to access exclusive content, comment on articles, win prizes and post on our forums. Not a member yet? Join now!

Rockstar boss drops massive GTA 5 story spoiler

Your comments on our articles.

Also, GTA is "a British response to Americana"

The New York Times has published a rather interesting interview with Dan Houser in which, among other things, the Rockstar co-founder manages to heavily spoil the plot of Grand Theft Auto 5.... read more

Rockstar boss drops massive GTA 5 story spoiler

Postby CunningSmile » 12 Nov 2012, 15:36

On the one hand this is a bit of a dick move, on the other market research and achievement data from previous GTA games show only something like 30% of people ever get to the end of a GTA game (guilty of that myself through either boredom or difficulty spikes, foe some reason never had that with Bully or RDR) so most people would never have found this out.

Next question is in what way is this guy the antagonist? Are we talking a criminal with his own plans or an undercover FIB agent?
What do you get when you cross a joke with a rhetorical question?
CunningSmile 68
OXM Moderator

Re: Rockstar boss drops massive GTA 5 story spoiler

Postby RyanGowran » 12 Nov 2012, 15:45

i hope the three character thing works out ive always loved how the games have gone playing as just the one character

and i hope they release a screenshot of the map
RyanGowran 23

Postby GHOSTY05 » 12 Nov 2012, 15:50

Sounds good, i like the idea of one minute being the good guy and having the choice to switch to a bad guy!

Although i am still not happy they have taken out the property buying aspect of the game. :evil:
GHOSTY05 39

Postby mariachi2000 » 12 Nov 2012, 17:24

I'm hoping a story with similarities to 'The Departed' would be a great way of interlinking the three characters...

(For those who haven't seen it... it includes both a gangster undercover in the police and a policeman undercover in gang)
mariachi2000 37

Postby GHOSTY05 » 12 Nov 2012, 17:50

mariachi2000 wrote:I'm hoping a story with similarities to 'The Departed' would be a great way of interlinking the three characters...

(For those who haven't seen it... it includes both a gangster undercover in the police and a policeman undercover in gang)

An amazing film!
GHOSTY05 39

Postby Jabraham » 12 Nov 2012, 18:26

Noooo i looked
Jabraham 35

Postby ipsofacto » 12 Nov 2012, 19:03

exactly what I'd hoped for!
ipsofacto 42

Postby Jabraham » 12 Nov 2012, 19:41

Although i didn't like the idea of having more than one character at first i think im coming around and if done correctly which im certain it will be could really add depth to the characters
Jabraham 35

Postby Bezza89 » 14 Nov 2012, 12:30

Hey Ed, I thought I'd put a point of view to this - it's not a spoiler at all. How obvious is it that the character that acts as the antagonist is going to be Trevor, a) He looks evil, b) he is described as being vile, psychotic etc - take this quote from the guardian who are quoting Dan Houser;

And then out of nowhere, the idea of Trevor came to us. He is the guy who does everything awful, relentlessly! He has his own charm, but he … he's a relentless maker of mischief. Not without some principles though, but totally different principles to Michael – an exact opposite take on what it means to be a protagonist in a GTA world. Michael is more about ego and Trevor is more about id, I suppose".

Now they aren't saying you are explicitly playing someone who is the antagonist, more rather a different, fresh take on the gta world, with Franklin described as the typical protagonist, and Michael a man at the end of his career, acting as mentor. Anyway, it seems we are being very informed about it, rather than it being a spoiler - and I don't know about anyone else but as soon as I saw Trevor I thought he looked evil.
It's all in the game...
Bezza89 65

Postby Clanger67 » 14 Nov 2012, 12:45

:lol: I thought Mitch was in it,what has happened to all the mentions of Mitch.Unless he isn't in it now too busy in his cellar,lol.
Cry havoc ! and let slip the dogs of war.
Clanger67 60

Postby Bezza89 » 14 Nov 2012, 12:55

They changed his name to Trevor apparently, he looks like him.
It's all in the game...
Bezza89 65

Postby Clanger67 » 14 Nov 2012, 13:10

Personally i prefer Mitch (no offense to any Trevor's out there).
Cry havoc ! and let slip the dogs of war.
Clanger67 60

Postby GallifreyDog » 17 Nov 2012, 19:17

I think there could be a twist where Michael screws Franklin and Trevor over - he got into the FIB Witness Protection programme after ratting out his old heist buddies, so he might do the same thing again.
GallifreyDog 26

Postby SeriousBeef47 » 19 Nov 2012, 01:10

I love this idea of playing as the protaganist and antagonist and I've been racking my brains about theories about who it could be.

I have this one theory that it might be Franklin who betrays the others. Being the youngest and newest to a criminal life Franklin wants to raise to the top as quick as possible. What i think Rock* will do is to have Franklin offered a similar deal that Michael has with the FIB so he can a life just like Michael's.
SeriousBeef47 13