to access exclusive content, comment on articles, win prizes and post on our forums. Not a member yet? Join now!

Why GTA 5 isn't a next gen game: "there's plenty of power in

Your comments on our articles.

Rockstar's Dan Houser sticks up for current generation consoles

In all probability, Grand Theft Auto 5 will be the last major blockbuster on Xbox 360, landing a handful of weeks ahead of the oft-predicted Xbox 720 announcement at E3 2013. This begs an obvious question: why not wait a few months, polish up the textures and release the thing for next gen hardware? Here's Rockstar co-founder Dan Houser with the answer.... read more

Why GTA 5 isn't a next gen game: "there's plenty of power in

Postby Bezza89 » 19 Nov 2012, 12:34

"We didn't sit there saying, "We'd like to do this in the game, but we can't." There's plenty of power in these
machines."

I take issue with this, they aren't doing the rpg elements because of how everything is HD and you can't get away with making the characters fatter/bigger and keep the motion capture synched up, as well as it not working in the presence of multiple protagonists. Also, a few other bits aren't in like the property missions and terror...tory? missions which are missed by a lot of people, as pointed out by grums not the actual thing, the concept of it. I can't help but feel these would have added to the game, it pains me to say it as I champion GTA a lot, but I'd wait for next gen for a bit more crammed in.

Also, problems with IV were the framerate and draw distances - always better to increase both with better tech, unless they're got around it (BoGT did have noticably better framerate and dds, they had a blur effect in place and grainy one in IV and LatD) in which case, hats off.

It isn't next gen, but it could be as well, and I'll buy both!
It's all in the game...
Bezza89 65

Re: Why GTA 5 isn't a next gen game: "there's plenty of powe

Postby fracturedrich » 19 Nov 2012, 13:38

i hope the rumours of you not being able to play 360 games on the next xbox are not true,because i still play gta4 now,to be honest ime not looking forward to next gen do we keep gamer tags achievements whats going to happen.
fracturedrich 45

Postby GallifreyDog » 19 Nov 2012, 19:37

fracturedrich wrote:i hope the rumours of you not being able to play 360 games on the next xbox are not true,because i still play gta4 now,to be honest ime not looking forward to next gen do we keep gamer tags achievements whats going to happen.

I hope everything gets carried over, people have spent ages working on their gamerscore and it'd be a shame to just lose it all. I'd prefer it to be separate from the 720 gamerscore though.
GallifreyDog 26

Postby GallifreyDog » 19 Nov 2012, 22:19

GallifreyDog wrote:
fracturedrich wrote:i hope the rumours of you not being able to play 360 games on the next xbox are not true,because i still play gta4 now,to be honest ime not looking forward to next gen do we keep gamer tags achievements whats going to happen.

I hope everything gets carried over, people have spent ages working on their gamerscore and it'd be a shame to just lose it all. I'd prefer it to be separate from the 720 gamerscore though.

I mean next Xbox. I really doubt it'll be called 720 haha.
GallifreyDog 26

Postby Dave101 » 20 Nov 2012, 20:00

im still on vice city, let alone gta4.
who needs great graphice when the story and side missions are better on a 10ish year old game?
Dave101 16

Postby Clanger67 » 20 Nov 2012, 20:31

Yeah Vice City is alright shame about the eighties soundtrack and the fact you can't go in the water.Other than that i don't think it is a patch on San Andreas imo.
Cry havoc ! and let slip the dogs of war.
Clanger67 60

Postby Bezza89 » 21 Nov 2012, 00:15

Agreed clanger, the radio was a lot better too imo, but that's me being a nineties guy, ok techincally 80s, but musically I was born unto the birth of grunge. Not spandau ballet.
It's all in the game...
Bezza89 65

Postby Clanger67 » 21 Nov 2012, 10:41

Good old Bezza,yeah sorry i meant all the music is better in SA.Spandau Ballet my god just be thankful you didn't have to live through it,lol. :wink:
Clanger67 60

Postby CunningSmile » 22 Nov 2012, 12:40

Philistines!!! Vice City has by far the better sound track, Big Hair Rock FTW!
What do you get when you cross a joke with a rhetorical question?
CunningSmile 68
OXM Moderator

Postby Clanger67 » 22 Nov 2012, 13:02

CunningSmile wrote:Philistines!!! Vice City has by far the better sound track, Big Hair Rock FTW!

:lol: My god,no,no,noooooo. :P :wink:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9jK-NcRmVcw

Bet you can't tell me which musician is the man ???. :P :wink:
Clanger67 60

Postby CunningSmile » 22 Nov 2012, 13:14

Clanger67 wrote:Bet you can't tell me which musician is the man ???. :P :wink:

Says the man championing a decade that produced Hanson? I still have my "I screwed the girl in Hanson" T-shirt.
What do you get when you cross a joke with a rhetorical question?
CunningSmile 68
OXM Moderator

Postby FishyGinger » 22 Nov 2012, 13:16

Sorry Bezza and Moomin, Cunning is right Vice city radio was better. You could even say it was Gold...I did think it was better though. Both were better than GTA4 though, that only had one good song from memory.
I have given pleasure to the world because I have such a beautiful ass.
FishyGinger 66

Postby Clanger67 » 22 Nov 2012, 13:17

I was only messing Cunning at least with Grunge and the long hair men looked like men and no hair spray in sight,lol. :P :wink:
Clanger67 60

Postby Clanger67 » 22 Nov 2012, 13:32

FishyGinger wrote:Sorry Bezza and Moomin, Cunning is right Vice city radio was better. You could even say it was Gold...I did think it was better though. Both were better than GTA4 though, that only had one good song from memory.

Boo you're both wrong. :wink:

Also sacrilege,the moomins are nothing like the Clanger's. :wink:
Clanger67 60

Postby FishyGinger » 22 Nov 2012, 13:44

I'm genuinely sorry about that, not sure why I wrote moomin. Weird hippos don't look anything like ant eating moon rats. Goes to show what this job has done to my poor brain. :P
I have given pleasure to the world because I have such a beautiful ass.
FishyGinger 66

Next