to access exclusive content, comment on articles, win prizes and post on our forums. Not a member yet? Join now!

State of Decay first look - Minecraft meets Dead Rising

Your comments on our articles.

Zombie survival to get your teeth into

Apparently the team at Undead Labs are taking their strategy for surviving a zombie apocalypse very seriously, because their new XBLA project will road test the strength of a contingency plan. State of Decay is a detailed survival sim, letting you see how you'd hold out in the face of grey, lurching death.... read more

State of Decay first look - Minecraft meets Dead Rising

Postby Thos. » 02 Dec 2012, 09:31

This sounds like a potential gem. Just watched a trailer, and the animation looks pretty clunky, but that's not really the focus here. If the survival mechanics are more polished, this could be really interesting.
Thos. 43

Re: State of Decay first look - Minecraft meets Dead Rising

Postby RyanGowran » 02 Dec 2012, 11:40

Looks Good For XBLA

Any Word On Release Date And Price
RyanGowran 23

Postby OXM ETboy » 02 Dec 2012, 11:48

I've added some hands-off gameplay footage from PAX, care of a helpful Youtube chap. Looks bloody good. Hope there's a day-night cycle.
OXM ETboy
OXM Staff

Postby Grummy » 02 Dec 2012, 16:01

I don't think there is a game I am actually looking forward to more than this right now.

Any way to make them put it out as a retail release? I WANT to pay them more for it. That's how good it looks. I actually think that an XBLA release with XBLA prices is under selling its worth.
One. Warrior. Nation.
Grummy 64
OXM Moderator

Postby MrDaRkAsSaSsIn6 » 02 Dec 2012, 16:46

This, Far cry 3 and Gta 5 are the games I'm most looking forward to. After seeing DayZ I really wanted a game like this for Xbox, and I really hope that this can match up to it. The Animations look a little clunky but, they have penty of time to fix them. CAN'T WAIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!
MrDaRkAsSaSsIn6 13

Postby thewrongtrousers » 02 Dec 2012, 17:26

Thos. wrote:This sounds like a potential gem. Just watched a trailer, and the animation looks pretty clunky, but that's not really the focus here. If the survival mechanics are more polished, this could be really interesting.

In a nutshell, this.

Can't believe there hasn't been a zombie game based around this already. RDR: Undead Nightmare is probably the closest.
thewrongtrousers 28

Postby SidTheSloth » 02 Dec 2012, 18:39

Have the press reports on this got a touch of the Molyneux's about them because if not the whole premise behind it - especially for an XBLA title - is frigging immense!

Normally anything zombies/shooting turns me off when they're bundled together but this just sounds completely different to anything else out there (that isn't called Day-Z)!
Sid is waving. Waving goodbye. It means he's leaving now. He's going. His final message to you, dear reader, is to always wash your hands after making a big pooh, and to remember that Hyrule Warriors is a thing…!
SidTheSloth 53

Postby Vegetunks9000 » 02 Dec 2012, 19:10

thewrongtrousers wrote:
Thos. wrote:This sounds like a potential gem. Just watched a trailer, and the animation looks pretty clunky, but that's not really the focus here. If the survival mechanics are more polished, this could be really interesting.

In a nutshell, this.

Can't believe there hasn't been a zombie game based around this already. RDR: Undead Nightmare is probably the closest.

There is a game called Rebuild, which is essentially this in 2D, and is more strategy based.
Yes yes, over 9000, i know, i know
Vegetunks9000 33

Postby Bezza89 » 02 Dec 2012, 20:00

I was like 'what are you guys smoking?' based on the article, it didn't really add anything to what I knew from the trailer and premise, then I watched that vid and got really interested - which begs the question, have you guys (oxm) - and gals seeing as Alice wrote it up - not had some hands on with it? Or hands off even? The guy in the vid gave a lot of cool info, it's a shame some nutjob on youtube is giving me something more than an official outlet. Not really a criticism, but a valid point I think.
It's all in the game...
Bezza89 65

Postby fracturedrich » 02 Dec 2012, 21:05

MrDaRkAsSaSsIn6 wrote:This, Far cry 3 and Gta 5 are the games I'm most looking forward to. After seeing DayZ I really wanted a game like this for Xbox, and I really hope that this can match up to it. The Animations look a little clunky but, they have penty of time to fix them. CAN'T WAIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Yeah ive been begging for day z game for xbox so ime buzzing ,cant wait and i hope they really run with it adding things like they do with minecraft.
fracturedrich 46

Postby OXM ETboy » 03 Dec 2012, 00:39

Bezza89 wrote:The guy in the vid gave a lot of cool info, it's a shame some nutjob on youtube is giving me something more than an official outlet. Not really a criticism, but a valid point I think.

It's an older preview, not based on hands-on time if I remember correctly, and there were the usual mag wordcount issues to reckon with. I agree that SOD deserves more intensive coverage. The second we get ahold of a build of our own, rest assured I'll be supplying some :)
OXM ETboy
OXM Staff

Postby The Selkie » 03 Dec 2012, 04:38

Love the concept, but I'm a little sceptical about the execution. Based on the video it seems very GTA-esque, but I'd rather have it come out as a full release, with grittier, more realistic graphics and more of a survival horror feel to it. Still, definitely one it watch and potentially one of the very few XBLA games I'll be picking up.
The Selkie 10

Postby Joe90_Remy700 » 03 Dec 2012, 19:52

OXM ETboy wrote:
Bezza89 wrote:The guy in the vid gave a lot of cool info, it's a shame some nutjob on youtube is giving me something more than an official outlet. Not really a criticism, but a valid point I think.

It's an older preview, not based on hands-on time if I remember correctly, and there were the usual mag wordcount issues to reckon with. I agree that SOD deserves more intensive coverage. The second we get ahold of a build of our own, rest assured I'll be supplying some :)

gunna hold you to that...

any word on release?!
GT: heart attak joe
Joe90_Remy700 44

Postby Bezza89 » 03 Dec 2012, 20:46

Early 2013 apparently, should bridge the gap between me finishing FC3 and skyrim dlc with GTAV.
It's all in the game...
Bezza89 65