to access exclusive content, comment on articles, win prizes and post on our forums. Not a member yet? Join now!

Best game music: seven great RPG melodies

Your comments on our articles.

Tear-jerkers and heart-pounders from the annals of history

Selecting the winners for last week's Greatest Video Game Music #2 giveaway (if you're among them, you'll receive a PM shortly), I find myself succumbing to a familiar urge. Yes, there is no other way. I will, I must put together another round-up of Youtube embeds.... read more

Postby kronk10 » 19 Nov 2012, 16:56

I love the dragons dogma main theme music i love it when it goes into that daft japanese rock/metal riff after the piano score brilliant :D
kronk10 41

Postby Clanger67 » 19 Nov 2012, 16:59

Nooooooo i haven't won again. :(

Good call with Dragon's Dogma though forgot about that tbf.Still reckon Bethesda music RULES !!!!! though.Congrats to the winners anyway.
Cry havoc ! and let slip the dogs of war.
Clanger67 60

Re: Best game music: seven great RPG melodies

Postby falcon » 19 Nov 2012, 17:31

When I saw my suggestion of Neverending Journey there I got my hopes up that I'd won....alas no, not even a nod for suggesting it :(
falcon 16

Postby Maverick_McCool » 19 Nov 2012, 17:38

Yes! Yes! Yes! To Dragons Dogma's awesome cheesefest! Can't believe I forgot that one.

Who are the winners by the way , no doubt I won't be one but still , I'd like to see the OXM teams taste in game music.

Even if they did rate Desmond sodding Miles above Ryu in a greatest fighters competition a while back , not that I'm bitter or anything :P :evil:
I used to make arrow in the knee jokes , then Arm Fall Off Boy kicked me in the balls....... Come on Boon , quit teasing us with DLC characters we don't want , give us Arm Fall Off Boy dammit! Or at least give us Detective Chimp........
Maverick_McCool 45

Postby ItchyRash » 19 Nov 2012, 17:47

I'm assuming I didn't win for suggesting in game music should be banned. A travesty. I thought outside the box and this is what happens. Not even an honourable mention for swimming against the tide, bucking the trend and fighting the system that OXM built. A travesty for all the free thinkers amongst us
ItchyRash 42

Postby Bezza89 » 19 Nov 2012, 17:53

ItchyRash wrote:I'm assuming I didn't win for suggesting in game music should be banned. A travesty. I thought outside the box and this is what happens. Not even an honourable mention for swimming against the tide, bucking the trend and fighting the system that OXM built. A travesty for all the free thinkers amongst us

You didn't win because a) He hasn't done the winners yet - they get a PM when he is finished picking, these are whoever wrote the things choices for RPGs only, I'm assuming Ed, and b) if the competition was to pick a song or soundtrack you enjoy I don't think not picking anything would win, otherwise me not entering beats your apathy.

Option C would be taking you at your sarcasm, and I've wrote too much before I realised so there.
It's all in the game...
Bezza89 65

Postby JCHN » 19 Nov 2012, 17:57

So I am mentioned. Does this mean that I have won or not??
JCHN 56

Postby ItchyRash » 19 Nov 2012, 17:58

Bezza89 wrote:
ItchyRash wrote:I'm assuming I didn't win for suggesting in game music should be banned. A travesty. I thought outside the box and this is what happens. Not even an honourable mention for swimming against the tide, bucking the trend and fighting the system that OXM built. A travesty for all the free thinkers amongst us

You didn't win because a) He hasn't done the winners yet - they get a PM when he is finished picking, these are whoever wrote the things choices for RPGs only, I'm assuming Ed, and b) if the competition was to pick a song or soundtrack you enjoy I don't think not picking anything would win, otherwise me not entering beats your apathy.

Option C would be taking you at your sarcasm, and I've wrote too much before I realised so there.

I did eventually suggest Ocarina of Time and no, I didn't actually have hopes of winning. I'm not even sure what the winner wins. Other than immense pride and the realisation of a dream perhaps
ItchyRash 42

Postby Bezza89 » 19 Nov 2012, 18:02

I heard you won a hat.
It's all in the game...
Bezza89 65

Postby Caligulove » 19 Nov 2012, 18:32

Shame Dark Souls didn't get a mention, the haunting melody from Firelink Shrine near the beginning of the game is nothing short of brilliant and sets the tone for the entire game.

[url] http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gyNmoWxErHU [url]
Caligulove 31

Postby MacPsych91 » 20 Nov 2012, 01:26

Yes! Panzer Dragoon Saga is my favourite game ever, great to see a shout out!
MacPsych91 14

Postby ItchyRash » 20 Nov 2012, 12:03

Bezza89 wrote:I heard you won a hat.

Hmm, perhaps I should have tried harder. I like a hat. Still not as good as immense pride though. I hope whoever won woke up feeling a little bit better today (and perhaps wearing a hat)
ItchyRash 42

Postby 05mknort » 20 Nov 2012, 14:48

Going to totally ignore the spelling error in my username in this article. If we are mentioned does that mean we have won?
05mknort 27

Postby scotty » 20 Nov 2012, 15:22

I was always partial to 'Thing on a Spring's' jingle.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmmEBO2lDVI :D
scotty 49

Postby Clanger67 » 20 Nov 2012, 15:29

I always liked Dynamite Dan myself,although it is a bit on the ears now,lol. :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0zWqmMU1YhI
Cry havoc ! and let slip the dogs of war.
Clanger67 60

Next