle » 10 Nov 2012, 02:27

Mini-Games (particularly card ones) seem to suck me in like a black hole. I spent hours on both Fallout's Caravan game and Rage's Card Game. For what exactly? A few in game credits and maybe a 10G achievement. When you come off your console and realise you have achieved precisely nothing since you turned it on 4 hours ago other than handing some AI his ass in a game of cards 68 times, it's hardly an empowering feeling.

As a sidebar, whats the point of Minecraft? This isn't some anti-Minecraft hate rant or anything. I actually own the game and enjoy playing it, but I just wanted to raise the point that sometimes pointlessness is a good thing. In Minecraft you gather, for what exactly? To survive to the next day and gather some more...? Minecraft is the ideal example or a game where pointlessness works. Give people nothing to do and some will use their imagination. Look at some of the amazing things that have been done on Minecraft because there was no 'story' forcing you forward. Just something to think about....
Dowgle 31

Postby Caligulove » 10 Nov 2012, 03:28

During Assassins Creed 2 I collected 99 feathers and after days of scouring the streets of Venice, would likely have traded my soul for the 100th had Ned offered.

Never found it, never got my 1000pts, just wasted hour after hour instead... not that I'm bitter.
Caligulove 31

Postby severedize » 10 Nov 2012, 08:57

Good call with the dark souls pendant, especially considering the amount of time people have invested looking for a purposeful use, myself included. My most meaningless game exploits are prestiging and spending hours trying to fly myself around on BF3's M.O.V even after patches.
severedize 11

Postby severedize » 10 Nov 2012, 09:21

M.A.V
severedize 11

Postby stryder84 » 10 Nov 2012, 10:57

I would have to say goingfrom one end of cyrodil to the other...on foot....naked....my thumb felt like it was ready to fall off after that
AK-47? nah 2 swords and shout will do me
stryder84 29

Postby Cyberstormz » 10 Nov 2012, 11:33

It would have to be going round cyrodil finding every location and closeing every oblivion gate on foot
Cyberstormz 11

Postby bamozzy » 10 Nov 2012, 12:06

In some cases - just playing it was the most meaningless thing!!! :evil:

I have done MANY meaningless thing in various games! I have spent hours creating a character never to see the face or front as I end up in 3rd person view, MANY hours spent creating something meaningless in general! Spent hours wandering aimlessly around levels/worlds. Even just sat/stood there admiring the scenery/graphics etc!

In fact some Achievements are because of doing 'meaningless' things in game!
As Confucius said 'Man who keeps hands in pockets feels Cocky all day'... ;-)

bamozzy 61

Postby fracturedrich » 10 Nov 2012, 13:51

This is easy ,spending countless hours driving round maple valley in forza 4 ,convinced ime good enough to break that world record and not even coming close.I might count horde in gears of war 2 ,how many lost hours on that one and for what.Oh and deleting 50 hour save on dark souls because my helpers killed ornstein first in dark souls,to do it all again to only wear his armour for 2 min,then deciding i did not even like it.I could go on and on ,great topic by the way.
fracturedrich 46

Postby GallifreyDog » 11 Nov 2012, 16:33

Biked from Grove Street to San Fierro in GTA: San Andreas. BMX was just so fun, probably the fastest vehicle in the game if you tapped A fast enough.
GallifreyDog 26

Postby ChillieBonBon » 11 Nov 2012, 20:18

In red dead redemption I spent all my money on getting drunk and seeing how far I could then walk without falling over. Also spending hours finding a commercial plane on Just Cause 2 just so I could do a loop in it.
If a cluttered desk is the sign of of a cluttered mind, what is an empty desk a sign of?
ChillieBonBon 24

Next