to join the Xbox community. Not a member yet? Join now!

Favourite FPS Mission

Playing them, beating them, moaning about them, celebrating them

Favourite FPS Mission

Postby PonderingWalrus » 05 Dec 2012, 21:08

I've been playing quite a bit of Halo 4 lately and although I think the campaign is good, I'm not sure if the levels are quite as brilliant as those of Halo 3.

"The Covenant" (7th mission of Halo 3) stands tall as probably my favourite mission in any shooting game ever because it is packed with so much variety. You've got firefights in open ground and tight corridors, some great ground and aircraft vehicle sections, a variety of enemies and a good range of environments which you actually have a reason to go through (rather than just being sent their randomly).

I will confess some of the magic of the level was lost when I realised the Arbiter would say "And so, you must be silenced" before killing Truth. I genuinely used to think he called him an asshole before impaling him with his energy sword. :P

Still... great mission. Anyone else care to share what their favourite FPS mission is and why?
There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary and those who don't.
PonderingWalrus 42

Re: Favourite FPS Mission

Postby Grummy » 05 Dec 2012, 21:26

Hmmmmm, tough one to call this.

All Ghillied up has to be on the list. It's the last truly great mission Call of Duty has provided. The perfect FPS mission really, the pacing, the level design, the mission objectives, it all worked perfectly.

If I was to pick an all time favourite though, it would have to go to Deus Ex: Invisible War. An early mission tasked you with killing a guy in his apartment, and there were 3 or 4 different routes you could take to get to him. The whole structure of how to reach him then kill him was sublime. In the end I crawled through the vents and shot him through the grate as he sat at his desk. A phenomenal moment.
One. Warrior. Nation.
Grummy 66
OXM Moderator

Postby Bezza89 » 05 Dec 2012, 22:24

Silent Cartographer demo sold the xbox to me, and gaming really as I was only really part time gamer with total war on pc. It's such an amazing level, and at the time it was technically brilliant too. Then there was the level after that! Assault on the Control Room, and let's not forget Halo, Truth and Recon to boot.

Other than that, I know it's against the concept of favourite mission and me having about 10, but I would say you'd struggle to find many really good fps levels outside of Halo, maybe cod - ghillied up was the tits, and CoD 2 is by and far the greatest ww2 game ever, I'd maybe even count Nightfire! Remember that? some of those levels were a lot of fun especially for James Bond games.

My mind is blank, I can't even think of FPS games now, Bad Company 2... the opening was good, but none of the other missions stood out, maybe that desert one...
...and if you tell that to the kids of today, they wont believe you!
Bezza89 68

Postby FishyGinger » 05 Dec 2012, 22:29

That is a hard one indeed. Ghillied up is a great mission as stated.

Duke Nukem 3d first level in the cinema, Any of the underground labs in stalker, ravenholm, the recreational deck on system shock 2, metroid prime phendrana drifts, dark forces 2 falling ship...so many

For me I'd guess off the top of my head it's between 3, the original Deus Ex first level around the statue, I must have played the demo of that 20 times and the first level in the original Unreal, on the ship after the crash landing. And lastly not really a level but coming out of the vault in fallout 3.
2 + 4 = Fish
FishyGinger 70

Postby comabob » 05 Dec 2012, 23:05

LOL

I read the topic and was coming in here to post All Ghillied Up - and im not exactly a cod fan but that mission was perfect.

The dam level in Timesplitters 2 was a personal favourite though.

And the bridge level in Killzone 3 was awesome from fps ive played lately.
"The boy said he's from hell. Maybe that's where we're going..."
comabob 52

Postby Decent_Jam » 06 Dec 2012, 00:48

comabob wrote:The dam level in Timesplitters 2 was a personal favourite though.

Agreed, great fun, quite liked the 1920s gangster level too to be honest, though really they were all good, such a top notch game.

I think it has to be Facility from Goldeneye for me, with Train (on Agent) a close second.
Decent_Jam

Game: GT - "Decent Jam"
Tweet: @James_Parry
Email: jamesmparry87@gmail.com
Site - This Is Entertainment: http://jamesmparry.wordpress.com/

Playing : Destiny, TF, Forza 5, KI - head to OXM Nights to meet up.
Decent_Jam 62

Postby Clanger67 » 06 Dec 2012, 00:52

I'll add my agreement to everybody elses with COD.

One of my others would be Fort Frolic from Bioshock and an evening with Sander Cohen,lol.

Also the Ocean Lab from the original Deus Ex,so much atmosphere in that level and all the experiments,mutated animals etc.
Last edited by Clanger67 on 06 Dec 2012, 00:57, edited 1 time in total.
Cry havoc ! and let slip the dogs of war.
Clanger67 60

Postby Decent_Jam » 06 Dec 2012, 00:54

Clanger67 wrote:I'll add my agreement to everybody elses with COD.

One of my others would be Fort Frolic from Bioshock and an evening with Sander Cohen,lol.

That's where I'm up to in BioShock now :) (I feel so proud for remembering)
Decent_Jam

Game: GT - "Decent Jam"
Tweet: @James_Parry
Email: jamesmparry87@gmail.com
Site - This Is Entertainment: http://jamesmparry.wordpress.com/

Playing : Destiny, TF, Forza 5, KI - head to OXM Nights to meet up.
Decent_Jam 62

Postby Clanger67 » 06 Dec 2012, 09:45

It's not really a shooter but the Shalebridge Cradle from Thief DS is still one of my favourite levels ever.Atmosphere just drips of that Lvl and i don't think any other Lvl ever,has made me jump as much as when i first played it back in the day.Also quite heart wrenching as you are trying to free the soul of a little girl who died at the orphanage as it was a really cruel place.Fantastic on your own with the lights out.
Clanger67 60

Postby CunningSmile » 06 Dec 2012, 10:34

Really not a CoD fan but have to agree with All Ghillied Up, the pacing and tension was amazing. Fort Frolic in Bioshock is also a personal favorite.

A real highlight for me was the first time in Metro 2033 you reach the surface. The whole game was brilliantly atmospheric, but the first time you leave the tunnels and look out over a ruined Moscow, with your slightly cracked gas mask fogging from your breath was just stunning. It's a problem I find with a lot of FPS, they are so busy delivering explosions they forget the quite moments have the biggest impact.
I dream of a world in which a chicken can cross the road without someone questioning his motives
CunningSmile 73
OXM Moderator

Postby FishyGinger » 06 Dec 2012, 11:05

Good shout for metro, started it up on pc last night to check it works before I dismantle the thing but it was the prologue where you go outside with everything charging by, quality game. After the ghillied up mission they just seemed to forget you need to build tension and excitement, going in the crash/bang/wallop and keeping it up for the whole game just feels so boring and devalues anything good.

And Clanger, that deus ex level was great. Only said the first one as I'd played it most and I'm a stupid gwailo but in truth every level was great.
2 + 4 = Fish
FishyGinger 70

Postby Clanger67 » 06 Dec 2012, 12:48

Yeah there are some mint Lvls in DE have a certain fondness for the ocean lab and Area 51 though.That's also one of the reasons i like HR so much they did a good job off putting you back in the mind of playing the first one. :D
Clanger67 60

Postby FishyGinger » 06 Dec 2012, 14:19

Pretty much everything could be done at least 2 ways so much more thought went into them. Hells kitchen, vandenburg, paris, all great.

I still remember the kill words for the 2 mechs from the very first time I played it when it first came out.

Outlaws had some good levels too, the train level was a nice one.
2 + 4 = Fish
FishyGinger 70

Postby Plamsa wing » 06 Dec 2012, 14:29

I can't remember All Ghillied Up being that good of a mission actually.

I quite like the ones on Star Wars: Republic Commando. Don't really have a favourite mission though, theres alot to take in, i.e mission structure, map layout, etc.
I spilled flour in my uncle's kitchen, now I've got a croissant.
Plamsa wing 57

Postby PonderingWalrus » 06 Dec 2012, 17:46

A Ghillied Up was good, there's no denying it. I'd say there is definitely better out there though.

I never saw the big deal with the Silent Cartographer. I played Halo:CEA after completing Halo 2, 3, ODST and Reach and found it's campaign to be the least enjoyable of the bunch. It was good, just nothing remotely special.

I don't remember the Dam mission from Timesplitters 2 but I do have fond memories of the whole of Future Perfect's campaign. Why aren't these games backwards compatible? Sort it out Microsoft! :x
There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary and those who don't.
PonderingWalrus 42

Next