to access exclusive content, comment on articles, win prizes and post on our forums. Not a member yet? Join now!

Mass Effect 4 runs on Frostbite 2, shares "systems" with Dra

Your comments on our articles.

BioWare "exploring new directions" with gameplay and story

BioWare Montreal is lead developer on the next Mass Effect game, studio director Yanick Roy has announced. The game will stay true to predecessors in the shape of "diverse alien races, a huge galaxy to explore and of course rich, cinematic storytelling", but will move the series forward in other respects, incorporating systems from the recently announced Dragon Age 3: Inquisition.... read more

Postby Plamsa wing » 12 Nov 2012, 18:45

We know you have high expectations for the franchise and we want to make sure whatever we show you lives up to those expectations.

So disappointment then?

On a more serious note: After Dragon Age 2 and Mass Effect 3, I shall believe it when I see it, that goes for both Dragon Age 3 and Mass Effect 4. Right now, Bioware are near the bottom of the hill for me.
"Hey! Don't lob factual statements at me as if they're insults!"
Plamsa wing 54

Postby YoungTobias » 12 Nov 2012, 18:52

Won't matter. As long as Hudson and Walters are still in charge, no amount of technical advancement will make a blind bit of difference. They could get Spielberg to direct it and Wall and Baxter to edit it, it won't matter. You can't make chicken soup out of chicken shite. Hudson and Walters are now officially the kiss of death for any game's story before it's even begun the conceptual stage. Hudson especially shouldn't be allowed within ten metres of BioWare HQ after the damage he's done, not just to the games but to the company's PR. Get rid of this destructive, arrogant, pompous hack and hire someone who actually has a clue how to write a story at foundation level instead of throwing a bunch of vague histrionic non-sequitors into a ten-minute sequence and then hiding behind the 'art' defence when fans aren't happy. Until then, you could literally make this the most beautiful, well-acted and well-controlling game ever made, and it will automatically be a complete write-off from a narrative standpoint because the cancer is still malignant.
No longer active due to sustained abuse from other members of the site due to disagreeing with my opinions for reasons they're too lazy to articulate. Enjoy letting the press continue to do your thinking for you while the industry crumbles.
YoungTobias 19

Re: Mass Effect 4 runs on Frostbite 2, shares "systems" with

Postby Waffles2541 » 12 Nov 2012, 19:00

Oh here we go again, another forum for people to endlessly bitch about how bad bioware did.

While i have never really been a fan of Dragon Age I have absolutely loved all the ME games. Everyone keeps moaning that their choices didn't matter in the end or i wanted blue babies blah blah blah. A sad ending was great, and honestly did you really expect that all your choices were going to contribute towards a different ending, its not technically feasible. Plus the similarities in the endings mean that it will be far easier for them to create a sequel for it.

Plus it is their choice. People are still demanding a new ending for the game when in reality the extended cut is all they are getting. Its their game, they can pick whatever ending they want for it.

Fingers crossed that it is a sequel, i don't really want to play past events as i already know the outcome. Plus i would like some expansion on the multiplayer side of things, would be great.
I had fun once, it was awful.
Waffles2541 39

Postby voodoo1102 » 12 Nov 2012, 19:07

Waffles2541 wrote:Fingers crossed that it is a sequel, i don't really want to play past events as i already know the outcome.

Sorry to pick out one point from your post, but I wanted to ask if you've played Halo: Reach? That was a return to "past" events, with a certain outcome, and it was still (I reckon anyway) a better game than Halos 3 and 4. Each to his/her own and all that, but its an example that you might already know the destination, but the journey can still be fun.
voodoo1102 35

Postby Bezza89 » 12 Nov 2012, 19:31

I think playing before would be cool, what with humanity and their 30 year ride to the councillor position and other races like Volus, Elcor etc watching flabberghasted, it would be cool to play Turians with the hatred toward humanity and jealously of their progress, or as humans after the first contact war trying to make a name for themselves. I don't think the first contact war would be any good to make an entire game out of as a lot of people suggest - but it'd make a great prologue. Then you just dollop polotics and conspiracies aplenty to account for the unusually quick heirarchy climb humans did. Did you hear about the cheese monster conspiracy? They say humans were murdered and brought swift... or 'swiss' justice to a noble race... of cheese people... who turned into monsters... who munched... monster munch, I must buy some monster munch.
It's all in the game...
Bezza89 65

Postby Decent_Jam » 12 Nov 2012, 19:48

voodoo1102 wrote:
Waffles2541 wrote:Fingers crossed that it is a sequel, i don't really want to play past events as i already know the outcome.

Sorry to pick out one point from your post, but I wanted to ask if you've played Halo: Reach? That was a return to "past" events, with a certain outcome, and it was still (I reckon anyway) a better game than Halos 3 and 4. Each to his/her own and all that, but its an example that you might already know the destination, but the journey can still be fun.

A very valid point, I haven't played Halo 4 but I definitely prefered Reach to 3, though I suspect I played more 3 multi in all, but that includes the ODST Mythic disc so I suppose that doesn't count.

Anyway, I think a new start is exactly what this franchise needs. Fair enough the ending blah blah yada etc, but at the end of the day I enjoyed all three games, increasingly in terms of actual gameplay, and so I'd like to see the team push the envelope and really make a team worthy of next gen.

The vagueness of description makes me think it could be more of an MMO, which to be honest I'd be happy with, or even a coop option - imagine having human squad mates in missions?! Obviously it should always remain a personal story at heart and so the players who are guests in your game don't get to make story decisions and such but generally I could have a lot of fun playing along like that.

I hope they get some of the vocal talent back, even if they do different characters, because I think there's a lot of character just from the voices and that is absolutely key to the franchise's success.

Also Frostbite 2 is fantastic so I can see it only doing good things for ME4.
Decent_Jam

Game: GT - "Decent Jam"
Tweet: @James_Parry
Email: jamesmparry87@gmail.com
Site - This Is Entertainment: http://jamesmparry.wordpress.com/

Xbox One : Titanfall, Battlefield 4, Killer Instinct, Forza 5, head to OXM Nights for a meet up.
Decent_Jam 58

Postby ChillieBonBon » 12 Nov 2012, 19:56

I think that mass effect 4 should either take place when the promethens were being wiped out or happen a long time after the end of ME3, where the council travels to other galaxys and finds out that the Reapers still survive...

Annoyingly, this will never happen so i will just have to daydream about it.
If a cluttered desk is the sign of of a cluttered mind, what is an empty desk a sign of?
ChillieBonBon 24

Postby Bonescrubs » 12 Nov 2012, 20:54

Waffles2541 wrote:Oh here we go again, another forum for people to endlessly bitch about how bad bioware did.

I completely agree. While it may be true that Walters and Hudson were solely responsible for the ending as was - if Patrick Weekes' supposedly fake blog posts were accurate - that does not account for the clearly unfinished/unpolished game we were presented with. The fault there lies with EA in my opinion, pushing the already-delayed title out before the end of the fiscal year.

I have played ME3 once to conclusion. I was unhappy with the bugs and the ending, it felt rushed and nonsensical. I was very happy when BioWare announced the Extended Cut, that redeemed the company greatly in my eyes. They gave us the ending they originally intended to, as far as I can see. I haven't played the game again yet, but fully intend to, but only once all the single-player DLC is released. I want the "complete" game I suppose - I did the same with ME1 and 2, but not 3, and I regret it. Same with Borderlands 2 - won't be getting that title till after June 2013, once all the DLC is out.

ME3's "failure" in my eyes was a compromised artistic vision coupled with financial pressure. At least with the former, we were offered something by those people who gave a damn. It's a pity that two of them aren't there anymore.

As for Frostbite 2 - well any game can look fantastic on that engine. It's the jewel in DICE's crown. BF3 plays fantastically on it. As I'm sure ME4 will - wherever or whenever it is set.
Bonescrubs 12

Postby CunningSmile » 13 Nov 2012, 10:47

Bezza89 wrote:I think playing before would be cool, what with humanity and their 30 year ride to the councillor position and other races like Volus, Elcor etc watching flabberghasted, it would be cool to play Turians with the hatred toward humanity and jealously of their progress, or as humans after the first contact war trying to make a name for themselves. I don't think the first contact war would be any good to make an entire game out of as a lot of people suggest - but it'd make a great prologue. Then you just dollop polotics and conspiracies aplenty to account for the unusually quick heirarchy climb humans did. Did you hear about the cheese monster conspiracy? They say humans were murdered and brought swift... or 'swiss' justice to a noble race... of cheese people... who turned into monsters... who munched... monster munch, I must buy some monster munch.

I agree the First Contact War would be a bit boring to play but also agree that as a prologue it would work. Something similar to Babylon 5 set within a few years of a major conflict could be great, with simmering tensions and grudges interlaced with desires to work towards peace in the future.

I'd still like to see the flip side of the Mass Effect universe. We've played as a square jawed marine with the ear of the council, how about seeing the underbelly as a low level smuggler on Omega exploring all the parts of the galaxy that Shepard never saw (damn it I just want to be Han Solo)
What do you get when you cross a joke with a rhetorical question?
CunningSmile 68
OXM Moderator

Postby benwhitmore » 14 Nov 2012, 08:25

i dont want mass effect 4
the third one was supposed to end it and it was exellent :(
benwhitmore 11

Postby Waffles2541 » 15 Nov 2012, 13:45

voodoo1102 wrote:

True but Reach was an incredibly big event in the story line. You could do a First Contact War game but from the fiction that already exists about it you kind of get the clear picture. Reach was an unclear area with lots of possible plot they could add into it, were as FCW was to be honest a small event compared to that. Plus they couldn't really do some further back than that as they would be missing the most important race in the story, humanity. I'm sure lots happened in the twenty years between FCW and ME1, but it will never be on the same scale as the ME trilogy.

The future just has so much more potential, they could do one shortly after, or they could go hundred of years into the future and create (in a way) an entirely new universe.

Although saying that, a RTS spin-off that focused on all the different conflicts in the past thousand years would be pretty cool

(PS. Halo Reach was by far the best halo game)
I had fun once, it was awful.
Waffles2541 39

Postby magnetite » 17 Nov 2012, 08:33

Personally Mass Effect 4 should be a completely new game with new characters. No import from Mass Effect 3, since the trilogy is finished as said.

The conclusion to Mass Effect 3 is one of the biggest mind blowing endings I've ever seen. Sorry if some didn't understand it. The explanation is in the game if you were paying attention. Honestly people are getting worked up over nothing. I think a lot of people were going into Mass Effect 3 expecting too much from it.

As for blaming EA on everything with the ending, I think it's fair to say that the fans did have some part in the backlash. Maybe they wouldn't have been so outraged if they paid attention and picked up on the clues to understand what the ending was. Bioware's CM's even hinted that the answers to explain the ending are in the game if you are looking for them.

I remember reading that Weekes' comment was actually made by an imposter or a troll.

Although getting back to Mass Effect 4. One thing I would like from the game aside from new characters is high resolution textures. With the new consoles coming out in 2014 or so, there is no reason to have low resolution, highly compressed textures in this day and age.
magnetite 3

Postby Bonescrubs » 17 Nov 2012, 21:38

magnetite wrote:The conclusion to Mass Effect 3 is one of the biggest mind blowing endings I've ever seen. Sorry if some didn't understand it. The explanation is in the game if you were paying attention. Honestly people are getting worked up over nothing. I think a lot of people were going into Mass Effect 3 expecting too much from it.

Sorry to rain on the parade that is your very first post, but I have to ask i f you were playing the same game as everyone else. There was a lot wrong with the ending of the game. Players actually expected it to make sense, have some coherence. It had neither. For instance there was no explanation as to where the Normandy was going or how the crew were suddenly picked up. The fact that the destruction of a mass relay actually destroys the system it is located in (as shown in the ME2: Arrival DLC) was also completely ignored, or meant that Shepard actually wiped out many of the races (s)he was trying to save.

magnetite wrote:As for blaming EA on everything with the ending, I think it's fair to say that the fans did have some part in the backlash. Maybe they wouldn't have been so outraged if they paid attention and picked up on the clues to understand what the ending was. Bioware's CM's even hinted that the answers to explain the ending are in the game if you are looking for them.

You're dismissing the fans' concerns out of hand. Blaming them for not understanding the ending presumably due to their ignorance is pretty shameful. As for looking for clues as to the meaning of the ending - why would a player be looking for them to begin with in order to understand an ending they had no idea would be like on their first playthrough until they actually got there? Your argument makes no sense. The fact that BioWare actually listened to their fans' criticisms of the endings and actually made them a damn sight clearer and fulfilling with the Extended Cut - without actually altering their artistic vision - says a lot as to the form they originally took.

magnetite wrote:I remember reading that Weekes' comment was actually made by an imposter or a troll.

That was the line that EA and BioWare took. Doesn't mean it was true.

Bolded word? Go figure.
Bonescrubs 12

Postby CunningSmile » 18 Nov 2012, 12:41

Bonescrubs wrote:
magnetite wrote:The conclusion to Mass Effect 3 is one of the biggest mind blowing endings I've ever seen. Sorry if some didn't understand it. The explanation is in the game if you were paying attention. Honestly people are getting worked up over nothing. I think a lot of people were going into Mass Effect 3 expecting too much from it.

Sorry to rain on the parade that is your very first post, but I have to ask i f you were playing the same game as everyone else. There was a lot wrong with the ending of the game. Players actually expected it to make sense, have some coherence. It had neither. For instance there was no explanation as to where the Normandy was going or how the crew were suddenly picked up. The fact that the destruction of a mass relay actually destroys the system it is located in (as shown in the ME2: Arrival DLC) was also completely ignored, or meant that Shepard actually wiped out many of the races (s)he was trying to save.

He isn't alone in thinking the ending was good. I personally found it a little truncated, but the extended cut was good. There are many other people on here that have championed the ending for various reasons since the game was first released so magnetite certainly isn't alone, just possibly outnumbered.
What do you get when you cross a joke with a rhetorical question?
CunningSmile 68
OXM Moderator

Postby Alaric14 » 18 Nov 2012, 22:20

That's a good point about HALO: Reach Voodoo, there would also be a lot less margin for error when the writing teams covered their source materials as they have definite beginnings and endings in place already.

I would like to see more of the Turians during the Krogan Rebellions. That sounded like one hell of a savage war and it would be interesting to see how Turian society coped when they found themselves against a never-ending surge of giant predatory lizards. Players could take the role of a Turian military leader or key soldier (not unlike the role we had with Shepard) who has to deal with all the damage, liaise with the Council races, and possibly form a unique kind of Turian task force to strike at locations around the galaxy.
Animator, writer, and NPC molester.
Alaric14 35

Next