to access exclusive content, comment on articles, win prizes and post on our forums. Not a member yet? Join now!

Dishonored 2 looking likely: sales exceed Bethesda's expecta

Your comments on our articles.

"We clearly have a new franchise."

Go on, Bethesda. Say it. Say the magic words "Dishonored 2". The publisher's PR boss Pete Hines has revealed that Dishonored is "exceeding our sales expectations" despite heavyweight competition, and confirmed that Bethesda intends to do more with the IP in future.... read more

Dishonored 2 looking likely: sales exceed Bethesda's expecta

Postby CunningSmile » 28 Nov 2012, 14:25

Please pay attention all other publishers:

WE DO BUY NEW IPs AND GAMES WITHOUT MP SO LONG AS YOU RELEASE THEM!
What do you get when you cross a joke with a rhetorical question?
CunningSmile 68
OXM Moderator

Re: Dishonored 2 looking likely: sales exceed Bethesda's exp

Postby SidTheSloth » 28 Nov 2012, 14:33

Well deserved too...! I've yet to finish it and i don't think it's quite my personal game of the year but i can certainly appreciate the amount of work that's gone into it, and have been impressed by it. I've just started what many people tell me is the best mission in the game too so maybe my opinion of it will be raised even higher...! :)

Just wondering if for future titles they could follow (let me finish) Fable...? I don't mean foresaking the storyline and quests/morality for superficial BS etc, i mean more with the jumping forward in time and seeing how the worlds changed? It's quite cool on Fable 2 seeing the Heroes Guild all buried/smashed up, and then on 3 finding the old campsite from 2. Hell, taking it even further it would be even more immense if the sequel changed depending on how you ended the original - i feel i may be asking for a little too much there though! :wink:
Sid is waving. Waving goodbye. It means he's leaving now. He's going. His final message to you, dear reader, is to always wash your hands after making a big pooh, and to remember that Hyrule Warriors is a thing…!
SidTheSloth 53

Postby Clanger67 » 28 Nov 2012, 14:33

It shouldn't really exceed their sales expectations if it is new and original and good.And isn't the same rehashed crap every year.I couldn't recommend this enough to everybody i know and roll on a sequel i will be buying on the strength of the first one. :D
Cry havoc ! and let slip the dogs of war.
Clanger67 60

Postby vadersmyfather » 28 Nov 2012, 14:40

CunningSmile wrote:Please pay attention all other publishers:

Years ago I remember reading some stats that indicated a low percentage of Xbox owners had Gold membership and an even lower number played co-op. I wonder what the stats are now.
I cnduo't bvleiee taht I culod aulaclty uesdtannrd waht I was rdnaieg. Unisg the icndeblire pweor of the hmuan mnid it dseno't mttaer the oderr the lterets in a wrod are, the olny irpoamtnt tihng is taht the frsit and lsat ltteer are in the rhgit pclae.
vadersmyfather 46

Postby CunningSmile » 28 Nov 2012, 15:20

vadersmyfather wrote:Years ago I remember reading some stats that indicated a low percentage of Xbox owners had Gold membership and an even lower number played co-op. I wonder what the stats are now.

I don't know about right now but as of last year MS were saying only about half of Xbox owners had a Gold membership. Of those about 60% (myself included) never played online games, just used the media functions.

By my maths that means all the "Me-Too-MP" jumping on the CoD bandwagon (looking at you EA) are only actually catering to 30% of the market.
CunningSmile 68
OXM Moderator

Postby Bezza89 » 28 Nov 2012, 15:36

CunningSmile wrote:Please pay attention all other publishers:

Ah the irony of this statement in a thread discussing the sequel :wink:

I might add I didn't think there was enough in this game to warrant a sequel, maybe do a Bioshock kind of thing and have it similar but different, eg - System Shock -> Bioshock -> Infinite, sort of the same game deep down, but all different games in their own right.

I might also add, cunnings statement might have been purposefully touching on the thing I am poking him about making me look all the more the fool, I say might, I have said these things.
It's all in the game...
Bezza89 65

Postby ipsofacto » 28 Nov 2012, 16:04

Is the first really similar to Bioshock? I hated Bioshock ... I can't decide whether to get this or not
ipsofacto 42

Postby lazercut123 » 28 Nov 2012, 16:20

ipsofacto wrote:Is the first really similar to Bioshock? I hated Bioshock ... I can't decide whether to get this or not

Don't, I mean seriously, don't. This is a game that costs £40 and only has a 10 hour campaign. Now that may be alright if it had a multiplayer or at least another game mode that gave it more overall play time, but it doesn't.

The gameplay is good, I admit that, but it is too short to warrant a price tag of more that £15. I would rate this game as 5/10 for sheer lack of play time. Oh and the graphics (at the beginning of the game anyway) are dreadful, they Remind me of the original fable game.

I do realise that this is not everyone's opinion, so don't send me a hate message saying that I am ignorant or something please.
"I fear being nothing, I fear having no thought, no feeling, no joy or sadness, I fear nothingness. And spiders." - Me.
lazercut123 54

Postby Captain_Chao5 » 28 Nov 2012, 16:22

ipsofacto wrote:Is the first really similar to Bioshock? I hated Bioshock ... I can't decide whether to get this or not

I played Bioshock to the final battle, and whilst it was ok - I never went back to play it again. Dishonored I completed within a week and immediately played it to completion again following a different play style. It's THAT good. I've taken a break now to complete Arkham City New Game Plus and just picked up Hitman Absolution, but will certainly go back for some more Dishonored.
"The problem with internet quotes is that you cant always depend on their accuracy" - Abraham Lincoln, 1864

GT = Captain Chao5 on Xbox 360 and Xbox One
Captain_Chao5 52

Postby Captain_Chao5 » 28 Nov 2012, 16:27

lazercut123 wrote:

This is a game that costs £40 and only has a 10 hour campaign.

You need to shop around mate. I paid a lot less.
"The problem with internet quotes is that you cant always depend on their accuracy" - Abraham Lincoln, 1864

GT = Captain Chao5 on Xbox 360 and Xbox One
Captain_Chao5 52

Postby CunningSmile » 28 Nov 2012, 16:32

Counter point to Lazercut: I paid £40 on the day of release and think it's the best value game I've played all year. I've already played it through twice, and both play throughs felt like different games as a result of the different powers and tactics I used both times. Neither occassion took me ten hours, closer to 20 the first and 15 the second.

And you can get the game for around twenty quid at the moment on Amazon.
CunningSmile 68
OXM Moderator

Postby FishyGinger » 28 Nov 2012, 16:51

CunningSmile wrote:
By my maths that means all the "Me-Too-MP" jumping on the CoD bandwagon (looking at you EA) are only actually catering to 30% of the market.

Hearing about however many kajillions call of duty sells I'd imagine there's still a fair number online. It is daft though.

Does anyone really get games for 40 quid anymore, even new at release? I don't count collectors editions in this but surely no one pays that much. I got it on the sale for 22 quid but I've yet to play it as the good lady had the decency to have her spleen explode*. That and I'm still on AC3 trying to climb that bloody tree in the south-west corner of the outback for the synch point, anyone managed that by the by?

Anyways, looks interesting and I'm sure I'll enjoy it, I do like a good sneaksie game.

*Her spleen didn't explode, she did let someone chop her up a bit. She's now lost weight by however much a gall bladder weighs.
I have given pleasure to the world because I have such a beautiful ass.
FishyGinger 66

Postby Plamsa wing » 28 Nov 2012, 17:33

I've hardly played dishonoured yet, only just done the first mission. Need to get into it more though before I decide whether it's good or not.

Not that it isn't of course, it's just not a game I can't juggle with the likes of XCOM and friends, without playing for longer times.
"Hey! Don't lob factual statements at me as if they're insults!"
Plamsa wing 54

Postby ipsofacto » 28 Nov 2012, 17:33

Captain_Chao5 wrote:
lazercut123 wrote: This is a game that costs £40 and only has a 10 hour campaign.

Yeah, it's on offer - £20 at game so I was tempted.
I'm actually just choosing between this, Arkham Asylum (ashamed to say I still haven't picked these up) and RDR GOTY.
ipsofacto 42

Postby lazercut123 » 28 Nov 2012, 17:42

lazercut123 wrote:
ipsofacto wrote:
This is a game that costs £40 and only has a 10 hour campaign.

Yes, but I was talking about when it was first released. And also it is half price after what, a month? Yeah, that kinda tells you something...
"I fear being nothing, I fear having no thought, no feeling, no joy or sadness, I fear nothingness. And spiders." - Me.
lazercut123 54

Next