to access exclusive content, comment on articles, win prizes and post on our forums. Not a member yet? Join now!

The OXM Breakdown - Women in Videogames

Your comments on our articles.

"My favourite button is X because who needs a Y chromosome?"

Women in videogames: apparently this is a Thing. Log has made a video about that Thing with a little help from card-carrying woman Alice Scoble-Rees, and it's not the lofty exercise in White Knighting you're probably expecting. These are murky waters. Jump in.... read more

The OXM Breakdown - Women in Videogames

Postby Clanger67 » 15 Nov 2012, 12:41

:lol: Good old Log again,that sight is gonna stick with me the rest of the year though,Log in a dress!!!! with a hairy chest and beard,lol.

Women gamers are great and there should be loads more.I have had a couple of girlfriends who were heavily into gaming like me and you can't beat it.
Cry havoc ! and let slip the dogs of war.
Clanger67 60

Re: The OXM Breakdown - Women in Videogames

Postby FishyGinger » 15 Nov 2012, 13:01

Michael Jackson could, if he weren't dead.
I have given pleasure to the world because I have such a beautiful ass.
FishyGinger 66

Postby msbhvn » 15 Nov 2012, 13:05

I have that exact beard, but the non-grey bits are darker brown! :D

But Log has more hair than me. :(

Great video, nice to see Alice there and put a face to the name. Of course Strawman Matt's scarily vacant facial expression will haunt my nightmares for the next month, so thanks for that.
I don't get the appeal at all. Like what do they do... say something stupid then read the replies while they touch themselves? - Vampyre_Ghost on trolls.
msbhvn 66

Postby Grummy » 15 Nov 2012, 13:55

BOOBIES!

Another great video, unfortunately you disproved your own argument because Alice was very modestly covered up. No objectification there at all (not a complaint, just an observation).

Also have to argue against the Bioshock Infinite argument, again. It's not a sexualisation thing, Femininity and feminine pride are major themes in Infinite and Elizabeth is a focal point for those themes. A classically, perhaps even the most purely Female name available, a very feminine dress style, and obviously feminine features. It's a clear attempt to keep people aware of how feminine Elizabeth is, to androgynise her would be to weaken the theme. Also its worth noting that the corset traditionally warps the female body, enhancing cleavage, I wouldn't at all say Elizabeth is ridiculously endowed, and she isn't overly sexualised. And it's not just in Elizabeth, even the name of the place, Columbia, is feminine. Columbia is the name of the female form of America, the opposite of 'Uncle Sam' as it were.

A lot of games you can certainly pick on, but Infinite is not one of them.
One. Warrior. Nation.
Grummy 64
OXM Moderator

Postby Thos. » 15 Nov 2012, 13:57

How weird he was going for Charlie Brooker, if you look away from the screen it's a perfect Clarkson.
(And the lady sounds just like Dobby off of Peep Show)
Last edited by Thos. on 15 Nov 2012, 14:02, edited 1 time in total.
Thos. 43

Postby Clanger67 » 15 Nov 2012, 14:01

I bet Log knows Charlie Brooker from when he was Editor of pc Zone though.Thought i read somewhere Log has worked for them and pc Gamer until Charlie left and made it famous on telly.
Clanger67 60

Postby Plamsa wing » 15 Nov 2012, 14:40

Women, where would we be without them? Besides being a bunch of lazier gits that is and slighty richer.

Now that you mention Bioshock, I still think Elizabeth looks like something out of a Disney film.

Anyway great video, unfortunately the only female gamers I know of are my sister and the boss, both of which don't like most of the games I like.

msbhvn wrote:I have that exact beard, but the non-grey bits are darker brown! :D

But Log has more hair than me. :(

Well as they say, a mans beard, is a mans pride!
"Hey! Don't lob factual statements at me as if they're insults!"
Plamsa wing 54

Postby CunningSmile » 15 Nov 2012, 15:29

Clanger67 wrote:I bet Log knows Charlie Brooker from when he was Editor of pc Zone though.Thought i read somewhere Log has worked for them and pc Gamer until Charlie left and made it famous on telly.

I'm sad enough to have read the staff bios at the bottom of the page (apparently Ed owns Yorkshire) and looks like Log also worked for Brooker's company.

And agreed it's nice to finally put a face to Alice's name. Now I know she's a real person and not just a nom de plume I'm feeling bad incase I ever critised her writing.
What do you get when you cross a joke with a rhetorical question?
CunningSmile 68
OXM Moderator

Postby FishyGinger » 15 Nov 2012, 15:52

She was in a video some time ago about hard bosses wasn't she, nominated guy from fight night champions. Am I the only one that pays attention :P
FishyGinger 66

Postby Caligulove » 15 Nov 2012, 16:01

Great video, I could see Log really enjoyed being allowed to slap Matt right across the face! Very funny :D
Caligulove 31

Postby Captain_Chao5 » 15 Nov 2012, 16:06

That vid made me laugh. I still can't believe there was an achievement for staring at some boobs in a game. My missus is a gamer, and is currently camped out on the xbox playing AC3. Maybe I'll go stare at her norks instead.
"The problem with internet quotes is that you cant always depend on their accuracy" - Abraham Lincoln, 1864

GT = Captain Chao5 on Xbox 360 and Xbox One
Captain_Chao5 52

Postby Bezza89 » 15 Nov 2012, 16:17

CunningSmile wrote:And agreed it's nice to finally put a face to Alice's name. Now I know she's a real person and not just a nom de plume I'm feeling bad incase I ever critised her writing.

I criticised, I hold my criticism regardless of whether I've seen someones face or not - what's your point cunning? :wink:
It's all in the game...
Bezza89 65

Postby FishyGinger » 15 Nov 2012, 16:58

Bezza89 wrote:
I criticised, I hold my criticism regardless of whether I've seen someones face or not - what's your point cunning? :wink:

Hoping oxm are located on the south coast and she's into threesomes. It won't work Cunning, they're actually a myth dreamt up by women to placate men.
FishyGinger 66

Postby Clanger67 » 15 Nov 2012, 17:04

FishyGinger wrote:
Bezza89 wrote:

Hoping oxm are located on the south coast and she's into threesomes. It won't work Cunning, they're actually a myth dreamt up by women to placate men.

:lol: No it isn't speak for yourself. :P :wink:
Clanger67 60

Postby schwepterbrowser » 15 Nov 2012, 17:08

Captain_Chao5 wrote:That vid made me laugh. I still can't believe there was an achievement for staring at some boobs in a game.

There's one in Lollipop Chainsaw for looking up Juliet's skirt. It made it worse that she'd cover up and for it to unlock you had to get an unobstructed view, spinning the camera round and trying to beat her for a flash of her knickers. The whole time she was quite rightly calling me a "perv", but the achievement had to be gotten. It worries me that it was the first achievement a friend that isn't interested in achievements got in the game...
schwepterbrowser 54

Next