to access exclusive content, comment on articles, win prizes and post on our forums. Not a member yet? Join now!

Apology

The magazine, the website, the disc, the OXM Report and more

Apology

Postby OXM ETboy » 03 Dec 2012, 20:34

I wrote a piece this afternoon about subscription discounts which deployed some rather indecent humour. Just wanted to say sorry to all those who were unfortunate enough to read it. I have no idea what I was thinking, frankly.
OXM ETboy
OXM Staff

Re: Apology

Postby Bezza89 » 03 Dec 2012, 20:37

Kind of want to read it now so I can get overly offended by something I'm not bothered about and accept your apology. :wink:
It's all in the game...
Bezza89 65

Postby msbhvn » 03 Dec 2012, 20:47

I think you were momentarily possessed by Frankie Boyle. Please don't let it happen again.

EDIT: Damn, genuinely didn't realise how bad that sounded. :oops:
Last edited by msbhvn on 03 Dec 2012, 21:38, edited 1 time in total.
I don't get the appeal at all. Like what do they do... say something stupid then read the replies while they touch themselves? - Vampyre_Ghost on trolls.
msbhvn 66

Postby KernowDevil23 » 03 Dec 2012, 21:16

I noticed it but only due to industry "legend" Julian "Jaz" Rignall flagging it up on Twitter.....

To be fair Ed, it may have been in slightly bad taste to some but I've read much worse that didn't even try to be funny. Some people are just a little too quick to jump on the bandwagon.

No harm, no foul.
I don't care if a game is "the same every year." So is pizza. Stop buying the bad pizza. Buy the good pizza.
KernowDevil23 56

Postby Grummy » 03 Dec 2012, 21:27

I do not accept your apology!!

Frankly Edwin, I am disgusted with you. Appalled and disgusted by this behaviour. It is beneath you. I thought you were a better man than this. To apologise when you have written something so unerringly inoffensive, it is disgusting. You ought to be ashamed of yourself! Pandering to the pathetic and maturely inadequate crybabies whinging over a nothing issue, that is lower than low. Despicable in fact.

:mrgreen:
One. Warrior. Nation.
Grummy 64
OXM Moderator

Postby SidTheSloth » 03 Dec 2012, 21:36

No worries Ed, we all make mistakes however trivial, not so many are as quick or honest enough to put their hands up though so kudos.

As for some of the comments in this thread though, really gents?
Sid is waving. Waving goodbye. It means he's leaving now. He's going. His final message to you, dear reader, is to always wash your hands after making a big pooh, and to remember that Hyrule Warriors is a thing…!
SidTheSloth 53

Postby Bezza89 » 03 Dec 2012, 21:40

SidTheSloth wrote:
As for some of the comments in this thread though, really gents?

What the hell did he write? 'I murder babies' with absolutely no sarcasm at all? lol I am intrigued as to what was written now.

I bet it's like when Jeremy Clarkson said he was going to shoot them teachers in front of their families, and then people didn't actually see what he said in context.
It's all in the game...
Bezza89 65

Postby KernowDevil23 » 03 Dec 2012, 21:45

It was a very loose suggestion that rather than spend £40 a year donating to starving African children, a 12 month subscription to OXM would be more beneficial.

I really did see the funny side but the more sensitive types clearly didn't!
I don't care if a game is "the same every year." So is pizza. Stop buying the bad pizza. Buy the good pizza.
KernowDevil23 56

Postby Bezza89 » 03 Dec 2012, 21:56

Ah, could be close to the bone I suppose. I'm an equal oppotunities humour guy so I'm not offended by any jokes, as long as they're funny. Frankie Boyle isn't funny imo, he's close to the bone - was it like him?
It's all in the game...
Bezza89 65

Postby Grummy » 03 Dec 2012, 22:08

Nope, nothing like Frankie Boyle. Ed's joke was basically a light hearted little comment, not raucously funny, but genuinely amusing. Frankie Boyle just beats the most offensive subjects into the ground. There are only so many times and so many ways he can say 'I'm going to shag a child' before it stops being amusing and becomes unfunny and offensive. Ed's was neither. Some people just want to be asshats and live their lives to bitch and complain about things. Ed really didn't need to apologise. People just need to grow up.
One. Warrior. Nation.
Grummy 64
OXM Moderator

Postby Plamsa wing » 03 Dec 2012, 22:27

I saw it, didn't think it was that bad really.

I've seen and heard alot worser jokes, I don't think this is anything to apologise for really.
"Hey! Don't lob factual statements at me as if they're insults!"
Plamsa wing 54

Postby FishyGinger » 03 Dec 2012, 23:45

KernowDevil23 wrote:It was a very loose suggestion that rather than spend £40 a year donating to starving African children, a 12 month subscription to OXM would be more beneficial.

Ha :P but why would starving african children buy an xbox magazine?

They blatantly own wiis.

I didn't see it but I don't think anyone really requires an apology here. Unless any of us are oxfam workers or starving children with an internet connection I can't see how we could be offended but I understand the sentiment.
I have given pleasure to the world because I have such a beautiful ass.
FishyGinger 66

Postby CunningSmile » 04 Dec 2012, 10:39

FishyGinger wrote:
KernowDevil23 wrote:It was a very loose suggestion that rather than spend £40 a year donating to starving African children, a 12 month subscription to OXM would be more beneficial.

Ha :P but why would starving african children buy an xbox magazine?

They blatantly own wiis.

I didn't see it but I don't think anyone really requires an apology here. Unless any of us are oxfam workers or starving children with an internet connection I can't see how we could be offended but I understand the sentiment.

I actually used to volunteer for Oxfam. I got in trouble once for suggesting that since most of these famines etc are deliberately caused by corrupt governments wouldn't we be better spending the donations on mercenaries to over throw them? Can't imagine why my boss took offence, seems perfectly logical to me.

And I missed Ed's article. I feel left out now :(
What do you get when you cross a joke with a rhetorical question?
CunningSmile 68
OXM Moderator

Postby FishyGinger » 04 Dec 2012, 10:57

CunningSmile wrote:
I actually used to volunteer for Oxfam. I got in trouble once for suggesting that since most of these famines etc are deliberately caused by corrupt governments wouldn't we be better spending the donations on mercenaries to over throw them? Can't imagine why my boss took offence, seems perfectly logical to me.

And I missed Ed's article. I feel left out now :(

I would have thunk most of it was because they can't grow enough with the temperatures, and as you say mixed in with a corrupt tribal system it's like sending money down a black hole. I'll save my charity for snow leopards and the were-jaguars of brazil.

Curing cancer will also end the human race but we mustn't think like that...apparently.
I have given pleasure to the world because I have such a beautiful ass.
FishyGinger 66

Postby CunningSmile » 04 Dec 2012, 11:23

FishyGinger wrote:I would have thunk most of it was because they can't grow enough with the temperatures, and as you say mixed in with a corrupt tribal system it's like sending money down a black hole. I'll save my charity for snow leopards and the were-jaguars of brazil.

Most modern famines (including the really high profile Ethiopian ones in the '80s) are actually more political than environmental. The '84 Ethiopian famine that spawn that god awful song (no they don't know it's Christmas, they're a predominantly Muslim country!) was jointly caused by a badly thought out hydroelectric dam and the government taking the crops from an ethnic group they wanted to wipe out. This was the same government we then gave £2m in charity to feed the people they were starving. As I said, hiring mercs just seems logical to me.

And where do I sign up for the were-jaguars?
What do you get when you cross a joke with a rhetorical question?
CunningSmile 68
OXM Moderator

Next