to access exclusive content, comment on articles, win prizes and post on our forums. Not a member yet? Join now!

F1 Race Stars

Your comments on our articles.

Turning Formula One into Formula Fun

If only real life F1 drivers were as cheery as they are in Codie's new karting spin-off. No moping around grumpily unsatisfied with second place. No pointless on-track feuds. Life's much simpler in a cartoon.... read more

F1 Race Stars

Postby SidTheSloth » 21 Nov 2012, 00:05

I read this review a few days ago and thought the bit about the drifting seemed a little pedantic, suspecting it had maybe been done to avoid feeling like 'just another kart game'? After playing the demo it's humble pie time though as i fully get what the reviewer was talking about. Kart games in general are not the most skilful of titles, but taking the drift mechanic (no pun!) out just kills the actual racing and it becomes a bit laborious. Compare it to the crazy goings on in the new sonic equivalent and unfortunately there's only one winner (and it's not this).

Shame as i thought with some of the race modes in this it could genuinely have been awesome. :|
Sid is waving. Waving goodbye. It means he's leaving now. He's going. His final message to you, dear reader, is to always wash your hands after making a big pooh, and to remember that Hyrule Warriors is a thing…!
SidTheSloth 53

Re: F1 Race Stars

Postby KernowDevil23 » 21 Nov 2012, 11:04

I played the demo and deleted it after two laps! I thought this was a shocking waste of an amazing license. Such a shame really.
I don't care if a game is "the same every year." So is pizza. Stop buying the bad pizza. Buy the good pizza.
KernowDevil23 56

Re: F1 Race Stars

Postby SidTheSloth » 21 Nov 2012, 12:57

Maybe it was just because it was the demo but i found myself confused half the time as to what was going on - whether i was being hit by a weapon or it was just the weather, whether the damage being done to my car was permanent or for show etc and just guessed with the pit lanes. Weapons kind of felt like an afterthought too. 'Shame' definitely seems to be the buzz word as all the basics feel decent, it just doesn't shine in seemingly any area...

Out of four racers released in the last few weeks, only sonic hasn't put me off with the demo - Horizon, NFS & F1 RS demo's have certainly done more harm than good in that respect.

Saw Dirt Showdown on Amazon yesterday for £7 brand new, can't help thinking this is destined for the same fate in a few months time. :|
Sid is waving. Waving goodbye. It means he's leaving now. He's going. His final message to you, dear reader, is to always wash your hands after making a big pooh, and to remember that Hyrule Warriors is a thing…!
SidTheSloth 53