to access exclusive content, comment on articles, win prizes and post on our forums. Not a member yet? Join now!

Sacred 3 hands-on - Marvel: Ultimate Alliance meets Lord of

Your comments on our articles.

A venerable RPG is rebuilt for Xbox 360

If you were a fan of the first two Sacred games, brace yourself for a change. Ascaron Entertainment has folded, and Deep Silver has acquired the rights to the franchise. Consider Sacred 3 a kind of series reboot. It'll still be set in the high-fantasy realm of Ancaria, but almost everything else has been stripped down and rebuilt into a more action-oriented, Xbox-friendly hack-and-slash.... read more

Postby Clanger67 » 20 Nov 2012, 17:07

Hmmm so is this gonna be more Diablo style i wonder.I could never get on with the first two despite being an RPG nut.But don't know if i am too bothered if it has gone all action,will keep my eye on it though.
Cry havoc ! and let slip the dogs of war.
Clanger67 60

Postby Grummy » 20 Nov 2012, 17:16

Although I appreciate it greatly, I couldn't get into Sacred 2 personally. I thought the menus were horrid, the interface poor, and the camera was about as bad as it gets. It was difficult for me to enjoy, so I never got very far into it. It's always bothered me because I really want to like it, I love everything about it except the fundamental gameplay controls. The huge overland world was excellent, what of it I saw, but even with not seeing all that much of it, the fact that it was there was amazing. Having it taken away in this reboot is a bad move.

I'm not fully against the game. Your tag line reads about Marvel: UA meets LotR, it's as if these games haven't existed before, but they have. On retail release this generation there is Dungeon Siege 3. Across XBLA there are a bunch of them, Deathspank, Crimson alliance, and a couple of little known games called Torchlight and Diablo. Then of course we have the classic Baldur's Gate: Dark Alliance and Champions of Norath games from last gen, all of which did very very well indeed. This is just a fraction of the total number of this type of game. These linear level isometric ARPG's work well, and it will be nice to have another one to play, so, as I said, I'm not fully against it. They'll have to do some serious work to make it stand out though. Cutting out some of what made the previous games so good is a sizable risk.
One. Warrior. Nation.
Grummy 64
OXM Moderator

Re: Sacred 3 hands-on - Marvel: Ultimate Alliance meets Lord

Postby Clanger67 » 20 Nov 2012, 17:24

Yeah i really,really wanted to like the first two and did try to stick with them for a bit for some of the good ideas,but just gave up in the end.Given the new devs. think i would have liked it more if they had tried to right all the wrongs of the first two and given us a pretty decent FP/third person RPG.
Cry havoc ! and let slip the dogs of war.
Clanger67 60

Re: Sacred 3 hands-on - Marvel: Ultimate Alliance meets Lord

Postby Spartan Edge » 26 Nov 2012, 18:09

As much as i like the Ultimate Alliance games,I really do not like the sound of this,at all. It was nice having an RPG game that was a bit more traditional before,& now this is gonna be just like all the others.Shame..
Spartan Edge 13