to access exclusive content, comment on articles, win prizes and post on our forums. Not a member yet? Join now!

Sonic & Sega All-Stars Racing Transformed

Your comments on our articles.

Something old, something new, something with an improved drift mechanic, something blue

Of the multitude of Mario Kart clones released since Nintendo's chubby funster first parked his sizeable rump in the seat of a 50cc trundler, Sonic & Sega All-Stars Racing was one of the most competent alternatives. The bundling together of current and classic Sega characters finally gave a Mario Kart to those of the Mega Drive and Dreamcast persuasion, and while it didn't have the greatest handling or multiplayer in the world, that it merely existed was enough for most.... read more

Sonic & Sega All-Stars Racing Transformed

Postby KernowDevil23 » 16 Nov 2012, 19:17

It's pretty cool to see that this is receiving universal critical acclaim. Every review I've read has been very positive so this has just performed a last lap dash to the top of my wanted list!
I don't care if a game is "the same every year." So is pizza. Stop buying the bad pizza. Buy the good pizza.
KernowDevil23 56

Re: Sonic & Sega All-Stars Racing Transformed

Postby Alaric14 » 17 Nov 2012, 13:04

Have to admit I'm a little more intrigued by this than I thought I could be...Is the kid in me banging his fists against my robust adult ribcage in an attempt to get out? I only ask because I have an urge to purchase LEGO Lord of the Rings as well. :?
Animator, writer, and NPC molester.
Alaric14 35

Postby Clanger67 » 17 Nov 2012, 13:52

Im quite looking forward to Lego Lord of the rings.Reckon it will be quite maturish though i have heard Lego batman 2 is.Seems the games have grown up quite a lot,plus Tom Bombadil is gonna be in it a must purchase.
Cry havoc ! and let slip the dogs of war.
Clanger67 60

Postby SidTheSloth » 21 Nov 2012, 00:07

You guys on the fence with this, i bought the original a while back and yes it's simplistic etc but i really really enjoyed it, and having tried the demo/read the reviews it seems for the most parts they've improved on it no end so i can only recommend it!

Having been disappointed with the F1 karting effort i'll be picking this one up instead at some point!
Sid is waving. Waving goodbye. It means he's leaving now. He's going. His final message to you, dear reader, is to always wash your hands after making a big pooh, and to remember that Hyrule Warriors is a thing…!
SidTheSloth 53

Postby KernowDevil23 » 21 Nov 2012, 11:02

SidTheSloth wrote:You guys on the fence with this, i bought the original a while back and yes it's simplistic etc but i really really enjoyed it, and having tried the demo/read the reviews it seems for the most parts they've improved on it no end so i can only recommend it!

Having been disappointed with the F1 karting effort i'll be picking this one up instead at some point!

Mines on it's way from Tesco. Bargain buy already at only £23.50!!
I don't care if a game is "the same every year." So is pizza. Stop buying the bad pizza. Buy the good pizza.
KernowDevil23 56

Postby SidTheSloth » 21 Nov 2012, 12:53

Think they played a blinder releasing it a bit cheaper - don't understand why more companies don't follow suit with this tbh, perhaps it's because they understand economics better than I, but surely it'd help some games sell much better.

As this is a bit of an underdog and i planned to get it anyway i just ordered it despite having 50% of the original left to play!

Word of warning for any of you cheevo whores, there's a pretty shitty one for 10G in there where it seems you need 4 players locally, and then another 6 online or something and then with your character finish 1st, 2nd, 3rd and fourth in a ten game race series. I'd rather drink a smoothie made from my faeces than be arsed with that but i know some people are put off by such things!
Sid is waving. Waving goodbye. It means he's leaving now. He's going. His final message to you, dear reader, is to always wash your hands after making a big pooh, and to remember that Hyrule Warriors is a thing…!
SidTheSloth 53

Postby Raluph » 18 Dec 2012, 19:06

I'm still torn between this and Forza horizon. I will eventually get both, but which one first?
Raluph 11

Postby Alaric14 » 22 Dec 2012, 02:52

Raluph wrote:I'm still torn between this and Forza horizon. I will eventually get both, but which one first?

If you want simplicity, SEGA All-Stars. For complexity, Forza is your game. So, are you more in the mood for simple...or complex?

Or you could just be a cheap Christmas bastard and buy SEGA All-Stars first, seeing as it's only around twenty-five quid.
Animator, writer, and NPC molester.
Alaric14 35

Postby DGR1980 » 22 Dec 2012, 22:54

Raluph wrote:I'm still torn between this and Forza horizon. I will eventually get both, but which one first?

If you have anyone else who will play in the same room ass you get Sonic.
DGR1980 39

Postby Chameleon » 03 Jan 2013, 12:37

I like this game, but Sega should be thoroughly disgusted with themselves for the complete inability to play properly with a wireless wheel.

On the Wii, just about the only thing my wife loved was Mario Kart and the first Sonic; once Kinect came out, we ditched the Wii entirely. At Christmas we decided that, to try to get her playing again, we'd get this along with the wireless speed wheel, so it was a more 'Wii-esque' system for her to get to grips with.

Unfortunately, the wheel has no thumbsticks, so Sega thoughtfully decide to make use of these and have ZERO options for anything else. Flight controls - you have to use the left thumbstick to go up or down, point-blank refusing to use the wheel as a yoke = fly straight into walls!; stunts controlled by the right thumbstick with no option to use the (unused) d-pad. Appalling!

And half a dozen stores are doing a console+wireless wheel+Sonic package...

I will enjoy this with a controller, but we bought it for my wife to have fun with... Hang your head in shame, Sega.

Edit: and a slight aside to OXM that they didn't try out an official MS accessory and note this issue in their review.
Chameleon 44