to join the Xbox community. Not a member yet? Join now!

Free agent: Square Enix dumps Hitman Absolution's online pas

Your comments on our articles.

"We really want to make Contracts available to anybody that plays the game"

Good news, champions of pre-owned! Square Enix has dispensed with Hitman: Absolution's online pass system, making the game's Contracts Mode free for all regardless of whether you buy the game new or second hand.... read more

Free agent: Square Enix dumps Hitman Absolution's online pas

Postby Bezza89 » 19 Nov 2012, 12:35

Most look positive there, and 80 metacritic is damn fine, wouldn't say mixed. Though aren't bonuses revolved around the 85 mark. Silly.
Trianglular Sandwiches advocate against remakes of games, except Halo MC collection and GTAV... and metro... and minecraft.
Bezza89 67

Re: Free agent: Square Enix dumps Hitman Absolution's online

Postby OXM ETboy » 19 Nov 2012, 12:40

The Metascore isn't bad, no, but there's a fairly steep split between advocates and detractors.
OXM ETboy
OXM Staff

Postby Bezza89 » 19 Nov 2012, 12:49

A fair point. Have you had a go? Any thoughts? Anyone else in oxm - are the opinions quite split in the office?
Trianglular Sandwiches advocate against remakes of games, except Halo MC collection and GTAV... and metro... and minecraft.
Bezza89 67

Postby OXM ETboy » 19 Nov 2012, 12:52

I've played precisely one level and found it entertaining and rich, particularly as befits the NPC dialogue, but I've never played a Hitman game before. Seems whether you adored the older titles is the deciding factor...
OXM ETboy
OXM Staff

Postby Bezza89 » 19 Nov 2012, 13:32

They were ok, I never found them truly amazing, but the concepts and the attempts at trying to get there were always good, and a lot of fun, replayable, but now it sounds being a bit more ruthless is not only possible but quite badass. The oxm review is enough to convince me to buy it as I trust you guys.
Bezza89 67

Postby OXM ETboy » 19 Nov 2012, 13:34

Thanks man :) It sounds like Contracts helps make up for some of the less involved Absolution levels - you can always up the challenge by undertaking a player-created objective.
OXM ETboy
OXM Staff

Postby fracturedrich » 19 Nov 2012, 13:43

The thing ive always liked about hitman is the study of the level, the routines waiting for the perfect kill as long as thats still there ime in,i like a game that the more you put in the more you get out, i hate mindless blasting not caring how many times you die.
fracturedrich 47

Postby msbhvn » 19 Nov 2012, 22:04

I've long said that Online Passes should expire after about six months or so. Games sell most of their total sales in the first few weeks these days, so why should you have to pay for an online pass two years down the line, when there are no brand new copies to be found? Not to mention that online passes aren't included when you buy the (often overpriced) Games on Demand versions, either. Kudos to Squeenix for kicking the idea into touch.

I'm enjoying Dishonored more than I thought I would, so maybe Absolution would be a good buy when I've finished it? Hope there isn't anything important mapped to the left trigger in Absolution, though, because I'll probably spend a couple of days wanting to use Corvo's Blink power. :lol:
#SaveOXM
msbhvn 68

Postby GHOSTY05 » 19 Nov 2012, 22:23

Well i have been playing all day and i would happily say as a massive hitman fan, this game is amazing.

You feel even more powerful than before, guns feel fantastic, kills feel mega satisfying, A.I i excellent.

Loving it.
GHOSTY05 39

Postby battfink83 » 20 Nov 2012, 00:26

the game is a little too focused for a hitman title, it feels linear on the first playthrough, there are only a few 'typical' hitman missions in the 16 or so in the game. BUT its still an amazing title, its a welcome return and here's hoping they bring us a new old school one in under 6 years lol.

just would like to mention that the second playthrough is far better, the challenges are brilliantly thought out and encourage you to explore all parts of the levels and try out all weapons and possibilities, i spent 6 hours last night on one single mission (chinatown) trying too 100% it and get the silent assassin rating, every second was great fun, i think there was something like 12 different ways to kill the main target in this mission alone

dont be put off by the reviews, good and bad alike, if you've ever enjoyed a hitman title you'll like this, its a truly nasty title, just how hitman should be ;)

nothing like dropping a dodgy disco ball on a strippers head whilst shes dancing for a private party (which i later turned into the main element of an online 'contract' i created), or putting some fire paste into a vial of 'baldness cure' in an R & D lab, only for a slap head scientist to try it out........

regarding the online pass, i wondered what the 921kb update was for this morning, id already used my online pass code, i think its a great idea, as now my brother next door can lend my disk and create some online contracts of his own
battfink83 51

Postby GHOSTY05 » 20 Nov 2012, 16:59

What i like about this game is they have really fixed the go-loud approach.

Even when things get hairy, or you just want to p**s about, the action is solid and guns feel very meaty.

I have never been very good with hitman games, especially seeing the varying ways of killing people, i just end up in gun fights, mowing everyone down, but even now this way is still as much fun.
GHOSTY05 39

Postby FishyGinger » 20 Nov 2012, 17:05

msbhvn wrote:I've long said that Online Passes should expire after about six months or so. Games sell most of their total sales in the first few weeks these days, so why should you have to pay for an online pass two years down the line, when there are no brand new copies to be found? Not to mention that online passes aren't included when you buy the (often overpriced) Games on Demand versions, either. Kudos to Squeenix for kicking the idea into touch.
:

With the volumes of games out nowadays though it's really very unlikely games like this won't be about new in 2 years time. In the last few months I've picked up alpha protocol, crackdown 1 and Grid for about 5 quid each new, and in not very obscure places. That said I'm not disagreeing with you, after about a year it should be deactivated as generally the price of a new game is same as a 2nd hand one.

Either way, surely this promotes people getting it second hand as there should be little cost saving when there is an online pass and less money to the developer than the retailer?
2 + 4 = Fish
FishyGinger 68

Postby CunningSmile » 22 Nov 2012, 12:43

For me the biggest dick move of an online pass was Dragon Age: Origins. The Stone Prisoner pass had an expiry date on it so even if you bought it new two years after release you still had to pay for the XBL download version. I've bought the game twice, both new but got locked out my old profile which had the DLC attached. Now I can't access it and I'm looking at having to spend 800 points to get it back.
Why all the fuss about Dragon Age? Gears of War had a gay character years ago and no one complained...wait, you mean Marcus was straight :shock:
CunningSmile 71
OXM Moderator

Postby FishyGinger » 22 Nov 2012, 13:23

That is a bit wankey. Sure the dragon age armour in mass effect 2 was the same.
2 + 4 = Fish
FishyGinger 68

Postby Captain_Chao5 » 22 Nov 2012, 16:25

[quote=I'm enjoying Dishonored more than I thought I would, so maybe Absolution would be a good buy when I've finished it? Hope there isn't anything important mapped to the left trigger in Absolution, though, because I'll probably spend a couple of days wanting to use Corvo's Blink power. :lol:[/quote]
I just completed the second playthru of Dishonored..its awesome isnt it. I too hope I dont try to 'Blink' around in Hitman when it arrives on Monday... :roll:
GT = Captain Chao5 on Xbox 360 and Xbox One
Captain_Chao5 56