to access exclusive content, comment on articles, win prizes and post on our forums. Not a member yet? Join now!

A missed chance for Xbox: Microsoft could have blocked the s

Your comments on our articles.

Key motion control company originally offered license to Xbox team

CVG's Rob Crossley has just published a devastatingly good write-up of the Wii's creation, success and slow decline, drawing on exclusive comment from the likes of former Nintendo of America head George Harrison. No, not as in My Sweet Lord. Why should you, Xbox-obsessed to the point of insanity, care? Because in the process he's turned up some interesting information about the origin of motion control gaming in general, and in particular, Microsoft's access to the same.... read more

A missed chance for Xbox: Microsoft could have blocked the s

Postby Plamsa wing » 14 Nov 2012, 16:56

Better!

Before anyone else gets it in. :wink:
"Hey! Don't lob factual statements at me as if they're insults!"
Plamsa wing 54

Re: A missed chance for Xbox: Microsoft could have blocked t

Postby FishyGinger » 14 Nov 2012, 17:22

Interesting question. Nintendo could have slipped by the wayside perhaps or gone handheld only. Microsoft and Sony might not have bothered with avatars or motion controls, half life 3 could have been released.

I do like the wii, but not due to the wiggly waggler.
I have given pleasure to the world because I have such a beautiful ass.
FishyGinger 66

Postby Worthies » 14 Nov 2012, 19:19

I am not a big fan of the Wii, as the games that it has are mostly for the family/casual market, and it only ever gets used when family with young children come to visit. Needless to say, the technology in the console is of a very similar specs to the original Xbox which was released half a decade earlier and it would be incapable of running most of the games I play anyway.
I am also not a huge fan of Nintendo with its endless recycling of Mario and Co.
However had Microsoft used the technology instead of Nintendo, then the Xbox that I know and love would be very different, and that would be a real shame.
So in that respect, I am glad Microsoft didn't take it, but it could of bought out the tech and used it much later on in the Xbox's life much like that of Kinect.
Worthies 28

Postby Decent_Jam » 14 Nov 2012, 20:27

Undeniably the Wii is fun to play and some games on there I would have had far less fun at Uni/home without.

However I agree that largely the motion control hasn't been used to it's fullest potential and as a result it shines best as a party games machine.

If the Wii hadn't existed I would never have played Resident Evil 4, and that would be a shame.
Decent_Jam

Game: GT - "Decent Jam"
Tweet: @James_Parry
Email: jamesmparry87@gmail.com
Site - This Is Entertainment: http://jamesmparry.wordpress.com/

Xbox One : Titanfall, Battlefield 4, Killer Instinct, Forza 5, head to OXM Nights for a meet up.
Decent_Jam 58

Postby Branhelm » 14 Nov 2012, 20:31

I'm glad that it went tot he Wii instead. Personally i prefer to play games with a controller in my hand. That's why i have yet to invest in a kinect (although some titles, mainly fable: the journey and gunstringer do look promising, hoping for more like those before i buy it though). The Wii has done really well for family games and i don't think that the Xbox would be what it is today if it went in that direction itself. I'd hate to think of some parallel universe where Nintendo died, Microsoft did family games and Sony fan boys won the war :lol:

Joking aside i think that, while they did it in a rude fashion, it was a good move on Microsoft's part.
Branhelm 24

Postby OXM ETboy » 14 Nov 2012, 21:54

The Wii gave me Super Mario Galaxy, Boom Blox and Red Steel 2, and for those games I'll be eternally grateful. Other than that, though, I haven't touched it. Mind you, I hear they've released a couple of decent JRPGs for the thing lately...
OXM ETboy
OXM Staff

Postby schwepterbrowser » 14 Nov 2012, 22:48

My Wii has been criminally underused, even for a Wii. I haven't played a single Nintendo game on it (Mario, Zelda, Metroid, etc.) and I've only put any real time into 3 games: Manhunt 2 (shit), Madworld (alright) and RE4 (ace, but had already played it several times on GC). I can't stand JRPGs, so I don't mind having skipped those, but I do wish I'd actually bothered to get the few other decent games for it rather than dismissing the console all together after buying it at launch.

Did have some good fun playing the original Raving Rabbids with the family when I first got it, though.
schwepterbrowser 54

Postby FishyGinger » 15 Nov 2012, 10:11

I've got quite a few to get through still. Xenoblade, metroid trilogy, paper mario (pretty much all that have been released), galaxy 2, red steel 2 and a few others. Really enjoyed skyward sword, galaxy, got half way through monster hunter which is rock hard, donkey kong country I play when I'm back at my brothers. Some very good games on it indeed, shame there was so much crap too.
I have given pleasure to the world because I have such a beautiful ass.
FishyGinger 66

Postby Thos. » 15 Nov 2012, 11:59

The Wii has keep the games industry buoyant.
It's introduced a new generation of young kids to gaming.
Features on the Wii have been copied by the Xbox.
Having a range of consoles ensures competition, which keeps prices down.
The controller was a daring experiment which paid off.

I can't think of a single way the Wii has been detrimental to gaming.
Thos. 43

Postby Notblad » 15 Nov 2012, 12:20

I am absolutely certain that had there been no wii, there would not have been a Kinect sensor. And that would have been a shame since family and party games that use the Kinect make such a nice addition to the overall XBox experience.
Notblad 20

Postby pauloselhombre » 15 Nov 2012, 13:26

Well, personally I think the Wii had a very positive effect on the gaming industry. If Microsoft had bought the license for the tech that became the Wii's motion control system, there's a good chance they would have just sat on it and waiting until 'the time was right'. Nintendo were the ideal company for this to end up with really, as they've always been quite happy to take risks.

As it happens, their risk mostly paid off, and essentially forced MS and Sony to seriously consider alternative control schemes. Now, even the most hardened Kinect or PS Move hater would be being rather disingenuous if they were to claim that motion control doesn't have the potential to change the way we play games in a positive way. Sure, for every Skyward Sword, the Wii had about a hundred 'waggle the stick on cue' titles, but when a developer got those controls right, it really did improve the experience.

Now, Kinect hasn't quite managed that yet (as much as I loved Rise Of Nightmares, I concede that it would have been much less 'idiosyncratic' if it had used a Wii-nunchuck style controller for movement and a button for picking up items. Whether to use buttons or gestures for opening doors is a matter of personal preference really), and PS Move has been hampered by relatively low uptake that has sadly kept a lot of developers from taking the risk of implementing it in any significant way. Despite these shaky implementations and logistical stumbling blocks, there is still a lot of potential in motion control, it's just up to developers to make use of it, and hardware manufacturers to provide an environment where it's safe for the devs to take those risks (ie, don't make your motion control solution ridiculously expensive or require the purchase of several different pieces).
pauloselhombre 26