to access exclusive content, comment on articles, win prizes and post on our forums. Not a member yet? Join now!

Assassin's Creed 4 could be a co-op return to Revolutionary

Your comments on our articles.

Or none of the above

Ubisoft has sent out a questionnaire probing Assassin's Creed 3 fans for their thoughts on the inevitable Assassin's Creed 4 (cheers, TGL). There's not much to glean from it, but one suggestion in particular makes our collective hair stand on end.... read more

Postby ChillieBonBon » 29 Nov 2012, 11:35

Like many people have said, I think that a Japanese setting would serve the game justice. Just think of all the cool ninja/assassine moves that you could do! :P
If a cluttered desk is the sign of of a cluttered mind, what is an empty desk a sign of?
ChillieBonBon 24

Postby SkinnerChinner » 29 Nov 2012, 11:42

I actually liked the colonies/revolutionary US setting - wouldn't mind going back to it either (probably due to my abnormal interest in most things history) Thought Ubisoft did pretty well not turning the game into "Mel Gibson's the Patriot - the game".

However, I very much approve of Fuedal Japan - ideal time period for an AC game. My suggestion; - 1857 Indian Mutiny
Last edited by SkinnerChinner on 29 Nov 2012, 13:06, edited 1 time in total.
SkinnerChinner 35

Re: Assassin's Creed 4 could be a co-op return to Revolution

Postby vadersmyfather » 29 Nov 2012, 11:53

I've not played AC3 mainly because the US setting really doesn't interest me one iota

Never really understood why they needed the whole Aminus part rather than just set the game in an era, to be honest.
I cnduo't bvleiee taht I culod aulaclty uesdtannrd waht I was rdnaieg. Unisg the icndeblire pweor of the hmuan mnid it dseno't mttaer the oderr the lterets in a wrod are, the olny irpoamtnt tihng is taht the frsit and lsat ltteer are in the rhgit pclae.
vadersmyfather 46

Postby AllusiveTurtle » 29 Nov 2012, 11:57

Bioshock Infinite shows that not every game needs a multiplayer element. Fortunately, the Assassins Creed games are lengthy enough that you can ignore the tacked on multiplayer element (albeit that you now have to ignore the majority of the DLC as well!). Co-op would be another unnecessary step that I wouldn't partake in. I'd still buy the game, but it would just mean even more achievements that I wouldn't attain!
AllusiveTurtle 44

Postby FishyGinger » 29 Nov 2012, 12:30

I enjoyed the AC multiplayer and don't think it was tacked on at all. I would have guessed they'd do 'inbetwixt' games like brotherhood and revelations using the same setting though.
I have given pleasure to the world because I have such a beautiful ass.
FishyGinger 66

Postby SkinnerChinner » 29 Nov 2012, 12:49

FishyGinger wrote:I enjoyed the AC multiplayer and don't think it was tacked on at all. I would have guessed they'd do 'inbetwixt' games like brotherhood and revelations using the same setting though.

I'm with Fishy, whilst I agree AC doesn't necessarily need a multiplayer mode, considering the strengths of its campaigns, I enjoyed what I played of it - felt well designed around the core gameplay of the series aswell as being something different. Drop in/out co-op could be intersting...
Last edited by SkinnerChinner on 29 Nov 2012, 12:53, edited 1 time in total.
SkinnerChinner 35

Postby CunningSmile » 29 Nov 2012, 12:53

Rather than drop in drop out co-op in the SP I'd rather something similar to Splinter Cell Conviction with a completely original stand alone storyline written for co-op. At no point in 5 AC games have I ever thought "I could really do with some help here" but a story that was written with that specifically in mind, with a collection of special co-op assassination techniques, would be good.
What do you get when you cross a joke with a rhetorical question?
CunningSmile 68
OXM Moderator

Postby FishyGinger » 29 Nov 2012, 12:54

CunningSmile wrote:Rather than drop in drop out co-op in the SP I'd rather something similar to Splinter Cell Conviction with a completely original stand alone storyline written for co-op. At no point in 5 AC games have I ever thought "I could really do with some help here" but a story that was written with that specifically in mind, with a collection of special co-op assassination techniques, would be good.

Sounds good. Maybe a series of hits against assassins as templar agents?
I have given pleasure to the world because I have such a beautiful ass.
FishyGinger 66

Postby DOGOFWAR » 29 Nov 2012, 13:03

I hope we've seen the last of Desmond... I really liked Connor though, I actually prefer him to Ezio or Altair.
I think AC3 kinda gave us a better insight as to how the templars worked, so perhaps a protagonist who's an assasin turned templar ? They could maybe run a story parallel to Desmond, with a different character because its hard to believe that every one of desmond's ancestors are involved with the story.
I'm Scottish... so it's natural for me to offend you...
DOGOFWAR 14

Postby vadersmyfather » 29 Nov 2012, 13:05

SkinnerChinner wrote:
FishyGinger wrote:I enjoyed the AC multiplayer and don't think it was tacked on at all. I would have guessed they'd do 'inbetwixt' games like brotherhood and revelations using the same setting though.

I'm with Fishy, whilst I agree AC doesn't necessarily need a multiplayer mode, considering the strengths of its campaigns, I enjoyed what I played of it - felt well designed around the core gameplay of the series aswell as being something different. Drop in/out co-op could be intersting...

The multiplayer in AC2B was the suprise package as dar as I was concerned. I bought the game for the campaign but spent most of my time in multiplayer!
I cnduo't bvleiee taht I culod aulaclty uesdtannrd waht I was rdnaieg. Unisg the icndeblire pweor of the hmuan mnid it dseno't mttaer the oderr the lterets in a wrod are, the olny irpoamtnt tihng is taht the frsit and lsat ltteer are in the rhgit pclae.
vadersmyfather 46

Postby SkinnerChinner » 29 Nov 2012, 13:24

Anyone have any time period/setting preferences beside Japan or WWII? (as the two most commonly suggested)

Personally, I think the Indian Mutiny could be good; 19th Century India? dense jungle, interesting wildlife if hunting is to be included, unique architecture - religious temples as a return of the "tomb" sequences, thriving cities (Meerut, Dehli, Jhansi, Cawnpore, Lucknow), mutinous uprisings, sieges, interesting characters (Mangal Pandy, Rani Lakshmibia, Colin Campbell, Thuggee assassins, Mutinous/Loyal sepoys), all against an important event in British/Indian history...

I'm getting carried away here, just read "Flashman in the Great Game" for inspiration!
SkinnerChinner 35

Postby CunningSmile » 29 Nov 2012, 13:32

SkinnerChinner wrote:Anyone have any time period/setting preferences beside Japan or WWII? (as the two most commonly suggested)

Personally, I think the Indian Mutiny could be good; 19th Century India? dense jungle, interesting wildlife if hunting is to be included, unique architecture - religious temples as a return of the "tomb" sequences, thriving cities (Meerut, Dehli, Jhansi, Cawnpore, Lucknow), mutinous uprisings, sieges, interesting characters (Mangal Pandy, Rani Lakshmibia, Colin Campbell, Thuggee assassins, Mutinous/Loyal sepoys), all against an important event in British/Indian history...

I'm getting carried away here, just read "Flashman in the Great Game" for inspiration!

I think the Indian Mutiny could be very interesting. I certainly think the East India Company who basically tried to run India as a company rather than an empire would make a great Pre-Abstergo cover for the Templars.

I've always liked the idea of the French Revolution. As with the East India Company I think the Revolutionaries trying to remove divine right to rule and replace it with reason and control just has Templar written all over it. You could have an English Assassin basically stealing the plot of Scarlet Pimpernel with missions to rescue Assassin allies from the chopping block, daring escapes and lots of cutting dialogue.

Another I'd quite like is inspired by the naval sections of AC3. I thought it was a good mechanic but out of place in Connor's story, so why not a whole game designed around it? Captain of the Aquila in the 1760's battling the Spanish and Templars for control of the Caribbean
What do you get when you cross a joke with a rhetorical question?
CunningSmile 68
OXM Moderator

Postby SkinnerChinner » 29 Nov 2012, 14:06

The French Revolution would be a great choice aswell! Ubisoft should just employ you to pen the script Cunning 8)

Thought the naval sections were a great addition to the series, but not used to its full potential, partially for that reason. Would have been better off with a seperate character?

I'd like it to be more a bit more "open world" alongside specific missions rather than just the latter - perhaps over time your 'naval supremecy' in certain regions decreases, with a great presence of enemy vessels? Which in turn could effect trade routes, income etc (I felt the improved trade/economy was a tad wasted in AC3)... could be an extrension of the Assassin recruit mechanic?
SkinnerChinner 35

Postby DOGOFWAR » 29 Nov 2012, 14:25

I'd like to know more about Achilles backstory, he deserves a story.
I'm Scottish... so it's natural for me to offend you...
DOGOFWAR 14

Postby Plamsa wing » 29 Nov 2012, 15:13

I really hope they don't use America again, for me it's the most boring setting they can and have used.

Perhaps something like Ancient Greece or Egypt would be a bit more interesting. They could even bring in a bit of mythology using the Pieces of Eden.
"Hey! Don't lob factual statements at me as if they're insults!"
Plamsa wing 54

Next