to access exclusive content, comment on articles, win prizes and post on our forums. Not a member yet? Join now!

Halo 4 Spartan Ops used to be a "Firefight-type mode", was "

Your comments on our articles.

"It was more arcadey and meant to be replayable."

Halo 4's Spartan Ops mode began life as a "Firefight-type mode" in which players completed randomised missions on a single map, according to lead designer Chris Haluke and senior designer Greg Murphy. Eventually, however, 343 decided that fixing mission content in line with the over-arching multiplayer narrative would make for a better experience.... read more

Halo 4 Spartan Ops used to be a "Firefight-type mode", was "

Postby Metalrodent » 22 Nov 2012, 11:45

I personally do replay some of the missions quite regually - ep. 1 chp. 1 I play a lot, as well as Ep 3's 1 and 4.
The main reason for this is the vehicles, which the campaign severely lack in (what it had was very linear), as its fun to just blow endless waves of covenant up, as well as completing the challeneges far quicker than the on foot missions.
Hey you, yes you! Feel free to check out my blog
Metalrodent 67

Re: Halo 4 Spartan Ops used to be a "Firefight-type mode", w

Postby AllusiveTurtle » 22 Nov 2012, 15:22

Spartan Ops is nowhere near as much fun as Firefight.

• Most of the Spartan Ops missions do not really relate to the video-clip that they accompany, so the over-arching narrative that is spoken of is pretty irrelevant.
• I’ve completed every available Op solo on Legendary and some of them have taken as little as about 30 minutes. If it had been 4 people playing it would have shorter still.
• Some of the missions are not particularly entertaining, though some are very good. There is a good deal of inconsistency when it comes to the quality of the missions.
• Some of the maps in Spartan Ops are pretty big, which leads to a lack of tension. Firefight was always held on a pretty small map and tended to last a decent length of time and so were often very intense as the enemies would actively come looking for you. More often than not in Spartan Ops, the enemy is content to sit back and await your attack.
• The spawning on Spartan Ops sucks! I have only played them on Legendary, but I have lost count of the number of times that I have of been put back to exactly the same spot where I died as a result of being overwhelmed. I kid you not I literally spawned on top of one Elite, frightening the crap out of him in the process! Needless to say I died! Again. Straight away!
• Whenever I finished a Firefight match, I immediately wanted to play again. Spartan Ops feels like a mini-campaign (which I guess is the aim), and I certainly don’t feel the same urge to do the Episode again. The only reason that I will play some of them again, is to complete the challenges. But when you consider that they are only putting out 2 challenges for Spartan Ops each week, and they can be completed inside an hour, I think it goes to show that the longevity of Spartan Ops will cease to exist very quickly.

Bring back Firefight (even in its original form!) and all will be forgiven. The good thing is that I think the playing stats will show 343 that they need to bring back Firefight as I’m sure they won’t want to have the record for the least played game online in the series.
AllusiveTurtle 44