to access exclusive content, comment on articles, win prizes and post on our forums. Not a member yet? Join now!

Win the Greatest Video Game Music album #2

Your comments on our articles.

Tell us about your favourite videogame soundtrack

I once asked Kristofor Mellroth, audio designer on Condemned: Criminal Origins, for his favourite specimen of videogame audio. Condemned, in case you've yet to have the pleasure, sounds like a couple of mating Neanderthals lodged in a sewage pipe, so it was a shock to discover that Mellroth's rather keen on the comparatively cheery Angry Birds. "They created an incredibly iconic experience," he explained. "So if you hear one sound from Angry Birds people immediately know it's Angry Birds - that's really hard to do."... read more

Win the Greatest Video Game Music album #2

Postby CunningSmile » 13 Nov 2012, 15:10

Not sure if it needs the orchestral treatment as it's pretty orchestral already but my favorite sound track has to be Red Dead Redemption. The Ennio Moriconne style score just instantly brings to mind spagetti westerns and effortlessly feeds into the atmosphere the visuals are creating in a way I've never felt as strongly in a game. Whether it's the low key background music as you gallop across the plains or the cinematic creshendos of the key missions I could listen to it for hours.
What do you get when you cross a joke with a rhetorical question?
CunningSmile 68
OXM Moderator

Re: Win the Greatest Video Game Music album #2

Postby Clanger67 » 13 Nov 2012, 15:24

Anything by Bethesda,Oblivion especially and Skyrim eventhough some is carried over from Oblivion.Also Fallout 3 their music always adds to the game for me and really help you to get into character.In Oblivion sometimes i was just happy to run aimlessly around the countryside with the music playing and the lovely scenery. :D
Cry havoc ! and let slip the dogs of war.
Clanger67 60

Postby ItchyRash » 13 Nov 2012, 15:27

Can I still win if I tell you that, where possible, I switch off the music in every game i play? I can't stand it. Everyone I know raved about Red Dead. No idea. Switched that one off as well. I have dealt with it in Halo games and can deal with it in RPG's (especially of the Japanese kind) but other than that, not a chance. What a great way to ruin the immersion. Do you think Homicide Detectives have a soundtrack to their work? When I'm playing a game, trying to get immersed in that world, I just can't if some music is playing along in the background. Especially with these modern military shooters. Why go to all that trouble to make your game as realistic as possible and then pretend like an orchestra is following your crack team around. GET RID OF GAME MUSIC I SAY. GET RID!!!!!!
ItchyRash 42

Postby ConVito » 13 Nov 2012, 15:34

I'd love to see either of these fully orchestrated:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J67nkzoJ_2M (Stickerbrush Symphony from DKC2)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TsbV5mkNLsE (Bayou Boogie from DKC2)

Would have put Time's Scar from Chrono Cross, since it's the single greatest piece of video game music ever created, but it's already orchestral.
ConVito 2

Postby Majorasblaze » 13 Nov 2012, 15:38

The Machinarium soundtrack by Tomas Dvorak is astounding, and hearing that performed on stage might elevate me to another plane of existence. Full of little moments and riffs, it's totally unconventional and carries so much joy and at times emotional weight. 'The Glasshouse with Butterfly' is a tiny, subtle and unassuming song that is like a brief moment of beautiful clarity that never lasts long enough.
Majorasblaze 7

Postby FishyGinger » 13 Nov 2012, 15:39

Oh dear Rashy. That's a bit (what's a synonym for rash?) isn't it?

If done badly I agree but in most games I think it adds to it, like oblivion as clanger said. I found some of the music in AC2 very good particularly.
I have given pleasure to the world because I have such a beautiful ass.
FishyGinger 66

Postby Clanger67 » 13 Nov 2012, 15:39

Wow what a stupid idea that is Itchy.I don't think music really belongs in some shooters but Rpg's and defintley racing games.Most of the time they really set the tone and mood for me just like in a good film.Plus the detective might have music on the case if he had his i pod with him. :lol:
Clanger67 60

Postby 05mknort » 13 Nov 2012, 15:50

This one is easy, after Lionhead slowly suck away everything that makes the "Fable" series great, the soundtrack still stay ssolid, the Fable games (but in particular the first Fable and Fable 3) have some beautiufl pieces that I would love to hear on album like this one!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0STS6xDQW7I

Might just go for a tour of Albion now to get my music fix!
05mknort 27

Postby supersmashdan » 13 Nov 2012, 16:01

Since most current gen game music is orchestrated already, and a lot of older game music has been orchestrated by Video Games Live and other similar productions, it's tough to say what I'd most like to hear orchestrated. A big part of me wants to say Simon's Theme from Castlevania IV, or a medley of the Castlevania IV music, because it is so overlooked, and it's rarely been done before (if at all - the popular themes from SotN and Castlevania I through III get the most attention). On the other hand, I'd also really like to see the closing credits to Street Fighter X Tekken (2:17 onwards http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BBTvFcqA7NI ) with a real, live orchestra, because it is completely different to a recording with midi VST instruments, and I think the music itself is very powerful and moving - that coupled with a full orchestra live performance could be absolutely amazing. So that's my selection - make of it what you will :)
supersmashdan 1

Postby ItchyRash » 13 Nov 2012, 16:01

I knew it's be controversial but I just despise it. I can't stand it. Ok, I agree Elder Scrolls is good for the score but apart from them it so much better when it's off. Dead Space was so much more atmospheric when it was just the noises of the ship. I think the one time I had it on I knew something was about to happen when the music ramped up a notch and it ruined everything. That's the worst part, when it suddenly goes into overdrive moments before the action ramps up. God it annoys me. Nothing worse. I say that but in context it's fine. Driving around in GTA with music on is fine, because I would be listening to music while driving around. It's just 99% of other times when it just feels so tacked on and grating. And in a driving game like Forza or Project Gothem back in the day it's even worse. A) because racing drivers wouldn't have some shit rock band playing in their ears and B) because I can't concentrate on actually driving. I can't explain it any better. I don't mind film scores. Just in a game I tend to be playing for as much realism and immersian as possible, even in the most fantastical universe. I want to feel like i'm actually there and music ruins that for me
ItchyRash 42

Postby Clanger67 » 13 Nov 2012, 17:01

Yeah i agree the music can spoil it in some games like Dead Space but then there is usually something nasty going off around every corner anyway.Most arcade racers i like to have music like Burnout,NFS.Also something like SSX or Tony Hawk as that would just be like you skateboarding or skiing with a personal music player on you.Personally though i think most games would be shit without it plus like you said you can always turn it off but the music should always be there in the first place.
Clanger67 60

Postby Kezamundo » 13 Nov 2012, 17:08

Mass Effect 3. The soundtrack to this great game is full of emotion for those tough to make decisions and romantic moments. It adds tension to the big fights and major plot lines and all in all really adds to the game. I wasn't 100% sure on the original ending to the game(like a million other people) but after I had finished the campaign I didn't go round moaning to my friends about it. I told them that it has one of the best game soundtracks I have ever experienced.
Favourite track from the soundtrack has to be Vigil. The song from the menu of Mass Effect 1 and used in 2 and 3. I would happily sit in the main menu of Mass Effect 1 and just listen to it. It sounds beautiful and makes me think of Space, being surrounded by stars and it's so relaxing. I would LOVE to hear the LPO play that!
Kezamundo 2

Postby NinthGeorgesw » 13 Nov 2012, 17:21

I would have to suggest the whistle theme from Deadly Premonition. It may be highly repetitive, and completely out-of-place with the scenes it's used in, but it is incredibly catchy. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5OUP_Z3iZPs.
Last edited by NinthGeorgesw on 13 Nov 2012, 17:30, edited 1 time in total.
NinthGeorgesw 42

Postby JCHN » 13 Nov 2012, 17:26

Definitely the Mass Effect 2 soundtrack, but more particularly, the Suicide Mission track. It is jist a perfect soundtrack. It fills you with soooo many emotions all at once. Hope, fear, love and generally being excited. It perfectly sets the scene for the game, which is essentially a tale of finding hope even when it looks like all is lost against a mysterious threat. It is just one of those soundtracks that you can listen to over and over.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e2z28mutY1E
JCHN 56

Postby EdDeRs1 » 13 Nov 2012, 17:30

simple, the Halo theme with Steve Via on guitar, although not always listed as so he is the one doing the badass solo http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=om0M6Ol8FjQ
rule 1: im always right
rule 2: if im not, rule 1 applies
EdDeRs1 39

Next